Brass denting cure.

for a few weeks now I have had duct tape wrapped around the end of the support bolt handle thing to keep the ejected brass from getting the infamous AK dent. It works OK, but looks like crap. Some of the brass still dents, some doesn't??

So tonight I finally put on a thick piece of fuel line and I will go see how it works tomorrow. The hose fit on real tight, but I sprayed some hair spray inside the hose anyways to help secure it.

post-4463-1182564353_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackDog

there is this stuff, that is liquid rubber in a bottle. it is meant for dipping screwdriver handles into for gripping. I bet you could paint it on in a couple coats on the dust cover edge, and dip the charging handle in it a few times to rubberise them.........

Id have to think you could do it, havent tried that application yet, myself.

Since I found the 50 grain bullets have some accuracy, I have some renewed interest in shooting my Saiga with reloads instead of the Brown Bear I was using.

I was feeding empty brass thru it last night and realized that it get smashed into the cover instead. What I can't understand is that sometimes the brass has a dent and sometimes it doesn't.

I was thinking I can mount a block of some sort on the outside of the reciver and screw it from the inside to secure it.

post-4463-1182599678_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackDog

Yeah, the valmet buffer does work. Unfortunately I sent it to blackjack and he was unable to create his own version. Perhaps we should contact annother vendor to see if they will be interested in producing one. The other problem with the .223 however is that besides the dent in the middle from the ejection cover, they also put a "ring" arround the primer pocket. I didn't notice it until recently, but the bolt face has a raised ring which I guess helps seal off the primer- it seems over kill. Mine has that ring on the bolt face and so the brass I've recovered all has like an extra crimp arround the primer. Somone filed that ring off of his bolt face... said it worked but I am reluctant to try it.

Out of the 30 rounds I shot off today, only 5 got the saiga dent into them????

3 of them got very small dents??

I am wondering if it was because they were mild .223 recipe reloads versus hot 5.56 rounds?

I don't know.

I ground the bolt face dimple down till it was flush with the outer portion of the face with a dremel tool and a small bit.

• 3 weeks later...
I posed this in another thread, how about using some of the plastic edge liner that is found on car/truck doors/fenders

like this: http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ima...r-edge-trim.jpg

or

http://www.care4car.com/productimages/1697...gh%20200pix.jpg

If the edge liner fits right without interfering with the bolt carrier it looks like it would be a good idea.

So you are saying you would shoot the reloading cartridge with a dent in it. Do you reload the same cartridge with multiple dents? I don't know about you but I would rather have no dents on my cartridge when it come to reloading. The brass for my .223, I reload them around 7-9 times before I throw them away. If you're ok with 7-9 dents on your brass when you reload, good luck on safety........

So you are saying you would shoot the reloading cartridge with a dent in it. Do you reload the same cartridge with multiple dents? I don't know about you but I would rather have no dents on my cartridge when it come to reloading. The brass for my .223, I reload them around 7-9 times before I throw them away. If you're ok with 7-9 dents on your brass when you reload, good luck on safety........

no, you will not have multiple dents. the firing blows out the dent. Have you ever heard of Fire forming cases? Almost all Ackley Improved cases are fire formed to shape the shoulders.

I am not saying that ALL damaged brass is usable, but most ejection dents will blow out to fit the chamber with no problems. You still have to inspect it, just as you always do.Will it shorten brass life? You may lose one or two reloading from it.

If theres a simple/cheap solution to the dents, its a least worth exploring. Not everyone knows the dents aren't a problem for reloading. Even if you don't reload yourself, somone at your range probably does- and might pass up reusuable brass not knowing.

I apologize for not posting any results of the trim, I've had family members from Canada visiting, 2 birthday parties and an Anniversary.. LOL.. on top of that I'm doing half day training at work all the while...

I will try the door trim test ASAP...

for a few weeks now I have had duct tape wrapped around the end of the support bolt handle thing to keep the ejected brass from getting the infamous AK dent. It works OK, but looks like crap. Some of the brass still dents, some doesn't??

So tonight I finally put on a thick piece of fuel line and I will go see how it works tomorrow. The hose fit on real tight, but I sprayed some hair spray inside the hose anyways to help secure it.

Here is what I did and it works well, The bolt handle has a clear plastic open ended cap on it. You put it on like you used to have to put your handlebar grips on your bicycle when you were a kid, remember? Tight fit. I got this idea from ARSENAL, the couple arsenals i have all came with a plastic/rubber closed end cap on the bolt handle it looks good and feels good too. I also went to Lowes and got some lamp pads. These are 15-17mm thick black rigid foam adhesive pads that are 3x6 in. Cut a strip put it on the receiver cover and your done. It does not look bad at all and it comes on and off easily with no mess and one pad will work for about 50 guns. Cost? $3-5 bucks. Not a Valmet buffer but works, is disposable and cost is a fraction of the valmet buffer.

Here is what I did and it works well, The bolt handle has a clear plastic open ended cap on it. You put it on like you used to have to put your handlebar grips on your bicycle when you were a kid, remember? Tight fit. I got this idea from ARSENAL, the couple arsenals i have all came with a plastic/rubber closed end cap on the bolt handle it looks good and feels good too. I also went to Lowes and got some lamp pads. These are 15-17mm thick black rigid foam adhesive pads that are 3x6 in. Cut a strip put it on the receiver cover and your done. It does not look bad at all and it comes on and off easily with no mess and one pad will work for about 50 guns. Cost? $3-5 bucks. Not a Valmet buffer but works, is disposable and cost is a fraction of the valmet buffer.

Please, could you post a picture? I'm "descriptively challenged!"

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go, $2.00 + tax at Walmart... Seriously, my buddies and I shot 250 rounds through my Saiga at his farm, you should see the Helium tank we shot up.. LOL

The Brass has a slight rub mark, I can't get my camera to focus properly on Macro, but there is no dent at all.

Here are some photos of how to set it up, it did however ding a few case necks but not many...

We also used a LMS lowered AR15 too, you know just to see how the other guys do.. lol

post-4346-1185758736_thumb.jpg

post-4346-1185758745_thumb.jpg

Edited by MD_Willington
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...