Opinion on Stock Handguard

I don't mind the factory handguard, but I was sick of smelling burning plastic every time I shot, so I got the Tapco Galil HG.

2m841og.jpg

Seems alright so far.

EDIT : quick note. I think a lot of the people who had a problem with it coming loose really just didn't tighten it enough. Seriously, you gotta give it some oomph :-P

Edited by Big Boss
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't like mine, it felt unnatural to me so I vented my original and slapped it back on, now I'm happy.  

The Tapco Intrafuse handguards are pretty well-made and absolutely solid, (as some Tapco products are; e.g. Tapco G2 FCG, Tapco SAW grip, etc). They have a steel heat-shield on the lower handguard, j

IMHO, the stock handguard is hideous. That said, I've seen some members transform theirs into something that's not as bland or boring, with a sense of style. But I'm an old school guy, so I'll take th

Posted Images

The stock hand guard is too hot for me here in Az. After 30 rounds it is hot, and after 60 it is almost too hot to shoot. I don't think cutting breather holes in it will solve the problem so I ordered a UTG quad rail. I figure with the rubber rail covers on it will eliminate this problem. Plus stockers are just ugly IMO.

I have a melted factory Saiga 7.62 handguard if anybody wants to see it I'll take a pic of it for ya.Anything has got to be an upgrade from the factory unit doesn't it?

Edited by SOPMOD
I have a melted factory Saiga 7.62 handguard if anybody wants to see it I'll take a pic of it for ya.Anything has got to be an upgrade from the factory unit doesn't it?

I am not surprised. That's why I switched from the ventilated factory handguard to the AK100 series from K-Var. If I shot 200 rounds (or less quick) the factory handguard got too hot. It's a shame, as it is comfortable and protects you front the "in front of the handguard AK finger sizzle." The AK100 series works excellent!

• 1 month later...

I hadn't thought of this until reading these posts but bear with me for a moment. If you go to your local auto parts store you can find some adhesive tape designed to be wrapped around headers (you can also find the much more expensive fiberglass wrap). If you were to remove the HG and put a layer of this into it would it remedy the problem of a too hot HG? I guess the only problem I could see is that the heat has to go somewhere and it might reflect too much of it back to the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Any saiga specific handguard does not require a lower handguard retainer.

Tapco galil saiga handguard

UTG saiga quadrail

Tapca saiga intrafuse

DPH Tri rail

Surefire tri rail

and there are probably some others.

Or ventilate and add rails to the stock guard.

Pretty much all other handguards made for ak will require a handguard retainer.

Any saiga specific handguard does not require a lower handguard retainer.

Tapco galil saiga handguard

UTG saiga quadrail

Tapca saiga intrafuse

DPH Tri rail

Surefire tri rail

and there are probably some others.

Or ventilate and add rails to the stock guard.

Pretty much all other handguards made for ak will require a handguard retainer.

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks much!

~Norinco

I hadn't thought of this until reading these posts but bear with me for a moment. If you go to your local auto parts store you can find some adhesive tape designed to be wrapped around headers (you can also find the much more expensive fiberglass wrap). If you were to remove the HG and put a layer of this into it would it remedy the problem of a too hot HG? I guess the only problem I could see is that the heat has to go somewhere and it might reflect too much of it back to the barrel.

Thats a good question. I love the stock HG but the heat is a problem. Since heat rises, I don't see the use in ventilating the guard from the bottom. The sides couldn't hurt but I think you need something more. There is hardly any room between the guard and the barrel and I think thats the problem. Maybe some kind of RPK style heatsink, like you find on your CPU.

I think the problem with the insulation option would be that the heat wouldn't be transferring anywhere; so I guess if you did what you are suggesting you would just be heating up the barrel more, and in theory if it kept the guard cooler it might be viable.

Or....water cool it like the Maxim :smoke:

Thats a good question. I love the stock HG but the heat is a problem. Since heat rises, I don't see the use in ventilating the guard from the bottom. The sides couldn't hurt but I think you need something more. There is hardly any room between the guard and the barrel and I think thats the problem. Maybe some kind of RPK style heatsink, like you find on your CPU.

I think the problem with the insulation option would be that the heat wouldn't be transferring anywhere; so I guess if you did what you are suggesting you would just be heating up the barrel more, and in theory if it kept the guard cooler it might be viable.

Or....water cool it like the Maxim :smoke:

i used this welders fabric i got at home depot for a heat shield. its like quarter inch thick fabric and i lined it at the bottom of my HG up to my vent holes, it did a good job but i was worried about the heat being transfered to the barrel and possibly over heating the barrel after a couple hundred rounds of medium speed consistent fire.

Any thoughts? ( the fabric came in contact with the barrel and singed some of the fabric, it didnt burn any fabric off but it got kindal llike singed the threads together)

I don't mind the factory handguard, but I was sick of smelling burning plastic every time I shot, so I got the Tapco Galil HG.

