Well up in my neck of the world very little happened. I live just outside Jacksonville in North Florida. I do landscaping for work while going to school and although we did get some decent winds there was little major damage. I noticed a few gas station signs didnt make it, tons of trees and tree limbs. Its been raining more than usual in Florida (in my area) and the gound was already wet (made it hard to do some some houses for landscaping) thus there were a lot of trees some that snapped in half, and others that pulled the roots out of the ground with em. The power went out everywere in my area some like I were lucky because it was only out 8 hrs. Others however went days, 3-4 days and some up to 10 days to get power back. I know a lot of food stores had to throw their meat and other foods away, as well as lots of local people. I think the winds and stuff might have been good because now a lot of weak trees and branches are gone. And thank goodness I dont think anyone in my area was killed.

I hope things get better and back to normal for those who were south and west of me.

All of the hurricanes missed us so far, but Frances crossed the state and gave us some wind and rain. Nothing major though. But the season's not over and there is three in the Atlantic right now. Jeez.

When Charley hit Charlotte County, a few of us were sent there for the relief effort. They assigned us to guard a generator that was powering a Sprint relay building that kept the 911 system working (people were stealing generators left and right). We had to guard it 24 hours a day and I was the day shift. I just hung out by my car while the night guys slept in the building. Every once in a while I slung my Saiga 12 and walked out by the road just to let people see me. I figured that if I presented a hard target, word would get around that our generator was heavily guarded and no one would get any ideas about stealing it. The area was majorly damaged and I have a bunch of pictures, but too many to post here.

yeah I was surprised at the looting. Nothing here that I know of, but I've heard several cases elsewhere. The day after Frances there was a guy who robbed a local gas station I use to go to all the time. The police showed up in time to chase him to our local BIG bridge, the Buckman bridge. He then hopped out and jumped over the bridge with the money. I have not seen if they found his body, tracked the car, or anything else, but it happened.

Every once in a while we get stroms over here too (NW oregon). winds will get to 100+mph. mostly the trees fall, and get shook up, alot of rain! but, rain and high winds are kinda a way of life. Especially for the people that live on the coast. In fact I don't plan on seein' the sun, exept little patches, for the next six months!

Good to hear! In the news, they make it out to be the biggest disaster ever! and I'm not deminishing it in any way, but sounds to me like it's something floridians just kinda deal with it.

I've been to florida many times, talk about a contrast of oceans! I swam in the ocean over hear for the first time in twenty years, this last summer, 55 deg. is THE warmest it gets! I'll pass for another twenty!

ps. what's weird is that the Pacific N.W. had the dryest summer we've had in a long time! mostly WE go to florida, for the weather!

Good to hear! In the news, they make it out to be the biggest disaster ever!

Well, where I live was missed by the storms, but the places they actually hit were devastated. Like I said, I went to Punta Gorda and it was nothing like I've ever seen. The pictures I took just don't do it justice. The pictures are just a window into what I seen. When you are actually there, you can turn around 360 degrees and see that everything around you has been distroyed.

We just got word from the state EOC that another request for law enforcement is coming our way so I may get shipped out to the panhandle soon. I'll be able to see what Ivan did there.

The aspect of looting really frys me. I can rember as a young kid that looters were shot and killed when caught in the act. This was by law enforcement and national guard when called to service during a disaster. Now in the time of "there's good in everyone", the only shooting of looters is done by TV cameras and in some cases almost considered to be an OK act. ie, deprived people getting what is due to them. No wonder why things are getting out of hand.