What coating gives the best protection against gun cleaners, solvents?

I have learned a lot about coatings that can be applied to a Saiga polymer stock. All of the following are considered by the BEST by the member who posted the topic. Some involve baking, some bake them even though the instructions do not call for it, some require special primers, some no primers, the prices range from $3 a spray can to $20 (for DuraCoat or other 2 part coatings).

If you have applied a coating to your Saiga plastic stock, how would you rate it and why? If it is not in the list please feel free to respond.

Barbecue Grill Paint

Engine Paint

Duplicolor Paint.

Epoxy spray paint.

Krylon (what I used)

DuraCoat

etc.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

+1^^^^

MolyResin is the toughest stuff I've used and much more user friendly in my experience than DuraCoat. I haven't tried their non-bake product, but if they claim the same results as the bake on, I'd believe it. An option would to bake at a lower temp for plastic parts. I prefer the SOCOM/Flat black over the semi gloss. It still has a dull sheen to it and look more "black" to me.

i can understand wanting a paint that can stand up to solvents and such, but this is an ak. my cleaning is done with nothing more than a little CLP, a boresnake, and an old dry paintbrush. Are people really using other chemicals so heavily that getting them on the stock set is that big of a problem ?

I don't know about solvents but I have used thee types of rattle can paints BBQ paint baked on, (can't recall the name) paint for metal, and krylon fusion (any hitting it really quick with a blow torch).

I can see bare metal with the first two just behind the pistol grip, the krylon fusion seems to be doing fine.

I am glad I just painted the receiver bottom of my conversions, otherwise I would have crappy BBQ paint flaking off of three rifles.

I am sure the epoxy paints are good. And you know anything that Tony recommends is going to be the best there is.

Edited by csspecs

I'm just getting going on the Duracoat - seems pretty good.

More options for colors, etc.

I've used K&G in the past with good results too.

BreakFree will remove your factory finish if you rub it in...be careful. It generally flashes off, but if it's trapped in a rag it will last longer. I used it just recently to clean up a messy factory serial # smear job and the rag started turning dark. It will damage Krylon, Duplicolor & standard oven/grill paint too.

BreakFree will remove your factory finish if you rub it in...be careful. It generally flashes off, but if it's trapped in a rag it will last longer. I used it just recently to clean up a messy factory serial # smear job and the rag started turning dark. It will damage Krylon, Duplicolor & standard oven/grill paint too.

what do you use to paint your parts you make? that stuff is indestructable....

what do you use to paint your parts you make? that stuff is indestructable....

Depends which parts - some of the older stuff was duplicolor & K&G gunkote - which is generally great - and lately it's been Duracoat.

Might try some Moly soon just to say I did it & compare.