Handguard replacement

I finally bit the bullet and had my .223 done by Tromix. It is spectacular, but proves to me that I am too hooked on ARs to ever fully appreciate an AK style rifle. Regardless, I have been wondering what options are available for handguard replacement that would allow me to put a light out front and possible a scope in the scout position. I know you can't just use regular AK handguards without an adaptor. But beyond that, I don't even know what is available. So, I thought I would come to the experts and ask what you would do if you wanted rails out front.

There are many options available. You could just bolt some rails on there as is or you can buy a new HG like the Tapco Galil style one that comes with rails or follow what others have done and put a set of AK HGs on with rails. Ultimak also has a gas tube replacement with a rail made into it. Lots of options...

I finally bit the bullet and had my .223 done by Tromix. It is spectacular, but proves to me that I am too hooked on ARs to ever fully appreciate an AK style rifle. Regardless, I have been wondering what options are available for handguard replacement that would allow me to put a light out front and possible a scope in the scout position. I know you can't just use regular AK handguards without an adaptor. But beyond that, I don't even know what is available. So, I thought I would come to the experts and ask what you would do if you wanted rails out front.

For a scout scope option, you can choose one of these:

UltiMAK AK-47 Optics Mount

SCOUT SCOPE MOUNTS

IMO, placing a sight out in the 'scout scope' position makes the AK more front heavy then it already is.

As far as handguard replacement goes, if you have enough US made parts on your AK, you can replace the handguard with this:

Tri-Rail Lower Handguard for AK47/74

If you need a US handguard to be compliant, try this:

AK Galil Style Handguard with Tactical Rails

There are also aluminum handguard sets (both free floating and not), but they make the AK a pig to handle and are not cheap, except the POS Chinese Laogui Labor sets for the Airsoft wannabe crowd.

Were it me, I would keep the AK simple, like a KISS AR. A railed handguard for a light and a BP-02 AK-to-Weaver Mount Adapter (Low) for a red dot or scope (sorry no co-witness) and that would be about it.

Learn the love AK's simplicity and resist the temptation to bling-bling it out.

AK ≠ AR

Edited by RedFalconBill

Thanks for the links. that shows some options at least. Like I said, I am totally new to the AK platform, and don't even know where to look for these things.

I'm not settled on optics yet. I'm thinking more and more about using a Kobra red dot though. So, that would eliminate optics problems, it would mount on the side rail. If that's the case a light will be all I hang out front. If I want a super duper mall ninja rifle, I'll build an AR to fill that role. The AK is appealing to me because of its simplicity, and putting something in every available location would ruin that.

I never talked about rails with Tony when I dropped the rifle off at Tromix. Honestly, it never entered my mind until I got it home and started thinking about optics for the rifle. I also should have had him spray the metal OD like I intend to do at some point, but I didn't think about that either.

• 1 month later...

For a scout scope option, you can choose one of these:

UltiMAK AK-47 Optics Mount

SCOUT SCOPE MOUNTS

IMO, placing a sight out in the 'scout scope' position makes the AK more front heavy then it already is.

As far as handguard replacement goes, if you have enough US made parts on your AK, you can replace the handguard with this:

Tri-Rail Lower Handguard for AK47/74

If you need a US handguard to be compliant, try this:

AK Galil Style Handguard with Tactical Rails

There are also aluminum handguard sets (both free floating and not), but they make the AK a pig to handle and are not cheap, except the POS Chinese Laogui Labor sets for the Airsoft wannabe crowd.

Were it me, I would keep the AK simple, like a KISS AR. A railed handguard for a light and a BP-02 AK-to-Weaver Mount Adapter (Low) for a red dot or scope (sorry no co-witness) and that would be about it.

Learn the love AK's simplicity and resist the temptation to bling-bling it out.

AK ≠ AR

What handguard retainer do you need for the tri rail handguard?