Unable to adjust sight!

I'm not able to adjust my front sight. I bought one of those AK sight adjusters and I've tried clamping it down as hard as possible but no joy. I've even completely unscrewed the pusher part, held it up to the sight 'pin' (or whatever it's called) and beat it with a hammer. Of course, made sure the opposite end was free and clear. Zilch. A liberal dosing of WD-40 had no effect either.

Am I being a total newb and overlooking something or is this not right?

So far, I have not been impressed with the "legendary" Izhmash quality. First the hand guard looks like it was put on crooked and then a hatchet job was done on it to make it look straight. It doesn't. The gas piston always catches when you manualy operate the bolt and you have to force it closed. And now this. I'm bummed.

I'm not able to adjust my front sight. I bought one of those AK sight adjusters and I've tried clamping it down as hard as possible but no joy. I've even completely unscrewed the pusher part, held it up to the sight 'pin' (or whatever it's called) and beat it with a hammer. Of course, made sure the opposite end was free and clear. Zilch. A liberal dosing of WD-40 had no effect either.

Am I being a total newb and overlooking something or is this not right?

So far, I have not been impressed with the "legendary" Izhmash quality. First the hand guard looks like it was put on crooked and then a hatchet job was done on it to make it look straight. It doesn't. The gas piston always catches when you manualy operate the bolt and you have to force it closed. And now this. I'm bummed.

Is this a new rifle? Is it converted or in it's imported configuration?

The sticking gas piston prob sounds to me like the gas tube is not locked all the way in place. Is the latch on the RSB all the way down or is it up around midway the RSB? (RSB = rear sight block BTW, It's that part just below the adjustable rear sight)

On the FSB, try some penetrating oil like liquid wrench for awhile then see if you can crack it loose. you need to make sure the plunger on the sight tool is lined up perfectly with the "barrel" of the front sight AND the hole on the opposite side is lined up too or it will be pushing against a solid face and won't go anywhere.

I'm not sure whats going on with your front sight but Cobra is right about the gas piston/gas tube. I had this problem with my .308 and had to start giving my gas tube a little rap to seat it down properly when reinstaling it. It was a tight fit but it loosened up a little with time. Even after I started doing this the piston would stick just a little bit. This to loosened up with use. As for the sight... I don't know. I do know that I am more pleased with my .308 than I have been with any other rifle. Be patient, learn the tricks, ask questions. You will not be dissapointed. Just my two cents...