I like CZs a lot and they make a number of guns that fit your bill. www.czusa.com

The Eagle is a copy of a CZ copy but is regarded to be one of the best so I wouldn't steer you away from it.

Like everyone says, try a bunch of stuff (rent/borrow, etc.). I was sure I would like Sigs and Berettas and their reliability is no joke but I HATED them when I shot them (spongy SA triggers and barrel axis too high for me).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CZ PCR or P-01.

I usually carry the PCR which is the one without the rail.

Nice. Do they take the full size CZ mags? I've been thinking about getting the SAO but DA/SA might give more options. How is the SA pull?

They do not take the full size mags. The standard compact mag carries 10 rounds. I also carry a PCR. The SA trigger is fine, but not in the same league as a 1911 trigger. They can be a little gritty, but usually improve with use.

Hope this helps.

CZ PCR or P-01.

Nice. Do they take the full size CZ mags? I've been thinking about getting the SAO but DA/SA might give more options. How is the SA pull?

They do not take the full size mags. The standard compact mag carries 10 rounds. I also carry a PCR. The SA trigger is fine, but not in the same league as a 1911 trigger. They can be a little gritty, but usually improve with use.

Hope this helps.

There's you answer.

• 2 weeks later...
CZ PCR or P-01.

Hope this helps.

There's you answer.

Not to be an ass but you are both wrong.

First, the compact CZ guns in 9mm will take all size 9mm mags. Factory 14's, 16's, 18's from the SPO1 and 26 rounders from the FA CZ machine pistol. The compact mags however will not work in the large fram autos.

Second, is the trigger can be as good if not better than most 1911 autos, but the reason very few people are aware of this is the fact there are very few gunsmiths in the US that can do a "trigger job" on a CZ based design. Even the SA/DA can be tuned in the right hands.

I will post pics this weekend of a CZ SPO1 "OPEN" Comp gun for USPSA/IPSC competitions. For my two cents he should buy the CZ PO1 and shoot 147 Grain Golden Saber ammo for self defense and still go an "plink" at the range with cheapo Wal Mart ammo. If you get an actual CZ send it to Mike Eagleshield at CZ-USA and he will help you out tremendously.

....the trigger can be as good if not better than most 1911 autos, but the reason very few people are aware of this is the fact there are very few gunsmiths in the US that can do a "trigger job" on a CZ....

Perhaps he was referring to the factory trigger being gritty? FWIW, 1911 triggers aren't all awesome either. The GI models and the Taurus might be 1911s, but their triggers are nothing compared to a Kimber or Wilson. You get what you pay for I guess is my point. For me the biggest problem is the slide not being as tall as other autos. HKs, Glocks, XDs, 1911s, Berettas, all have slides that you can really grip. I'd be afraid my sweaty hands would make it tough for my fingertips to move the small CZ slide. Not too wild about the weight either, but I guess that's why they make a compact.

"If you get an actual CZ send it to Mike Eagleshield"

Way cool name!

Guido2 in Houston

I met a Native American soldier who was going into Fort Knox's Basic Training, PVT. Knows-His-Gun. Don't remember his first name or what tribe he was from. Poor kid, you KNOW he got ripped on by the Drill Sergeants.

....the trigger can be as good if not better than most 1911 autos, but the reason very few people are aware of this is the fact there are very few gunsmiths in the US that can do a "trigger job" on a CZ....

Perhaps he was referring to the factory trigger being gritty? FWIW, 1911 triggers aren't all awesome either. The GI models and the Taurus might be 1911s, but their triggers are nothing compared to a Kimber or Wilson. You get what you pay for I guess is my point. For me the biggest problem is the slide not being as tall as other autos. HKs, Glocks, XDs, 1911s, Berettas, all have slides that you can really grip. I'd be afraid my sweaty hands would make it tough for my fingertips to move the small CZ slide. Not too wild about the weight either, but I guess that's why they make a compact.

"If you get an actual CZ send it to Mike Eagleshield"

Way cool name!

Guido2 in Houston

I met a Native American soldier who was going into Fort Knox's Basic Training, PVT. Knows-His-Gun. Don't remember his first name or what tribe he was from. Poor kid, you KNOW he got ripped on by the Drill Sergeants.

I understand what you mean about the slide being hard to manipulate. They made the slide like that to lessen felt recoil. You get less momentum from the slide moving rearward on a CZ based gun when fired. Also, FWIW, the tactical CZ guns can be manipulated with one hand by holding the gun in your hand, of course finger off trigger, and place the rear sight against your waist(belt or belt loop) and then keep pushing on the grip. If for some reason you do not carry your CZ ready then you can try to hold off an attacker with one hand and with your free hand draw your gun and charge it fairly easily. I am sure this can be done with other pistols but is is very effective on CZ. Also you can get a bayonet for the CZ SPO1 now. How many times I wish I had a bayonet on my pistol in a firefight. LOL.

I understand what you mean about the slide being hard to manipulate. They made the slide like that to lessen felt recoil. You get less momentum from the slide moving rearward on a CZ based gun when fired. Also, FWIW, the tactical CZ guns can be manipulated with one hand by holding the gun in your hand, of course finger off trigger, and place the rear sight against your waist(belt or belt loop) and then keep pushing on the grip. If for some reason you do not carry your CZ ready then you can try to hold off an attacker with one hand and with your free hand draw your gun and charge it fairly easily. I am sure this can be done with other pistols but is is very effective on CZ. Also you can get a bayonet for the CZ SPO1 now. How many times I wish I had a bayonet on my pistol in a firefight. LOL.

