emr454 2of my sons came home from the gunshow last saturday with those. Yugo SKS's excellent /unused condition $160 each with logbook, but cleaning kit/sling gone. Very nice-but I think with removable mag it needs U.S. parts. However I don't know count. Try sks man's site or other AK type sights for info.

G O B

Yes it would still need the US parts, and because you have a foreign mag you'd need to find replacements which generally don't exist.

How to tell if parts are imported or not?

1. All original parts are foreign

2. All black plastic stocks and detachable mags are US made.

3. Most US made pistons and op rods are marked. I have a couple rare exceptions from Tapco's earlier runs. Chances are if it has long term storage marks it's foreign.

I thought assault weapons were defined as a semiauto with a detachable mag first, then by the parts. If there isnt a detachable mag, and its preban, it shuold be exempt from definitions of assault weapon/NYS b.s.

or so I thought anyway......

Well I took the detach. mag off and put the original fixed mag back in it. I took the bayonet off to so if I'm correct it is legal now. The stock is an ATI ultralight stock that wasn't supposed to fold but I modified it so it does fold. But anyways...like it is now...folding stock, ORIGINAL fixed magazine, no bayonet or grenade launcher, is it legal? Thanks.

I can buy them right around the corner here in dutchess county with everything on it from the shop. you should be completely legal, and if anybody gives you grief, you can rest assured its not going to be a long arguement.

Ok thats good. I couldnt get the grenade launcher off with a wrench or anything so i cut it off. Hopefully that didnt make it illegal because now you cant put the GL back on. I could always fix the stock so it doesn't fold again (like it was originally). And if that doesn't make the happy I'l just put the original stock back on so that it is in original condition, minus the Bayonet abd GL.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I put the original stock, original mag back on so now it's in the same exact condition as it was when I bought it except for the GL and bayonet. It still has the bayo mounts but no bayonet. Nobody should give me any grief because I took the "evil" features off of it and put it back into original configuration. I sanded and painted the original stock so now it looks pretty sweet. I like it better now than I did when it had the folding stock on it.

Well, I put the original stock, original mag back on so now it's in the same exact condition as it was when I bought it except for the GL and bayonet. It still has the bayo mounts but no bayonet. Nobody should give me any grief because I took the "evil" features off of it and put it back into original configuration. I sanded and painted the original stock so now it looks pretty sweet. I like it better now than I did when it had the folding stock on it.

That was me. BTW sanding the stock was a SOB because of the cosmoline grease in it.

You're still worried about "evil" features? That went with the AWB. You have to have US parts to put a PG on it since the SKS was banned from importation in the 89 ban. So, it is just like our saiga shotguns, you have to do the US parts conversion to add a pistol grip since it can't be legally imported with the PG.

Now, if your SKS came into the US before 89, you are cool.

The reason I say all this is because I was talking about it last night with my friend who got a Yugo SKS and an SKS-D recently.

Edited by KySoldier

The new TAPCO catalouge came today, and there is an excellent article on SKS parts count/legality. The jist of it is if NOT converted before 11/29/90 it needs 6 USA parts,with muzzle attachment,7. www.tapco.com

G O B

(hope this helps)

I was still worried abouth the "evil" features because I live in NY and I guess there are still laws that mirror the AWB. I don't have to worry about the parts count now because I put the original wooden stock and original 10-rd fixed mag back in it so now it's back to factory configuration. The only reason I had to be worried was because I cut off the GL and took the bayonet off. Neither of them can be put back on so now it's a permanent modification. I was hoping that I didn't violate any laws by doing this but oh well. Thanks for all your info guys.

Eric

why on earth would it be illegal to take the gl off of your gun? of course its ok....thats like saying it came with a detachable mag so i put a original 10 round fixed in it, is this legal........i dont mean to sound smart asses i was just making a comparison and its all i could think of......you took away a muzzle attatchmet....its ok

Also I think that by removing the GL it removes its C&R status which would make it illegal to import because it has 2 of the "evil features". I know the AWB expired but unfortunately I live in NY so who knows about these laws now...