New York Assault Weapon Law

Dude they are all around here like flies on a turd. I'm assuming you are talking about "latinos"....arrrggh

Between them and the steady influx of Nyers and Floridians we will soon have to start building into the ground and into the sky because we are running out of room fast. And unless we start getting vehicles that buz around in the air <think Jetsons...lol> we will not evenbe able to move around in ten years.

• 1 year later...
I DO know from many telephone calls to various people in the know in NY, that you cannot pistol grip a saiga 12. you CAN pistol grip the rifles, so long as they meet "post ban" NY law, however. using post ban mags in excess of ten rounds (for some reason the law was telling me it mysteriously changed to FIVE rounds for all guns, which is OBVIOUSLY a glitch and I want to know how it got in there) in one is a no-no in NY, as it was explianed to me, however.

the laws BEFORE were written to be inclusive, and it seems that some of them have changed mysteriously to me. maybe someone else has heard of 265 changes in NY? cause I SURE havent.

Sorry I'm new here but will be receiving my Saiga 12 next week and am from NY state and am familiar with the assault weapon law here. I believe the max magazine capacity is 10 in New York. The 5 round max capacity comes into play only for fixed magazine shotguns and applies as an attribute of an assault weapon (1 of 2) and should not be confused as a separate max cpacity for detachable shotgun mags. I am not a lawyer though but that is how the law reads to me, there is nothing in the law that calls out a separate removable magazine capacity for shotguns.

Congrats! You must be a necromancer becaws you raised this thread from the dead! First post too!

I would agree with you, and my 10 round mags sure do too, of course in NY its all in how your judge interprits the laws, and how well your lawyer bullshits. Remember its a judges job to find meaning of the law, not yours.

I DO know from many telephone calls to various people in the know in NY, that you cannot pistol grip a saiga 12. you CAN pistol grip the rifles, so long as they meet "post ban" NY law, however. using post ban mags in excess of ten rounds (for some reason the law was telling me it mysteriously changed to FIVE rounds for all guns, which is OBVIOUSLY a glitch and I want to know how it got in there) in one is a no-no in NY, as it was explianed to me, however.

the laws BEFORE were written to be inclusive, and it seems that some of them have changed mysteriously to me. maybe someone else has heard of 265 changes in NY? cause I SURE havent.

Sorry I'm new here but will be receiving my Saiga 12 next week and am from NY state and am familiar with the assault weapon law here. I believe the max magazine capacity is 10 in New York. The 5 round max capacity comes into play only for fixed magazine shotguns and applies as an attribute of an assault weapon (1 of 2) and should not be confused as a separate max cpacity for detachable shotgun mags. I am not a lawyer though but that is how the law reads to me, there is nothing in the law that calls out a separate removable magazine capacity for shotguns.

Correct... firearms and magazines are regulated separately in NY. The Saiga-12 firearm has no magazine. It only has the ability to accept a detachable magazine. The only magazine restriction we have is no 10+ mags manufactured after the 94 AWB. It should be perfectly legal to use a 10-round mag in a Saiga-12.

FWIW, the BATF came to the same conclusion during the Federal ban. Using a 6-10 round mag in a Saiga-12 did not make it an illegal assault weapon. However, the only 5+ mags available then were the Russian 8-rounders. Those were a no-go in stock Saigas, as it would violate 922r. The BATF counted 13 imported parts in the Saiga. 3 were in the mag, so using a US 5+ mag supposedly brought you into compliance.

Edited by GTwannabe

Whoa zombie thread my bad, yeah I think I was in a search and thought this was a newer post. But yes the law does not say anything about limiting shotguns to 5 rounds you can even have a fixed magazine over 5 rounds you just cannot have any other evil assault weapon part. I just see a lot of NY guys going out of their way to buy 5 round mags when they don't have to. I talked to my FFL about this today and he agreed and ordered me some 10 round mags so I think I'm comfortable with the legality of it.