Just a review of 30 rd Surefire mags for 223 Saigas

If you guys do not convert your 223 Saiga rifles, these mags are great. They are Weiger mags converted to fit unconverted Saigas. They fit perfectly with no wobble and fire EVERY time.

If you do the math with the Weiger Mag, feed ramp and your time, it is almost a wash price wise compared to just buying these mags. I have a bunch of them for 4 saiga 223 and they perform the same in every one of my rifles. Just an FYI for us chickens that dont want to convert but want high cap.

If you guys do not convert your 223 Saiga rifles, these mags are great. They are Weiger mags converted to fit unconverted Saigas. They fit perfectly with no wobble and fire EVERY time.

If you do the math with the Weiger Mag, feed ramp and your time, it is almost a wash price wise compared to just buying these mags. I have a bunch of them for 4 saiga 223 and they perform the same in every one of my rifles. Just an FYI for us chickens that dont want to convert but want high cap.

I purchased a Surefire Saiga 223 30rd mag via the Internet last week. Like you, I do not want to convert my Saiga to an assault rifle configuration, but I would like to have the 30rd capacity on the range. After I have some time on the range with it, I may convert the trigger mechanism without the pistol grip, stock or muzzle break additions. While I believe I am competent enough to do the modifications, I'm not in the market yet.

Upon receipt of the magazine, I tried to insert it and found that it does not fit. From what I can see and have read, I will have to do some metal removal (mag, rifle or possibly both) in order to get the mag to seat/lock and feed properly and possibly have to add a ramp. Did you have to do any of these modifications to get your mags to seat/lock into position? If so, was it necessary to remove metal from the mag or the rifle?

post-6559-1180407065.jpg

post-6559-1180407260.jpg

These pictures are the metal removal points from the rifle.

Edited by dbl8ts

I gotta respectfully disagree with you Arbud. For 50$ a mag, they ought to do more than just hold 30 rounds and function.

A bulletguide will last the life of the gun, and will allow you to use- depending on your mods, pretty much any applicable mag out on the market. I can get new Bulgarian ak74 mags for 7.50 each. Lets say you and I both break a mag somehow... I'm out 7.50 and you're out 50$. Bullet guide 20$, 4 mags @ 7.50= 30$ VS 1 mag 50$. We could factor in compliance parts, but neither the surefire nor the AK74 mag has any us made parts in them. 2 mags=100$ vs bulletguide 20$ and 10 mags @ 7.50 = 75$. SO I can have 2 mags for 100$ or 10 mags for 95$. The more mags you have the more sense a bulletguide makes, and you could make one up yourself and go even cheaper than 20$. Or for the price difference add US followers and floorplates. Also I can use these in AK74's. Of course the Surefiremags are ready to plug and play, no modification required- that counts for somthing... just not 50$ worth in my opinion.

Error! Disregard previous post. I found that I was just being too timid about pressing any harder on the mag that I thought I should. :wub: After getting it to seat for the first time, I have not had any problems. It does seem to wobble from side-to-side a bit, but it is solid front to back. I won't get out to the range until 06/02, but I look forward to my first shots with this rifle and getting it sighted in properly. :killer:

JK-47, you are right about the cost. Even the 10-shot mags are costly. Wish I had your and others' gunsmithing skills. If I did, I'd give one or two of those mags a try. I know I would never try to drill and tap the receiver to accept the ramp you gentlemen say is needed with the modifications you made. One 30-rounder at $50.00 is enough for me right now. I do not anticipate firing the cases of ammo most fire from theirs, but I do expect to use it more often than I do my hunting rifles (outdoor ranges are 60 miles roundtrip and open only on certain days and odd hours). That's what I bought the Saiga for in the first place. Can't beat the price of the .223 REM ammo yet, but I'm sure transportation costs will make that a thing of the past soon.

Edited by dbl8ts

Don't go praising my skills just yet- I haven't even converted, however the parts are on order! I just bought my saiga and I want to have it and the magazines I want all put together NOW incase of annother G'damned ban. I guess you could loctite or jb-weld a bulletguide into place; I just would never risk it because when/if that stuff breaks it crumbles- and just a little piece in the barrel can go kaboom if you send a round after it. Drill press/ dremmel should be fine. The cost of ammo is putting a big dent in my plan to stock up, which is why I'm eyeing 5.45x39 closely right now.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, do the surefire(weiger) mags qualify for three(3) of the magical items on our saigas list. i am a total newbbie on the ak and all the amount of compliance threads and replies i've read have totally confused me. thanks for any replies and sorry for the trouble, i know some of this stuff is easy forsome to understand than me.

Nope... these mags are not US made so they don't count.

I have three of these mags that I'd like to sell actually. All three fit and feed perfectly and are in perfect shape (used one time). I'd take $125 shipped for them. If anyone is interested, PM me before they go up for sale.

• 6 months later...
I've got a 30rd surefire mag and it's got "MADE IN USA" on the side of it. Thats gotta mean compliance parts right!?!

If you look at the date on these posts, the OP was referring to a previous name-holder for a simlilar product.

Yours contain 3 US parts toward compliance.

The new polymer .223 mags by Surefire are good. They lock the bolt back after the last shot, although the bolt releases when the mag is removed.

I believe there are now at least three companies making polymer high (or higher) cap mags for various Saiga models: Surefire, FBMG, and AGP (10 round mag for Saiga 12).

Monomonk