The low recoil would probably explain why they make competition models. I'm sure the all metal frame helps keep the gun steady too. I've seen after market market rear sights recently that allow Glocks to be racked in the same one handed manner. I know the CZ75 is a popular law enforcement/military gun in Europe but Jesus, a bayonet :blink:

Glock 19. I didn't use to be a big fan of Glocks, but it is the perfect size for CCW. Plus without an exposed hammer there is little that can get caught when having to access it quickly.

I went to the LGS and made the girl show me every compact 9mm (I've convinced myself 9mm is the way to go, don't ask) and it's a toss up between the compact CZ, and the Para-Ord Carry 9. I had never dry fired the LDA before, and I was quite impressed. Now, do I spend $600 or $900.............

my primary weapon is the S&W4013

.40S&W caliber

short 3 or 3.5" bbl, can't remember

21 or 23 oz. unloaded, can't remember

slim single stack

hammerless means no snags

alloy frame keeps weight down while ameliorating recoil

ambi-safety for you odd lefties

I would say that aside from capacity (8rd mags) this gun is the pinnacle of .40S&W CCW. Cycles and fires with virtually no lubrication, crap in the barrel, all sorts of ammo, and fits in my armpit just great. I'm 5'7" sub 155lbs. so it's hard to hide anything on me, and work conditions eliminate carrying anywhere around my waist, but noone seems to notice unless I have my jacket open.

4013 is on the right

DCP_1284_1.jpg

go with a glock.

simpilest to use under stress. THEY DON'T RUST from sweat. after market enhancements are as plentiful as the stars. the newer slim framed models are perfect in my hand especially the g36 slim 45acp. actually fits better than the g26 9mm!

ya'll need to watch tommy lee jones in U.S. MARSHALS. "get rid of that shiney sizzy gun and get you a glock" lol! thats great!

• 4 weeks later...
Shane, get serious and get a Glock. I know it's a pain to learn how to shoot them DAO if you are a 1911 guy, I went through that myself.

I'll take my Colt Gold Cup over a Glock. I don't like the grip and the trigger sucks on Glocks. Plus they are ugly as sin.. I do own two Glocks, a 17 and 21.

Edited by Banshee

What is it about the Glock that you don't like? I was a die hard 1911 fan which I planned to use for off duty and I bought an HK USP which I planned to carry for duty. What I found out was after extensive shooting under variable conditions the 1911 did malfunction and the HK was the biggest overpriced POS that I had ever purchased. After shooting a fellow officers glock for several days under similar conditions, I was hooked. Yes they are ugly, and the trigger bothers some folks but these can be fixed. An inexpensive trigger job and a hard chrome from Robar greatly improves the appearance and trigger if that is your issue. The selling point for me is that it is the AK-47 of handguns. It will shoot and shoot and shoot all the time everytime under any conditions. As far as I'm concerned that is the most important feature for a CHL carry or duty gun. Take a second look and visit the Robar site, they can make it to your specifications.

What is it about the Glock that you don't like? I was a die hard 1911 fan which I planned to use for off duty and I bought an HK USP which I planned to carry for duty. What I found out was after extensive shooting under variable conditions the 1911 did malfunction and the HK was the biggest overpriced POS that I had ever purchased. After shooting a fellow officers glock for several days under similar conditions, I was hooked. Yes they are ugly, and the trigger bothers some folks but these can be fixed. An inexpensive trigger job and a hard chrome from Robar greatly improves the appearance and trigger if that is your issue. The selling point for me is that it is the AK-47 of handguns. It will shoot and shoot and shoot all the time everytime under any conditions. As far as I'm concerned that is the most important feature for a CHL carry or duty gun. Take a second look and visit the Robar site, they can make it to your specifications.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are fine guns. I am not putting down your choice in pistols. Some people like Fords, some like Chevrolets and others like something entirely different. Like I said, I own two of them and shoot them fairly often. I don't dislike them, they are just not one of my favorites.

I don't like the plastic, nor the way the grip fits in my hand. The 1911 fits my hands better. I don't like the long trigger pull. A Robar finish won't help. It is not the finish I don't like.The slide looks like a piece of key stock with rounded corners and sights on it. I prefer a manual safety that will not let it fire, even if by some weird quirk of fate you do get your bugger hook on the trigger.

Edited by Banshee

I've owned a couple of Glocks and had zero problems with them.

They also shot well.

I personally don't care for the grip angle on the Glock.

And since I first got into law enforcement when cocked-and-locked was the norm, I went back to carrying my S&W 4566 off duty.

I bought it after shooting a friends.

It is the closest I have found (well, for me at least) to my old Gov't model.

The plastic I can't help you with but Robar does alot more than finishes. They slim down the grips, build beaver tails, trigger guard, stipling, just about anything and can do a trigger job that will shoot like a 1911. Even if you don't decide on a glock, check out the site. They are amazing at what can be done and do custom work on 1911, hi powers, etc.