Well the topic title explains it all, I've got 30-60 days to figure out what my next purchase is. I'm a 1911 guy, so I like slim grips and heavy guns. Nothing against glocks, I just don't care for them. Any suggestions? I like the fit of a compact Baby Eagle, but I'm open to suggestions. Something SA/DA, around 12 rd mags in .40, safety is optional. Opinions?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the topic title explains it all, I've got 30-60 days to figure out what my next purchase is. I'm a 1911 guy, so I like slim grips and heavy guns. Nothing against glocks, I just don't care for them. Any suggestions? I like the fit of a compact Baby Eagle, but I'm open to suggestions. Something SA/DA, around 12 rd mags in .40, safety is optional. Opinions?

Look at the new Sig Sauer 226 in .40 or the 229 if you like the more compact model. The grips are not as slim as the 1911 but they are not big either. I prefer the 226. They are great shooters right out of the box. There are several different styles and finishes now so I'm sure they have one that will fit you.

For several years I've carried a Stainless HK Usp compact .45 ...It is definitely reliable, but is not all that compact. That being said, I now carry the Kel-tec pf-9 daily. The trigger is outstanding compared to other Kel-tec's I own, and at 15 yards, I was amazed at the accuracy, Plus it is very slim and light. My suggestion though if you like the 1911 style and heavier guns, is the CZ-75. They are very well built, rugged, reliable, and accurate. It's a tried and true design.

For several years I've carried a Stainless HK Usp compact .45 ...It is definitely reliable, but is not all that compact. That being said, I now carry the Kel-tec pf-9 daily. The trigger is outstanding compared to other Kel-tec's I own, and at 15 yards, I was amazed at the accuracy, Plus it is very slim and light. My suggestion though if you like the 1911 style and heavier guns, is the CZ-75. They are very well built, rugged, reliable, and accurate. It's a tried and true design.

I can't argue the quality of the CZ pistol. I shot one recently for the first time in .45. Before I shot it I never really thought much of them. I thought they were too heavy for carry, I didn't like the way it felt in my hand due to the shape of the back of the grip, and I didn't like the slide fitting inside the frame instead of over the frame (this is just backwards). Well I shot it, and now all of the things I did not like about it are what seemed to make it a nice weapon. It is very enjoyable to shoot and I could not believe the accuracy I was getting. I still prefer the Sig because of the lighter weight (alloy frame) and the endless choice of holsters.

Shaneman there are a ton of nice quality handguns out there. If you ask ten different people's opinions you will probably get at least eight different answers. Find one that fits you and go with it. Don't go cheap here. There is also a whole lot of junk out there. You are planning on using this as a daily carry gun not just a weekend plinker. If you ever need it you want to know that it will function properly and accurately.

I love the Kimber Ultra CDP II. It is powerful, compact, comfortable, accurate, and all you could want in a concealed handgun. I added the Crimson Trace to aid my "old eyes". You will also want a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and belt for comfort and security. I wear it with a 511 Tactical shirt untucked for summer concealment and it is so comfortable that I even wear it around the house. Home invasions and such make that a good idea in my mind. Good luck in your search.

** NEVERMIND ** I read your post closer and it clearly says "SA/DA, around 12 rd mags in .40", this tain't it but I'll stick with it. :)

Edited by 1911
I love the Kimber Ultra CDP II. It is powerful, compact, comfortable, accurate, and all you could want in a concealed handgun.

MY MAN, 1911 !!!!

I went with the Kimber Ultra CDP TEN II........ Same great pistol, just with a double-stack 13+1 round capacity !!! 24 big ounces !! 'Course, with a S.O.B. holster, I do sometimes even carry my Kimber BP TEN II (full size 1911, 13+1........but still manageable with the proper holster even just under a t-shirt...........) Hard to beat a 1911 .45 !!!

i've been carrying a kimber eclipse pro II. it's pretty but that's not why i chose it; it's all steel, 4" barrel, and has an 8 round magazine (.45). the crimsontrace grips on it are nice as well, i'm a big proponent of laser sights for practical defense/tactical purposes (you never know what kind of strange angle you'll have to shoot from) so i would never carry something that wouldn't take a set of CTs. the only other gun with similar features i could find when i was looking (not including $3000 wilsons, etc) was a Sig 1911 (Revolution) which i seriously considered (and still might get one).

anyway, since you're looking at a .40, which i've been curious about as well, i've had my eye on a beretta px4 storm. 14 round .40, lightweight, SA/DA with a safety decocker, and an interesting rotating lug barrel instead of the usual tip up. not too expensive either. but i'd really have to see how it fits my hand before i'd even consider it, and there's no CTs for it (yet). the 1911 single stack design is just too great and fits my hand perfect.

Edited by S12.308NSC

Thanks for the replies guys, I should also mention, I often wear shorts, a t shirt and flip flops (about 80% of the time that I would be carrying) and I haven't really found a good way to carry a full size (and be able to get in and out of a car with it on). I hadn't considered the beretta storm, I may have to check them out (ugly as sin!). +1 on the CZ, I think the baby eagle is based on it. I like the low profile slide on it, keep jump down and it points naturally. I haven't handled a compact CZ, I may have to check it out (I thought they only came in 9mm).

