Opinion on Stock Handguard

Can not decide if I like the stock shark handguard or not. It definitely will keep your pinkies safer since it covers more of the barrel. With vents it looks a lot better. On the flip side the exposed gas tube and barrel is so AK.

I think I am going to add the tapco galil handguard. How comfortable is it to hold.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't like mine, it felt unnatural to me so I vented my original and slapped it back on, now I'm happy.  

The Tapco Intrafuse handguards are pretty well-made and absolutely solid, (as some Tapco products are; e.g. Tapco G2 FCG, Tapco SAW grip, etc). They have a steel heat-shield on the lower handguard, j

IMHO, the stock handguard is hideous. That said, I've seen some members transform theirs into something that's not as bland or boring, with a sense of style. But I'm an old school guy, so I'll take th

Posted Images

So cool, Devin. Very cool.

I went through the same thing when I was going through the dressing up options. I bought one of Dinzags gas tubes, and retainers for the AK style hand guard with Russian Laminate wood. Worked real good, however, I had my stock hand guard fluted, and decided I liked the ergonomics, and looks of it better. The only thing I had to do was lock tight the screw that holds in the receiver end. It would vibrate loose after only a couple mags.

I'm told the Tapco hand guard is a bit wide, and cumbersome, but most people like them.

If you do go with the AK style hand guard, defiantly get one of Dinzags retainers, and gas tubes. It will add to the cost, but it's solid.

Thanks!

I think I used a 5/16" or 3/8" 4 flute endmill for the sides and 1/4" for the bottom, 2 flute would work just as well. Just watch out, there is metal inside the plastic, up towards the front where I did the two round vents, you dont want to hit it unless you have the hanguard secured VERY firmly. Sometimes you can see it all, sometimes you can't. I used a magnet locate it all to rule out that possibility. I originally wanted to make those two holes larger and a little lower, but it was not meant to be.

Have fun, and don't forget to post pics. :smoke:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I prefer the Saiga handguard to a typical AK front end. More area to hold onto, more flexibility to where you hold it. I never liked the feel AKs much, but convinced myself to buy a Saiga X39. After conversion, I was amazed and concluded that a Saiga with P-grip conversion was the ideal tactical carbine.

To each his own. Folks who leave their factory handguards behind make them available for other projects, like AMD pistols.

"and concluded that a Saiga with P-grip conversion was the ideal tactical carbine." My sentiment exactly, I wouldn't touch the hand guard on my rifle, it looks excellent the way it sits, covers alot of the barrel so no burns; overall it's a wonderful unit. If the screw in the receiver is backing out on you put some green or purple loc tite on it; problem solved.

The original handguard is a combination of looks and functionality that's hard to beat. The vent holes you guys have added make it even better. Only negative is that you can't hang stuff on it....other than a sling.

So I bought one of those 80 buck Sure-Fire tri-rails. Hope to put it on my carbine this week. It's very well made, but I'm not sure I'll like it as well. Not much flexibility on where you can place your hand. But, it's a good way to go if you like bipods or want the gun to light up like the front of a fire truck.

Bob

I don't particularly like the stock Saiga handguard, I like the classic AK look and the handguards are a big part of that. But then again I didn't have to deal with replacing it, my rifle had plum K-var furniture installed when I bought it. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I can't stand the flimsy stock handguard. I tried the Tapco Galil handguard and hated it, is too fat, doesn't fit my hand well. I immediately took it off and ended up selling it with one of my converted Saiga's. Right now, my conversions are wearing the SGM Tactical tri-rail with Pro-Mag sling swivels. I love the tri-rail, very well built, fits perfectly, looks alot better than the stock handguard, is vented, appears to have some kind of metal liner. At $80, they're not cheap, but worth every penny.

I went with the UTG Quad Rail. Bolts right on, good grip and my red dot holds a great zero

I've got one of their quads on my Yugo underfolder. It definitely does the job, and does it well. For my SGL20, I'm considering going with an Ultimak gas tube to mount a Russian red dot or Aimpoint, (either that or the LaRue AK Irondot setup), since the AKLB, (AK Lightning Bolt), I have on the way will not allow me to use the receiver side-mount for sights/scopes.

• Like 1
The original handguard is a combination of looks and functionality that's hard to beat. The vent holes you guys have added make it even better. Only negative is that you can't hang stuff on it....other than a sling.

So I bought one of those 80 buck Sure-Fire tri-rails. Hope to put it on my carbine this week. It's very well made, but I'm not sure I'll like it as well. Not much flexibility on where you can place your hand. But, it's a good way to go if you like bipods or want the gun to light up like the front of a fire truck.

Bob

I have seen several on this forum that have rails fabbed up to them, I am planning on putting a rail on my 308's factory guard.

I like my stock handguard after adding some vents. It looks good with a choate dragunov stock, they match well. I think I may go with a galil pistol grip and a krinkov style triangle stock at some point. The stock handguard goes well with a 20" barrel. Since I'm not trying to "clone" any rifle in particular the stock handguard is fine, looks good with most black furniture.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually like the stock handguard once it is vented a bit. Feels a lot like a G3 or FN-FAL. I switched to the K-Var AK103 style though for two reasons. The stock handguard, even after venting, gets damn hot. The K-Var has a stainless heat reflector shield that works EXCELLENT! Second, I was converting to the AK103 look with the 24mm FSB and brake, so I figured it would look better, and it did.

I like the stock handguard for what it is. However, I bought an Ultimak gas tube rail for my gun and it won't work with the stock handguard. Surefire's tri-rail won't work with the Ultimak either....tried it last night. Hate the thought of dropping $220 into an Ultimak handguard. That's almost another Saiga....or 1000 rounds of something!!

If you're not going to mess the with the Ultimak and don't need rails or a U.S. part from the handguard, then there's nothing wrong with the factory part. It looks nice, works good, and it's paid for.

Bob

Edited by 555JM
  • 3 weeks later...

Bob

Did you get the Sure-Fire in?? Hows it fit and working out?? Was thinking of that myself??

Its just in front of the light on the pic.

I needed to change mine to be able to use import mags and glad I did. The Infusion is very nicely done and not horribly over priced as all the others. Picking up three rails isnt a bummer either.

I like the stock handguard. Very comfy. If someone in the USA made one that was identical, I'd already have one. That new one from Tapco is about as close as I've found. Don't care for all the rails, though. Removeable, but then I've got screw holes staring at me. <_<

• 2 weeks later...