Conversion Battle - day 1 and 2

I'm on about hour 5-6 of my conversion and I'm still in the taking it apart phases. Although, I'm not mechanically inclined and I've improvised some tools etc, it's going fairly well.

I started out very strong, drilling out the first two rivets quickly.

The safety didn't seem like it could come out before the nearby pin, so I played around with those parts for a bit and finally got them all out.

The pin keeping the hammer/spring in gave me HUGE DIFFICULTIES! This one was really frustrating, but mostly because I wasn't thinking about it hard enough.

I eventually ended up using a nail or something to brace the hammer/spring down into a cocked position, this seemed to relieve a lot of the tension on the bar which was making it hard to slide out.

Moving onto the trigger guard and those rivets-

The trigger guard spot weld I drilled slightly off, and I'm a little worried because the trigger guard metal is very thin on one side but hopefully it will work, because from what I've read a new trigger guard is not easy.

I also drilled out the trigger guard / trigger plate back rivet to get the trigger guard free. I used an angle grinder to flatten the head of the rivet, then a center punch to center the drill. Drilling out this back rivet may have killed my bit, it is slaying alot less metal then it was brand new. I drilled the rivet down until the trigger guard started to wiggle, then I wiggled the guard until the rivet started to break free, allowing me to see exactly where the rivet was. After the guard came off I ground the rest of the rivet down and punched it on through.

At this point my girlfriend got pissed at me for not hanging out with her over the weekend and I had to stop : )

So I've got two of the tough rivets left, and then I move on to putting it back together again!

At this point my girlfriend got pissed at me for not hanging out with her over the weekend and I had to stop : )

So I've got two of the tough rivets left, and then I move on to putting it back together again!

So go rivet the girlfriend quickly and get back to the important stuff! :angel:

Guido2 in Houston

So go rivet the girlfriend quickly and get back to the important stuff! :angel:

Guido2 in Houston

Done!

Yeah, so anyway, I'm following the popular saiga conversion guide that hosted at cross-conn I believe.

By reading it sounds like I will soon have to cut a square hole for the pistol grip nut. Is this step at all difficult or does it pretty much just come down to taking some measurements and cutting a more or less square hole?

Hello, Doug

More than likely, you already have the square hole. If you still have the trigger blanking plate installed on the receiver, look through the top and you'll probably see the cut-out that the blanking plate is covering. May need a little Dremel-massaging to allow your PG nut to fit, but I bet most of the work has already been done for you.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Hello, Doug

More than likely, you already have the square hole. If you still have the trigger blanking plate installed on the receiver, look through the top and you'll probably see the cut-out that the blanking plate is covering. May need a little Dremel-massaging to allow your PG nut to fit, but I bet most of the work has already been done for you.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Right on brother, all the holes are already there!

I guess I'm closer to being done then I thought. It's been a serious learning experience, I think I could do it again MUCH faster, which is what most people say.

Thanks to all who post here for the info, support and fun so far!

Hello, Doug

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Right on brother, all the holes are already there!

I guess I'm closer to being done then I thought. It's been a serious learning experience, I think I could do it again MUCH faster, which is what most people say.

Thanks to all who post here for the info, support and fun so far!

When you re-install the trigger guard, try putting it on backwards from how it was originally set up. The backside is more square and fits against the mag removal housing better. You will still have to trim off the extra metal thet the guide you are using tells you to, but now your cut will be hidden by the housing.