Drum mag pics and mag dump videos!

Please ask questions in here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16417

The pics are of a stronger sls prototype. It was originally grey but I painted it black. I can't film a video in the shortbarrel because I have sold it and it wouldn't be right to fire while the transfer goes through, sorry.

All videos posted are FULL mag dumps. I tried to splice all the videos together but it didn't work right so I had to do them seperatly.

Video 1 and 2 are the newer drum. And 3,4, & 5 are of the white one you saw before. The one that was giving me problems ( prototype strength ). If you only watch a couple watch 3 first and then 1. I'll be back in a little bit to give an update post and answer post questions and emails. ENJOY!!!

Video link: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=hellyeahdrum

post-2662-1182535612_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1182535660_thumb.jpg

post-2662-1182535718_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1182535755_thumb.jpg

post-2662-1183774368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Davidson

Looking good!

Noticed that the drums made from white are loose enough that when the full drum is being shot, it rocks around a little. Not bad now, but could lead to future problems if something gets weak. Rocks less and less as the drum empties, hardly noticable when there are only 5 or so shells.

But the second proto type seems much better fit. Didn't see any rocking at all.

Wondering about the use of that tree. I figure you use it to take the recoil of the shot gun because:

You cut trees for a living and therefor, you see them as your enemy :) or

Your shoulder can only take so much abuse? or

Shotgun isn't reliable unless it has a firm resistance? or ????

Also, Im curious about the shells you use? Light bird loads, or heavy 3", or ???

Looking forward. Any revision of the expected date of release?

Trees are the enemy...LOL! Good one K

Judging from the mark on the bark, Mike would have more than just a tenderized shoulder by now without the help he's getting from that tree.

That said though, I too would like to see a full mag dump from the shoulder and also one using a different gun...like mine perhaps. :angel:

Looking good!

Noticed that the drums made from white are loose enough that when the full drum is being shot, it rocks around a little. Not bad now, but could lead to future problems if something gets weak. Rocks less and less as the drum empties, hardly noticable when there are only 5 or so shells.

But the second proto type seems much better fit. Didn't see any rocking at all.

Wondering about the use of that tree. I figure you use it to take the recoil of the shot gun because:

You cut trees for a living and therefor, you see them as your enemy :) or

Your shoulder can only take so much abuse? or

Shotgun isn't reliable unless it has a firm resistance? or ????

Also, Im curious about the shells you use? Light bird loads, or heavy 3", or ???

Looking forward. Any revision of the expected date of release?

Good questions. The white drum (fdm prototype process, abs material). When I first got the white mag it had almost no play (rocking). I have fired a few thousand rounds out of it and it is on the verge of destroyed. I have repaired it countless times. Prototype material is only a small fraction of the strength of a production material of the same type. It has been good in the sense of seeing stress points and such. Also the fdm proto is much more flexible than the sls prototype (glass filled nylon).

Using the tree. The main reason I used the tree was to help stabilize the more flexible white proto. It let me fire it without the drum taking as much stress in already repaired places ( front mag catch, tower base). I figured it would also help prolong the life of the sls proto as well. I have fired the sls from the shoulder and hip though. I will try to film soon. Improving reliability is more on the drum proto part rather than the gun. So it doesn't come apart. By the tree holding the gun in place it would speed the action up (very slightly, milliseconds). If it was fired from a giving rest (shoulder or hip) , the bolt is loosing momentum from the recoil rearward. What this means is from the tree the mag doesn't have as much time to get the next round in position before the bolt passes back over to pick the round up. But as you can see still feeds fine under a faster bolt. I am 99% certain this drum will work full auto.

In all the videos now up I am using 100rd value packs from Winchester, Federal, and Remington. I figured that these would be the most used so have given them the most rigorous testing.

I have fired damn near anything you can think of out of the 3 inch model and all with great result other than the 2 3/4 value packs. The Remington value packs have a slightly longer length than the other 2 and seemed to do just as well as out of a 5, 8, or 10rder. But the other 2 didn't.

