Buckshot loads for S-12

I recently purchased some inexpensive buckshot and tried it in the S-12. The cases deformed rapidly after loading in the magazine and caused a malfunction on loading. Since I am already loading my own slugs, I started trying to figure out how to make non-deforming buckshot loads.

I think I have hit on something. I am using these wads over the powder AND over the shot. They are plastic and are pretty strong.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/...?number=3221200

I was able to load 9. 00 pellets in the hull and did a roll crimp. They have been stored in a magazine for a few days already. After a week, I will try to chamber them. I will post results.

I recently purchased some inexpensive buckshot and tried it in the S-12. The cases deformed rapidly after loading in the magazine and caused a malfunction on loading. Since I am already loading my own slugs, I started trying to figure out how to make non-deforming buckshot loads.

I think I have hit on something. I am using these wads over the powder AND over the shot. They are plastic and are pretty strong.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/...?number=3221200

I was able to load 9. 00 pellets in the hull and did a roll crimp. They have been stored in a magazine for a few days already. After a week, I will try to chamber them. I will post results.

so would those caps be used to reload something like the nobel sport rounds that dont have the reloadable ends? if so, i know someone who would be very happy with this...

This sounds like a reasonable solution to minimizing deforming of the hulls, but will it cause any increased pressure or affect accuracy?

Those certainly look sturdy and should help deforming plastic hulls, but I also questioned the use of two sealing wads. I have generally used a felt over the powder, but am certainly no expert at shotgun loading either. How many have you test fired? Did they seem stout for your powder amount?

Also, which commercial buck was deforming on you? I know it's not a hard thing to find, but just curious. I have had nothing but real good luck with the Nobel, but can't remember if i've left an 8 or 10rounder loaded a long time before the unload session.

I have stored my s12 contiuously unless im actually practicing with it, with 15 pellet winchester superX 15 pellet buckshot, and I have intentionally rotated the rounds once in a while, and they still feed fine.

having that extra beef on the end of the payload is definately a plus. if you want to load 9 pellet, I agree that a beefy shot card would be nessecary.

I considered testing a shell with a metal shot card over the payload, just for the USAS12 and SAIGA12 market....my suggestion is to try tin or lead for a shot card.

your solution looks like it will work, and should give you what? 12 pellets in a 3" hull???

you can try to increase pattern density with some inert buffering material mixed in with the shot payload, as well as a thicker wad. if you are only using one of those plastic wads you pictured there, I cant see how it wouldnt destabilise in the barrel. using a couple of them should help, as will buffering material.

Plastic buffering is a great idea, and/or a Malaysian Load.

Which is using smaller shot to fill in the spaces between the buck shot. The load weight will go up of course, but the British used the load in Malaysia on the theroy that the smaller shot helped fill in the pattern. It would of course also help create solid round more resistant to deformation.

Would it solve the round deformation problem of the S12 with APG mags? I have no idea.

I believe that I have read that the Russian Silver Bear Steel case rounds do not function well in the S12, which is a shame.