saiga 12 enough for a bear

so you need a rifled barrel, is whats ideal.

Not with these Sauvestre's.They are designed to perform out of a smooth bore barrel just as well as a rifled barrel.These thing clock almost 1800fps out of a smooth 18" barrel.

Just sucks that they are hard to come by.

BTW,they went through almost 38 inches of ballistic gelatin and the wound cavity was HUGE.I will see if I can find the picture....

Not with these Sauvestre's.They are designed to perform out of a smooth bore barrel just as well as a rifled barrel.These thing clock almost 1800fps out of a smooth 18" barrel.

BTW,they went through almost 38 inches of ballistic gelatin and the wound cavity was HUGE.I will see if I can find the picture....

post-5762-1181613002.jpgpost-5762-1181613074.jpgpost-5762-1181613036.jpg

post-5762-1181613002.jpgpost-5762-1181613074.jpgpost-5762-1181613036.jpg

holy shit this is what i need a mini rocket

I don't have any experience with bear. I do know a guy who is a fishing guide in Alaska during the summer. I asked him once if he carried a .44 magnum for bear protection and he laughed. He carries a twelve guage. We never have gone into what ammo type he prefers. Also, I remember seeing something about guys that spend time in polar bear country on the discovery chanel or something. They all had nickel plated marine shotguns for bear protection. Something tells me that these guys knew what they were doing.

i use a 45/70 marlin 1895 loaded with hornady leverevolutions but we cant use semis for hunting here, other than bird and we have to plug em to 3, i have a 300 wby mag too but this is alot more evil

What good timing... this story appeared today in our local paper. This bear was trapped about a 100 miles from my house:

Big Bear Trapped

Tragically, there is this story as well...

Black Bear Mauls 11yr old

I've never used a shotgun on a bear I'm kind of fond of big bore rifles for that kind of stuff, so I aked some bear hunting nuts about it. Sounds like at 50 meters or less, the 12 guage does just as good job on black bears as an .375 H&H provided you are using slugs like the Breneke that have a harder lead rather than the softer type. Black bears are a smaller breed.

They got off topic debating the issue. I'll ask again next time I get the chance about grizzly, and brown bears. My speculation is that one shot will not drop a bear in it's tracks, but if you pumped a few slugs in one it at short range, it would tear it a new butt hole.

you may wanna try it on a koala bear first... them work your way up

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Crikey mate! Leave me kowalas alone!!!!

(What Steve Irwin might have said had he not been barbed through the heart by that stingray...also if he read this board)

I'd say he deserved what he got if it had been a croc. that ate him, thats what you get messing with those animals. The stingray seems to be a freak accident though, if he had left the barb in he may have survived.

i think they are venomous as well... but sure as shit he had no regrets as he died

Seen this posted at thefiringline.com

I thought it was very relevant to the question if 12 gauge is enough for bear.

Quote:

Capt Charlie

Staff-

Here's some food for thought, folks. Back in the '70's, I was a back country ranger with the USNPS. I worked with another ranger that transfered in from Yellowstone, and he, not being one to exaggerate, told us of an "interesting" experience with grizz.

In the early 70's (1972, I think?), a young girl was dragged out of her sleeping bag by a grizzly and partially eaten. The incident made nationwide news. The ranger, Jim King, was with a 5 man team assigned to hunt down the bear and kill it. Jim brought up the rear with an 870 loaded with slugs.

As he told it, grizzly have a nasty habit of circling and coming up on you from behind. (My own grizzly experience is limited to a couple of sightings at more than a hundred yards.) They can be very quiet and very fast (clocked at 45 mph for short distances!!).

Several days out, Jim told me that he got that "someone's watching me" feeling, and turned around just as the bear started his charge from 25-30 yards. He racked and fired, with the first round appearing to be a direct hit, center chest. The bear, probably more from shock, rocked back on its haunches for a second and charged again. Jim racked four more rapid fire into the bear before it literally fell at his feet. Start to finish in seconds.

A necropsy was done on the bear to ensure that they got the right one (it was, human hair was found in the gut), but it also showed that Jim's first shot had been right through the heart (I know, I have no idea how they could tell it was the first shot), and the bear continued on 20-25 yards with literally no heart!

After hearing that story, I'm thinking a hellfire missile from an A-10 Warthog, minimum! . Oh, and Jim did relate one other thing to me. He said "You know all those stories about guys needing skivvy changes? Trust me, they're true!"

20-25 yards with a destroyed heart.

Busting open a shoulder joint on the way to the heart might be a good idea to slow the bear down.

A 3 legged bear won't run so fast those last 20-25 yards.

Edited by dog

I would probably empty a whole 20rd drum in about 1.5 seconds if a grizzly was rushing me. I'd like to think 10+ rounds of 12ga buck or slugs would get the job done. If not your SOL because the only thing bigger you can get is a 10ga which dosent come in a magazine fed. I would buy one if they made a 10ga saiga.

So way back on page one...someone said about black bears not getting that big. Depends on where ya are hunting them because 700lbs bears get taken every year in the middle of nowhere Pa.

That being said, 8" tromix shorty, MD20, loaded with slugs

• 2 months later...
i have a saiga 7.62x39 but i kinda want the saiga 12 cause i feel my 7.62 ammo is not powerfull enough, is the saiga 12 enough to stop a bear with one shot thank you

Both calibers will kill a bear with the correct shot.The only way you "stop" a bear,or any animal by that matter,is by either hitting the spine or the brain.

Africans kill elephants regularly with 7.62x39 but they don't "stop" them.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy... go out with a trained hunter (ME) and five or six TRAINED hounds......Afganistan or Western Irag will be a cake walk, or comparable.... If not, contact Christopher (Vet Rep) at 872-0820 and I will screen you for job preferences and apply for any local job contacts....