.223 or 5.45???

I know both of them should perform the same but 5.54 are much cheaper ammo to get compare to .223. should I get AK-74 or saiga 223? I already had s-308 and s 7.62 and really want one classic AK look rifle. any suggestions??

Thanks.

:unsure:

I know both of them should perform the same but 5.54 are much cheaper ammo to get compare to .223. should I get AK-74 or saiga 223? I already had s-308 and s 7.62 and really want one classic AK look rifle. any suggestions??

Thanks.

:unsure:

Two important considerations, in my ignorant opinion:

1) Price/availability of ammo - you seem to be aware of this already; and

2) The firearm - there are no Saigas available in 5.45, to the best of my knowledge. I've built a couple of AKMs from parts kits, and (to put it simply) I've been much more impressed with the functionality of Saiga conversions (because the receiver, barrel, trunnions, bolt, and bolt carrier are all matched up at the factory) than I have been with parts kits built on non-mil-spec US-made 'compliance' receivers.

Don't get me wrong: some AK parts kit builds are trouble free (as was my very first one ;>). Others you won't ever want to deal with (ask me how I know ;>). If you decide to purchase from a skilled gunsmith (there are several who post here) rather than build it yourself, it's probably not an issue. If you want to 'roll your own,' however, I definitely recommend a .223 Saiga conversion over a 5.45 parts kit build. And (FWIW) I've built multiple FALs, AKMs, ARs, and even one Saiga conversion - and in my opinion, the .223 Saiga conversion was absolutely the best use of my time and money. Period.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, etc...