Who's your daddy?

Wally world has green box UMC .223 for about $6... its brass, not too bad.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_inf...;products_id=13

not sure how much is left, this is for the West Coast;

Wolf 223 Rem 55gr Bi-Metal JHP, 20 rds (Polymer Coated)

Unit Price $4.35

Quantity Discounts

1+ $4.35

25+ $4.19 ($104.75)

50+ $4.09 ($204.50)

Dinzag's parts came in today. Cleared up the jams, though I needed to polish the feed ramp. So, so far she'll hand cycle a whole mag fine. Won't get to shoot it til next week.

One thing is the locking tab is at an angle and needs to be smacked down so that its parallel with the gun when locked in. That was keeping the rear of the mag too low and causing the bolt to skip over the case head and hang on the shell.

Also these mods mean you can lock in a Galil mag without shaving down the sides. We'll see if the mods cause any jams on the Galil mag when I take it out next week.

thanks for listening

dyi

• 2 weeks later...

Went shooting yesterday and met a fellow forum member (rapid firing from an AGP mag gives it away ;)

I can say.... she shoots without a hitch!

Unmodified Galil mags click in and fire without any issues

Unmodified M16 mags click in and fire without any issues.

I used FMJ and HP remington for the test.

Much thanks to Dinzag for the feed ramp, handguard mount, and upper gas tube. Need a 223 TAT for the muzzle break.

Its official, the ORF M16 mag adapter is a very worthy S223 addition!

Here she is:

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

The last pic shows how the feed ramp needs to be modified for Magpul mags (round the corners)

Awesomely cool man! Glad she's working!

Looks cool as hell too :super:

Thanks Bro!

The red dot is a bit high for me but I'm a left eyed right handed shooter so it kind of works out I guess.

+1 for Dinzag's stuff.

PS Dinzag also has the proper 14x1 tap kit for .223's including the TAT not found in most kits.

Shoot - I would be waiting on your every word on this conversion (it looks GREAT!), but I've got more $5 Galil Orlites than I have $14 AR Adventure Lines.

I have two Saiga .223's that are ready to convert. I am torn on which magazine option to go and which is the most cost effective. I noticed that AIM has Galil 35rd Orlite's for $14 + S&H...you found them for $5? Love to know where. Then I see this mod which in the long run could be a great option considering I have a Daewoo DR-200 which also uses AR mags. Then there is the 5.45x39 option...still need Robarms followers though, correct...not sure the going price or where to get these. And finally there is the potential for using an XCR adapter/mag well and RedJacket is going to test this. Just not sure which route to go as this confuses and boggles me.

I noticed that AIM has Galil 35rd Orlite's for $14 + S&H...you found them for $5? Love to know where.

I got them from CDNN, last year. I bought them on the recommendations of folks here, before I even owned a Saiga. Looked like a deal that wouldn't last long...

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on how many mags you want to have and whether US parts is a concern.

The cheapest option right now is to buy orlites or the AK74 12 pack from ORF, and 12 robarms followers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You need to put a beta mag on that thing and post a pic!

All that would take is the proper tower on the .223 version.. and IIRC there's someone who posted they had those towers here...

Yeah I've fabbed a feed tower for my beta using a 74' mag as a donor. Works in my Saiga .223 and my Rommy SAR-3

All that would take is the proper tower on the .223 version.. and IIRC there's someone who posted they had those towers here...

Yeah I've fabbed a feed tower for my beta using a 74' mag as a donor. Works in my Saiga .223 and my Rommy SAR-3

Will on OEM 10 rounder or a Galil 12 rounder work for a feed tower?

Will on OEM 10 rounder or a Galil 12 rounder work for a feed tower?

I don't see why not. An OEM 10 rounder will probably need some material added as it'll be too short though. I had plans to fab a tower using a 10 round weiger magazine but ended up not doing it as the 74' mag works so great.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After chewing out SaigaNoobie's ass over wanting to grind of the third lug on his saiga 308, I would feel negligent if I didn't point out the fact that you are removing metal from at least one locking lug, possibly two, including the third lug... I don't ahve a saiga 223 in front of me right now, but I am familiar with this conversion. I dd one myself a few years back. :cryss:

In my mind, this suddenly does not seem very safe. :ded:

• 2 months later...
After chewing out SaigaNoobie's ass over wanting to grind of the third lug on his saiga 308, I would feel negligent if I didn't point out the fact that you are removing metal from at least one locking lug, possibly two, including the third lug... I don't ahve a saiga 223 in front of me right now, but I am familiar with this conversion. I dd one myself a few years back. :cryss:

In my mind, this suddenly does not seem very safe. :ded:

Its very safe, I measured the lugs on a regular AKM (7.62). The Saiga ones are taller from the start. Oh by the way, the left lug does nothing anyway on 223 and 762. The active left lug is the upper one, not the lower one. Thanks for the advice anyway... if you did a conversion a couple years ago, you'd know that.

• 9 months later...