Interest call for handloaded exotic shotgun ammo

BRG3: try some remington hollow point "sluggers" in your rifled barrel. if you want to see why a round ball load wont work in a rifled barrel, take an airgun that shoots pellets (with a rifled bore of course) and shoot a few bbs down it on low power. its not a golf ball. although that isnt a bad concept, the dimples in a lead ball

I HAVE considered a MINIBALL round with a little extra tin in it to lessen weight. A miniball is what they used in the civil war, if you dont know. it is a BULLET, not a BALL.

Bvamp- I was (mostly)joking about the point detonating rounds, I know they are not legal.....ditto for the cyanide,mercury,etc...I would definitely not consider using things like that unless it was a clear SHTF situation......and I would never ask anyone to commercially produce or sell such things....

I remember reading somewhere that mercury is bad mojo for both brass and lead. Oldtimers used to use liquid mercury to clean up badly leaded barrels, and mercuric embrittlement (if I remember correctly?) of brass cartridges is the reasons that mercuric primers are shunned by brass cartridge collectors. :unsure:

I'm referring to the idea of using brass cased cartriges (instead of modern plastic) with mercury filled slugs when talking about mercuric embrittlement though.

Probably. I still wouldn't want to fuck around with mercury though. :unsure:

Especially mercury going at high velocities. :eek:

That you shoot living shit with. :blink:

You did see that 1970's movie "Prophecy," right? :D

Probably. I still wouldn't want to fuck around with mercury though. :unsure:

Especially mercury going at high velocities. :eek:

That you shoot living shit with. :blink:

You did see that 1970's movie "Prophecy," right? :D

iwas only thinking mercury payload... fill at the range... 100 hard target only

no critter

but mostly wondering if anyone had done it

Why then? As far as I know, mercury is not explosive or anything. :unsure:

And as far as I heard, anything seen in "Day of the Jackal" was mostly bullshit anyway. :rolleyes:

If you want hydrostatic expansion, use bearing grease or something in the hollow point. :killer:

Why then? As far as I know, mercury is not explosive or anything. :unsure:

And as far as I heard, anything seen in "Day of the Jackal" was mostly bullshit anyway. :rolleyes:

If you want hydrostatic expansion, use bearing grease or something in the hollow point. :killer:

i heard the extra density makes for more devasting impact

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you have an open mind and like experimenting with shit like that (that's how improvements are made in the firearms world). :up:

It's just that (especially with the environmentalists already up in arms & carping about all the extra (extremely toxic :rolleyes: ) lead put into the soil at shooting ranges), that they'll really shit a brick when ( and if? :unsure: ) they ever catch you flinging liquid mercury around everywhere at high velocites on top of it all. :eek:

Anyway, sorry for coming off sounding like a real prick in my last few postings on here. :huh:

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you have an open mind and like experimenting with shit like that (that's how improvements are made in the firearms world). :up:

It's just that (especially with the environmentalists already up in arms & carping about all the extra (extremely toxic :rolleyes: ) lead put into the soil at shooting ranges), that they'll really shit a brick when ( and if? :unsure: ) they ever catch you flinging liquid mercury around everywhere at high velocites on top of it all. :eek:

Anyway, sorry for coming off sounding like a real prick in my last few postings on here. :huh:

you didn't come off that way at all... honest intelligent answer i asked for

besides if the forum crzy recomends against it... i oughta listen

furthermore... i got a whole new idea... elemental sodium... extremely light metal reacts VIOLENTLY with water... carp fishing maybe... at least blow the living crap out of water jugs

liquid and mercury combined as a term is temperature relevant first of all. mercury turns to liquid at a specific temperature, is all. lead does too. these temps are different.

the round IS TOO HEAVY when fully loaded.

see, the real issue is, even if you back the powder back a percentage equal to the percent increase of weight of the slug, the chamber pressure because it is a certain explosion (thats what happens when you fire a round out of any gun), does not decrease the same proportion as the weight just increased in proportion to the slug.

meaning. if you light (for simplicity sake) a half pound of gunpowder at once. the explosive effect of THAT, is NOT the exact HALF of a POUND of that same powder. it is MORE than that.

12 gauge is designed for 1 1/4oz payloads or less. simple. if you go over that, and still max things out, you are asking to kill someone with an overloaded round.

you cant double the weight of the projectile and half the powder, and expect the chamber pressure to be the same, because it wont be.

I should make some recoil reducers out of the gallon or so of mercury I have in the shop.........tell you whut....

Originally I voted for 20 and 12 gauge but at this time I would like to say that 10 gauge would be nice too since I intend to build myself a tacti-cool Browning BPS-10.

I shoot only factory ammo, and will shoot re-loads if and when I can re-load my own. No cut on anyone else, but I got to be old, and would like to get a LOT older (unless i do something crazy myself!)

I understand that GOB. I feel the same way, which is why I will be thoroughly testing these rounds first before offering ANYTHING loaded. I may offer load data and payloads for trial use to some people down the road.

it wont happen overnight, like i stated, but it will happen.

• 2 years later...