USAS converted MAGZ

i spent weeks figuring out how to convert that mag and just when i thought it was already perfect after so many trial and check, i finally use it for competition. The magazine just wont empty its load without a jam. dammmm why i'm not contented with the saiga 8 rounds i got. there's so many problems that the converted mags may encounter... i think it's not a good idea to convert it....

my conversion project was equiped with lath and milling machines so my job for it is not that cheap and it was a 3 brain work..... did anybody here has the same experience?

The saiga spring is longer than the usas spring, but both have about 14 coils. It looks to me like an adaptation with problems. Either work on the mag or work on the gun, or both. Cutting away the top sides of the usas mag weakens it, especially where the follower guides run up the body. Blending the two may ruin both mags, especially the more rare usas mag. I think a cut & patch of existing 5rd mags seems like the best option. Just don't exceed 10 rd capacity, or you run afoul of the manufacturing law. Of course, you run afoul of some obscure law when you insert a 10rd or 8rd anyway, as I understand it.

I think as long as you dont break any laws like selling it to someone or murdering someone with it, no one realy cares. I'd realy not care to know how many obscure bits of code my current collection violates, of course all those bits of code violate the "infringe" part of the 2nd Amendment, so IMHO they're all wrong, not me.

Dont call too much attention to yourself and I think your OK. Me, I've got bad luck with screwing with magazines, 5+1 is fine for me for right now. If I end up selling the design to LEOs they can deal with obtaining the 8rnders on their own.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saiga follower is just a bent piece of thick sheetmetal and the springs are too weak.The saiga operates more quickly and positively than the USAS-12 does.I don't think the USAS magazine can push shells fast enough to be picked up by the bolt and feed reliably.You could try filling the bottom of the magazine with a wooden block and see if the added spring tension will push the rounds reliably that will tell the tale.

One question though,since you have to cut out so much of the front of the magazine what do you do about the sides of the metal follower being exposed and hanging up on the interior of the trunnion area?

Did you ever consider "doubling up" on the springs? There is a guy who makes 35 round FAL mags out of 2 20-rounders. He binds the springs from the two original mags together so that he has enough force to feed all the rounds out of the new 35-round mag.

Of course, I have no idea where you might obtain extra usas springs.