In the new proto I haven't fired slugs out of it yet. But have fired some buckshot like speer lawman (damn I love those rounds) , fiocchi, Winchester... I haven't sent much through it though as I've ran out of different kinds. I really burnt it up in the white one. I do plan to get some to test though. One thing I do hate is Wolf buckshot won't fit in the mag now which sucks because I know a lot of people like it. And the Russian steel case won't fit now either. It pisses me off to even have to type it.

As far as proto strength and wear.... I just have to say it again. The production material is multiply times stronger and more durable. For example, regular production strength nylon without glass fiber is over twice as strong as glass filled nylon proto material. The weakest form of production glass filled nylon I think was 4 times stronger than proto glass filed nylon and so on. What I'm saying is the production drum is going to be very, very strong and should be good for 10's of thousands of rounds. :super:

This would be best placed in the information thread. Could a mod move it for me? (and erase this last line?)

Mike in video #5 were you alternating with different ammo? I was just noticing the alternating muzzle flashes.

In video 5 they are all Remington value pack. In video 3 they are alternating. Goes from remington to winchester to federal.

Mike,

Such a beautiful product you have there! :super: You are about to become very rich. :dollar: I can feel my wallet getting lighter already. I look forward to seeing ordering information when it is available.

nyclu3

Mike,

Such a beautiful product you have there! :super: You are about to become very rich. :dollar: I can feel my wallet getting lighter already. I look forward to seeing ordering information when it is available.

nyclu3

I can't weight for this drum to come out I am save money as I speak

I gotta say Mike, looks like a winner to me. I still don't think I'll be getting one though. I just have no need for it.

I will say though that I like yours a lot better than the other one and I think it is better looking and better built.

If I were going to get one, it would be yours for sure, all the way. B)

Before anyone jumps me or asks why, I don't want one, I have a bad back and the added weight of all those shells would make shooting uncomfortable for me. I just haven't got any use for it since I can't practically use it with since my injury. In fact, I don't even shoot my S12 very much as the recoil alone makes for a few days of recovery in bed. Those are the breaks and the sad reality of my life. Oh well. I shoot my .410 a lot more often as the recoil is a lot easier on me. I guess I am just a pussy. :blush:

I gotta say Mike, looks like a winner to me. I still don't think I'll be getting one though. I just have no need for it.

I will say though that I like yours a lot better than the other one and I think it is better looking and better built.

Before anyone jumps me or asks why, I don't want one, I have a bad back and the added weight of all those shells would make shooting uncomfortable for me. I just haven't got any use for it since I can't practically use it with since my injury. In fact, I don't even shoot my S12 very much as the recoil alone makes for a few days of recovery in bed. Those are the breaks and the sad reality of my life. Oh well. I shoot my .410 a lot more often as the recoil is a lot easier on me. I guess I am just a pussy. :blush:

I wouldn't say so at all. All of us who hang around long enough, find that there are limitations to what we can do. Lugging a HK-91 set up for sniper work is no longer my cup of tea but I am sure going to hang on to her. I have two kids who may/may not be able to have the things that I have. Hanging on insures that they have an option regardless of what may come to Washington. Just another thought.

You should try a different way of firing it. Maybe up against a tree or a post like in my videos. Maybe a strong foregrip infront of a hand rail or table. Something to take the recoil for you.

I want one. I'll spend an arm and a leg to get it, but I want one. Will it cost more than my shotgun did (Bought it for $200.00 when CDNN had a Memorial Day sale a couple of years ago)?

I had to pass on the ten-round magazine because I was tapped out when my name came up. But I'll start saving for the drum right now.

Lynn K. Circle

lynnkcircle@netscape.net

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Im a tree hugger and I want to talk to somebody about all that bark worn off.........

Seriously, I wondered the same thing when I was watching the vids, and I assumed it was to help the gun cycle.

So, if this works on el cheapo rounds, it should only work better on buckshot and slugs, correct?

I have to admit, I like the solid outer cover, I had wondered on the other drum if dirt getting into the works could cause an issue.

Nice work.

Well Mike, maybe I might just have to try that next time I am out at the range. Who knows?

Like I said though. the .410 and I get a long just fine and I bast away with it all the time.

I will admit though, if you were to say break into my house or something foolish like that....well....

I can assure you, it will be a 12 gauge blast you hear just before you die. ;)