Need Cleaning Saiga FAQ section with pictures

The damn manual just sucks or my dumb ass just needs pictures. I tried seaching everywhere here and have found pictures here and there. My main question is on disassembly or cleaning of the gas system. Otherwise, it should be a regular AK cleaning. I'll have to figure out how to disassemble/clean the polychoke also. Anyway, if anyone can help with pictures of the gas system disassembly, I would really appreciate it.

When I got mine, I was giddy to find out that the entire Saiga-12 setup is nearly identical to the AK. If you've field-stripped an AK, you have knowledge towards your Saiga. The only important difference (which I forgot to add) is unscrewing the gas manifold selector at the front of the gas tube to get rid of the oil (first cleaning) and the black burnt bits that tend to collect there.

KW

Edited by KyleWeiss

I just came in from the garage. Unscrewed the tube setting at the front, bunches of powder/grime in there. Figure I put 30 slugs and 3-400 rounds through it without opening that part up before. I unscrewed it and just wiped the inside, I'm not sure...was there supposed to be something in there? I saw the 2 holes on the bottom (barrel side)....am I supposed to use the hole punch on those? Suggestions/guidance please. On a regular AK the gas tube comes up and off..I dont see how this is the same. Do I need to take the handguard off?

I've got the bolt/carrier clean, fcg, and barrel. Just need to finish (start) the gas thing everyone talks about and then polychoke will be last. Amazing how much crap this thing will retain and keep on firing.

BTW, got 20rds out of it at the range today before they shut me down and said no shooting on holidays. :) hahaahah...errrr.... :(

Edited by Bullethose
I saw the 2 holes on the bottom (barrel side)....am I supposed to use the hole punch on those? Suggestions/guidance please. On a regular AK the gas tube comes up and off..I dont see how this is the same. Do I need to take the handguard off?

The gas tube on Saiga shotguns is not removable (unless you are trying to do some "heavy" modification...) so, if you already got the gas regulator out all the way, just spray some WD-40 or gun oil inside the gas chamber, turn the gun bbl down and the piston will (should) come out. :)

OK, I punched it and it moved. Is it supposed to come out the front or the back? ...you do mean ALL the way out, right?

Nevermind, I figured it out. I'll pull it out next time....probably have to punch it through from the back toward the front. It moved a bunch and I did try the charging and slamming it shut method, but it didnt come out. This is the worst system to clean perhaps ever. Talk about lead buildup! I hope I got the polychoke on right, but I'll find out pretty quickly tomorrow if I didnt. :)

Edited by Bullethose

post-526-1180355147_thumb.jpg

Use green scotchbright on the gas system, DRY.

Use anti-seeze on the blind plug threads and sliding contact surfaces of the trigger group.. Use Mobil one on everything else.

OK, I punched it and it moved. Is it supposed to come out the front or the back? ...you do mean ALL the way out, right?

Nevermind, I figured it out. I'll pull it out next time....probably have to punch it through from the back toward the front. It moved a bunch and I did try the charging and slamming it shut method, but it didnt come out. This is the worst system to clean perhaps ever. Talk about lead buildup! I hope I got the polychoke on right, but I'll find out pretty quickly tomorrow if I didnt. :)

i heard if you release the bolt and let the piston punch it it it is best... it is the natural design of the gun anyhow

Yeah unscrewing the gas manifold selector really gives a shock when all that crap falls out. It did for me too.

Sorry, I kind of figured you'd find out the gas tube wasn't removeable. That is a difference from the AK/SKS setup. You know that now, though.

...and you could have argued with them at the range that the holiday is actually today, not Sunday. :) It probably wouldn't have gotten you anywhere, but it helps people be specific. Usually they'll say "Well we just don't want you here..."

"...well just say so next time!" :lol:

That's why I avoid the range and enjoy my vast desert.

KW

The damn manual just sucks or my dumb ass just needs pictures. I tried seaching everywhere here and have found pictures here and there. My main question is on disassembly or cleaning of the gas system. Otherwise, it should be a regular AK cleaning. I'll have to figure out how to disassemble/clean the polychoke also. Anyway, if anyone can help with pictures of the gas system disassembly, I would really appreciate it.

i finally cleaned out my bitches gas system... 1000+ rounds and dirty... only took an hour

my mini-14 rancher... first time to clean... ever... 3 hours

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

you can go to www.wraithmaker.com and we will put a video on our site next week to show the way you need to clean you Saiga because it is important to keep it clean while you shoot to keep from having jams the gas system is very important to get right and we will help you with that. We have studied this shotgun and will be showing some different ways to improve you preforamance and enjoy your shooting. Watch our site for the viedo coming soon hope this helps.

Mike SR. Alliance Machine

Wraith Team

• 2 months later...

Yes, the piston comes out. It looks like a cylinder shaped piece of metal with two recessed stripes around it. Anything that is not solid steel should go away (usually lead buildup or burnt powder.

You can use a metal rod and punch it gently using a hammer (from the rear). It should drop out in the front if you unscrew and remove the gas selector.

Then clean it, oil it and put it back in. You can tell by the beating marks what way it goes back (even if it does not really matter if you reverse the piston). I usually use a sharp nife to cut of the crap from it.

The inside of the gas system can be cleaned using a copper brush or some cloth.

My guns does not need all that much cleaning and oiling.

I usually put a drop of oil on all parts where there is motion by metal agains metal and I can see wear.

If nobody else comes up with pics or video I might do that but it will take a day or two.