My wife's got a Bersa, if I can get it running a little better, that's not a bad idea. Trouble is I just don't like the idea of throwing anything smaller than a 9mm. Checked out an H&K P2000 in .357 sig. Never heard of them before, but it seemed nice. Anyone know anything about them? Also checked out a baby eagle (poly version). I really like that thing too, but I could see the sights snagging on EVERYTHING!

Thanks for the replies guys, I should also mention, I often wear shorts, a t shirt and flip flops (about 80% of the time that I would be carrying) and I haven't really found a good way to carry a full size (and be able to get in and out of a car with it on). I hadn't considered the beretta storm, I may have to check them out (ugly as sin!). +1 on the CZ, I think the baby eagle is based on it. I like the low profile slide on it, keep jump down and it points naturally. I haven't handled a compact CZ, I may have to check it out (I thought they only came in 9mm).

I found a holster at a gun show and almost didn't buy it because of the name "Thunderwear" but it works great with shorts. I use it to carry my Glock 35 (5" barrel) when I'm wearing gym shorts and a t shirt. It conceals very well and you dont feel the weight of the pistol like you do with a regular inside the pants or paddle holster. Since it does not connect to your waiste band it does not pull on your shorts. I know the name is stupid and at first glance the holster looks silly but it is easy to carry a larger pistol and spare magazine.

Kel-Tec P3AT.

Currently same.

Kel-Tec P3AT, single-purpose designed gun (C/C). Usually in a "sticky-outside" pocket holster, with the attached stainless belt clip in SOB when riding motorbikes. Frangible ammo.

If I were recommending one that fit your requirements, I was pleasantly surprised by the Taurus Millenium Pro .45. Huge amount of very reliable firepower in a remarkably compact package. Accurate, comfortable, and very important point (to me) CHEAP!. I appreciate the Kimber-level firearms as much as the next guy, but I would not want to subject one to the beating, dirt, and possible loss that is a part of a concealed-carry existance.

One thing I discovered about a carry gun is the weight gets to be cumbersome in summer attire in a large-bore pistol. I'm a die-hard .45 ACP guy, but I decided that I would rather have the P3AT in my pocket than the too-heavy big-bore pistol sitting at home when I needed it. Kind of a compromise that I had to accept.

Congrat's on the CHL!

My goal this year is to get the sons and daughter-in-laws certified. Wife got hers for a Valentines present (I know, I'm a hopeless romantic...)

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

+1 on the PT-145 Guido. I carry the P3AT daily, but if I was determined to carry a .45, the PT-145 would be one of my top choices. I have one of the older Millenium (Pre-Pro) models, and it is an amazingly comfortable shooter to be that small. And 10 +1 rounds of .45 in that package is about as good as it gets. I trust it enough that it rides in the glove box every day. :super:

I also have one of the CZ-75 PO1 compacts in the OD green color. I used some mod instructions from the CZ forum to install the Hogue wrap around grip and it is a sweet shooter as well. 14 +1 rounds of 9mm. A friend has the exact same model and uses it in IDPA. He's deadly with it! I was taping the bullet holes and he was consistently COM and tightly grouped even at longer distances.

Still, it all boils down to what you will carry and have on your person all the time. The P3AT is comfortable enough so that you won't leave it at home like some of the heavier .45's. I tried the SmartCarry, sent it back. Not for me. Right front pocket has turned out to be most comfortable and doable with my work clothes. YMMV. :blues:

Like a slim grip but want 12rds of 40 huh?? How about a Para Tac-Forty but you'd likely have to dress accordingly...

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=108

So there Carry-12 model in 45 or one of the Hawg models might be better...

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=43

If you like CZ and Baby Eagles but want a smaller version check out the new Armalite AR-24k.

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/pistols.htm

I carry the HK USP Compact 45 or fullsize in 45, depending on how I'm dressed, where I'm going, etc, so I would suggest looking at the...

USP compact in 40 (12+1) or the new P2000 which is similar but with a light trigger, no safety, standard rail, backstrap panels. and ambi slide release.

http://www.hk-usa.com/usp_compact_general.html

or the Sig 229 (12+1)

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalo...mp;productid=63

I don't know zip about them except that the Secret Service carries the .357 Sig. Getting all the latest toys can be a fun thing but they aren't necessarily a proven commodity.

It is not a bad round.

Of course, it is what I was issued to carry, otherwise I would still be carrying my S&W 4566!

Smith 3913 in a Milt Sparks VM-2.

Compact choice. Does it say "Lady Smith" on the side?

Edit:

Nevermind, I see they make a 3913TSW now. I loved that pistol when it first came out but it was only available as a LadySmith. Glad to see they made a "Tactical" version for the guys.

Edited by 1911

There are a bunch of different versions of the 3913. The Lady Smith has a bit different frame on it, but Smith makes the exact same gun without the "Lady Smith" logo it. I have a standard 3913, but replaced the black grips with the "Dove Gray" Lady Smith grips to keep it a bit more stealth under a white T-shirt.

It holds 9 rounds of 124gr Federal +P+ Hydra Shoks.

Tony