AGP 10 round magazine fears

Hey guys,

In the next few weeks I'm going to be taking possession of an S12 and I'm a little leery on buying any 10 round AGP mags for it from reading some of the forum posts here.

Does anyone have any links (I tried the forum search feature, no luck) or info on the modifications that AGP mags need to work properly? I've got a dremel etc, and have done my own conversion on a .223 saiga so I'm reaching a level of near handiness with tools. Is this something that can be fixed by grinding and patience or does it require more serious work?

Lemme know, thanks as usual!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

In the next few weeks I'm going to be taking possession of an S12 and I'm a little leery on buying any 10 round AGP mags for it from reading some of the forum posts here.

Does anyone have any links (I tried the forum search feature, no luck) or info on the modifications that AGP mags need to work properly? I've got a dremel etc, and have done my own conversion on a .223 saiga so I'm reaching a level of near handiness with tools. Is this something that can be fixed by grinding and patience or does it require more serious work?

did you kook in the tech section?

Hey guys,

here is a good thread

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16941

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=mag+tuning

Edited by mccumber1916

I got mine and didn't do anything but take a long wooden spoon pushed the follower down to the bottom and up and down and up and down. i did it probably about for a half an hour each while i was watching tv. I had no trouble with them with 3 inch shells right out of the box. Then I found out that I wasnt pulling the but of my gun tight enough to make the light loads function. when i shot from the hip my gun jammed every time but after I leaned into it with it tight it worked great and hurt like a bitch. now I got a strap on shoulder pad chest harness thing coming from cabellas.

Neither I nor Tony has has had any bad ones on our personal weapons, so I can't help you as far as mods go.

I would guess a little graphite, and load to 9 rounds if you're having trouble.

I have 5 and have not had any bad ones. I think that there have been a few bad ones and the one bad one out of 100 gets all the remarks on the forum. Don't worry too much about these magazines. They are good. The only problems I have had is one needed a small amount of filing so it would lock in. I had an old one that started to eat itself from the inside due to the spring rubbing the inside of the mag body. It reached a certain point and stopped deteriorating. Even so it fed fine.

+1 madmilo and Bob. It's rediculous how a few people can come on here crying about their "problem mags" and even offer magic fixes to these great mags that "all feed terribly" bla bla bla. The problems of a few strike "fear" in the hearts of many :rolleyes: As with any new product the AGP ten rdrs are improving as more are made. Nuff said.

I had to file the first one I got but the last three I got I had no problem. I did put my boy to work loading and unloading them repeatedly to loosen them up.

I was sent two of them that ftf constantly. Keep meaning to sit down and mess with them but haven't found the time yet.

Got 3 from first patch, after changing tin lips to metal. (Came off-Flying shells all over) No problems. 2 from Tromix no malfunctions so far. Fired through Tromix and Cobra conversions. :super: Used Federal trap/target loads and Wolf 00buck. :smoke:

Hey guys,

I have yet to get posted in the "appropriate for sale" section, but, I can make your AGPs function as well or better than your factory mags. I have been too busy to get the post up. It requires a re-mfg of the follower and some body work.Until I post in the "appropriate" place, that's all I'll say here and now. After I get the post up, just PM me.

Bvamp: I'll call in the fee and get "legal tomorrow." I promise.

When I received my first three, they all seemed to jam, even if I only put 5 rounds in them. So I loaded them up and let them sit for a couple of weeks and they've been flawless fully loaded ever since with no modifications. I've had to do this with my 410 ten rounders as well and it has "fixed" them both, just needed a little break in.

Hey guys,

I have yet to get posted in the "appropriate for sale" section, but, I can make your AGPs function as well or better than your factory mags. I have been too busy to get the post up. It requires a re-mfg of the follower and some body work.Until I post in the "appropriate" place, that's all I'll say here and now. After I get the post up, just PM me.

Guess the "check is in the mail" because tomorrow came and went and I still don't see you on the Contributor Board.

Ive got 2 of the newer AGP mags. They have feeding problems so I dissasembled and used some graphite to lube up. The follower doesnt hang up anymore.

Only one dry cycles decent but you have to hold it tight into the magwell. I put a dab of hot glue on both, to keep them tightly sitting in the magwell, and will take them to the range today.

I hope all of my mags work, i'll find out when I get home. I'll be po'd if they dont, probably throw them downrange and use um as targets.

ETA I have no patients for shit that dosent work as intended.

Edited by mike123456
Hey guys,

FEAR NOT buy the mags!

my mags ran almost flawlessly today.

only had 2 hiccups.

cycling some cheap 3" steel shot that had been hand cycled a few times and sitting in mags for a week, and Remington Law Enforcement 00Buck.