2m841og.jpg

Seems alright so far.

EDIT : quick note. I think a lot of the people who had a problem with it coming loose really just didn't tighten it enough. Seriously, you gotta give it some oomph :-P

Man, that is one beautiful rifle you've got there...

I had the Tapco Galil handguard on the 223 I had. It worked very well, especially after I put a heatshiel from an M4 handguard in it under and around the barrel. It reflected the heat upward. If I get another 223, that is the way I would go, along with Galil orlites like I had.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I'd really like to see your pic of the melted HG.

I'm kind of concerned about the stock HG not cutting it in a SHTF scenario cause I want my handguard to be able to keep up with my barrel and overall weapon design. I wonder if lining the stock HG with reflective tape (heating and air type or the header stuff) would bring it up to an acceptable level.

Also anyone have any issues the tapco Galil HG melting?

I have love my ultimak rails and I don't want to pay $200 to get a good performing HG to go with it. (I'm throwing around the idea of trying to install a standard AK retainer with kvar HGs) Right now I have a modified stock HG with an ultimak on my 5.45x39, and a tapco galil HG on my 7.62x39. But I like the feel and overall design of the stock HG I just don't want it to melt off....

Edited by Krom

Yeah I'd really like to see your pic of the melted HG.

I'm kind of concerned about the stock HG not cutting it in a SHTF scenario cause I want my handguard to be able to keep up with my barrel and overall weapon design. I wonder if lining the stock HG with reflective tape (heating and air type or the header stuff) would bring it up to an acceptable level.

Also anyone have any issues the tapco Galil HG melting?

I have love my ultimak rails and I don't want to pay $200 to get a good performing HG to go with it. (I'm throwing around the idea of trying to install a standard AK retainer with kvar HGs) Right now I have a modified stock HG with an ultimak on my 5.45x39, and a tapco galil HG on my 7.62x39. But I like the feel and overall design of the stock HG I just don't want it to melt off....

Helps a ton just as long as the heat has a good path out the top. I used similar materials on a infusion HG and it never even gets warm now.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks with the Tapco Infusion forearm, how does that hold up and does it vent the heat OK?

The Tapco Intrafuse handguards are pretty well-made and absolutely solid, (as some Tapco products are; e.g. Tapco G2 FCG, Tapco SAW grip, etc). They have a steel heat-shield on the lower handguard, just as the K-Var poly handguards do.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'd be interested in hearing exactly what sequence of events led to the handguard melting. I suspect the scenario is an unlikely one.

I like the stock handguard fine. I left it on my wife's rifle because it is light, and comfortable. She is not likely to need to fire over 50 rounds in rapid succession, so the heat is not a problem.

Don't forget that if the handguard heats up too much, you can switch to using the magazine as a forward grip. This is not an illegitimate tactic for an AK; in fact, it is presented in the Soviet AKM manual as one of two standard ways of running the gun.

Don't forget that if the handguard heats up too much, you can switch to using the magazine as a forward grip. This is not an illegitimate tactic for an AK; in fact, it is presented in the Soviet AKM manual as one of two standard ways of running the gun.

That's the way I prefer to fire my rifle, regardless of how hot the handguards, (barrel and gas tube), are. I find the front of the mag provides a natural and comfortable grip, and using the rifle this way makes quickly changing targets while keeping a good sight picture very easy.

I had Devin mod my standard HG (venting, reshaping, rail, Duracoat) and don't regret it. I also got rid of that dumbass sheet steel cover on the gas tube and repainted it with black engine enamel (brand name escapes me right now). If that gets a little toasty, there's always the mag. :D

• 2 months later...

Myself, I went with the MI quad rail for saigas. Lots of rails to hang stuff on, solid metal so vents/cools nicely, and leaves 'just enough' of the gas block and barrel visible for a AK look. It's just right for me. Pix are up in the pic section of the 7.62 gallery, mine is on pages 36 and 37, I believe...

I wear gloves whenever I use mine anyway as it gets very hot.

Personally I like the stock handguard a lot. I railed two of them with vertical grips for 2 of my builds.

Do you have problems with the retaining screw walking out after lots of firing?

I didnt care for either the tapco or the stock foregrip the stock foregrip heated to bad so I bought the tapco and it solved the heating problem but didn't feel right so I bought a dinzag barell reatainer from a friend and a ak gas tube and some kvar ak grips from another and now I like how it feels and it works for me but if I had to choose between the tapco and normal tapco wins in my opinion

I wear gloves whenever I use mine anyway as it gets very hot.

Personally I like the stock handguard a lot. I railed two of them with vertical grips for 2 of my builds.

Do you have problems with the retaining screw walking out after lots of firing?

The retaining screw would wiggle loose after a couple hundred rounds, but I put some loc-tite and no more problems with that.