With the Remington every round it would not push the round up enough and the breech would snag and crush the brass. I also had the gas cylinder set on 1 so this being a low recoil round maybe it wasnt cocking back fully since these were the last of about 250 rounds for the day.

Overall Im happy with my 10 rd mags and once I run some more rounds through will be very satisfied.

Edited by killasoundz
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had some major problems with my AGP mags trying to cycle shells. I sanded some areas off the top of the inside of the mag near the feed lips, and that helped them a little bit function with the 2 3/4" shells. However, I am still having trouble with the 3" shells. I'm not sure WHAT I should do to fix it? File more off the mags, send them back off to AGP to fix, or what? Putting those spring steel feedlips really messed up the reliability of those mags! I'm surprised AGP hasn't made any mods to fix the problem by now!

Hey guys,

Guess the "check is in the mail" because tomorrow came and went and I still don't see you on the Contributor Board.

June 14, 2007 was the last post which said, "Bvamp: I'll call in the fee and get "legal tomorrow." I promise."

Today is June 27, 2007. I guess it all depends on what your definition of tomorrow is. If I paid fifty bucks to have a mag re-worked I would hope that the time schedule would be different than the schedule for getting "legal". Just a thought.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had some major problems with my AGP mags trying to cycle shells. I sanded some areas off the top of the inside of the mag near the feed lips, and that helped them a little bit function with the 2 3/4" shells. However, I am still having trouble with the 3" shells. I'm not sure WHAT I should do to fix it? File more off the mags, send them back off to AGP to fix, or what? Putting those spring steel feedlips really messed up the reliability of those mags! I'm surprised AGP hasn't made any mods to fix the problem by now!

Get your 2 3/4" shells to feed 100 percent first. You said you were not even there yet. sanding just the top of the mag did not get my particular 5 AGP mags to cycle all 2 3/4" shells freely. I broke them in two, and used sand paper on the inside of the mag bodies to remove material all along the length of the mag. I took small amounts off at a time, put a couple screws in just to hold it together, cycled them by hand, and took more off as needed. I got to a point where I had only 6 types of different shells that would all pop up quickly and hand feed well in my s-12. I then put some dry-graphite powder the mags, closed all the screws up, and tested them with live fire with success!

if you can't hand strip a round off without a delay in the next round popping up, you have more sand work to do. take a caliper and measure the largest diameter shell you want to run. test and sand with that. if you get those to feed, all else is sloppy cake.

Get your 2 3/4" shells to feed 100 percent first. You said you were not even there yet. sanding just the top of the mag did not get my particular 5 AGP mags to cycle all 2 3/4" shells freely. I broke them in two, and used sand paper on the inside of the mag bodies to remove material all along the length of the mag. I took small amounts off at a time, put a couple screws in just to hold it together, cycled them by hand, and took more off as needed. I got to a point where I had only 6 types of different shells that would all pop up quickly and hand feed well in my s-12. I then put some dry-graphite powder the mags, closed all the screws up, and tested them with live fire with success!

if you can't hand strip a round off without a delay in the next round popping up, you have more sand work to do. take a caliper and measure the largest diameter shell you want to run. test and sand with that. if you get those to feed, all else is sloppy cake. The delay in the 2nd shell popping up may not be due to just the top of the mag, it may be shell #7 that is holding the spring up from pushing that 2nd round up. This is why everyone focuses on the top sanding of the inside mag bodies. Sand lightly, the sides of the mag follower and round all corners of edges. Smooth out the front and rear of the mag follower. It is only then grasshopper, that you will have the truly smooth hand fed shell popup. Then, drink some rancid green tea, sit back in your lazy boy, and hold your fully loaded Saiga in your own living room, and wonder if your next move at the range will be the true test...............................................

My mag needed to be opened up and the upper 1/3 of it needed to be sanded down, it was just too narrow and the shells were binding and feeding sluggishly.

Hand sanding took way too long so I busted out my 1" belt sander and blasted enough plastic off to get things working in about 10 minutes.

My mag functions flawlessly now.

Another "works for me" post here.

I have 5 of them, and all but 1 work great with no modification. One has a slightly sticky follower that I'll get around to sanding one of these days. In the meantime, the other 4 get used.

I note that 2 of my 5 sat for a good month or so fully loaded with heavy shells, and I got two in trade that were well broken in, but not modified so far as I can tell. So I think there's some merit to the notion that a break-in is sometimes helpful for these mags. Though going by the anecdotal evidence, it's not always needed.

i bought 6 of them, and 5 didnt work. i ruined over 50 rounds hand cycling because they wouldnt feed ANY rounds... it wasnt a problem with just the first round, it would feed too low on every round. 2 wouldnt even feed at all, seemed like the body was too thick. i had 1 that worked flawlessly, and its the 1 i kept. the rest got sold. would never buy another one again. i shouldnt have to tune something that should work properly from the factory.