Why is my .308 bolt is not comming into battery easily anymore?

Okay I have a 16" .308 that is undergiong a conversion. After test firing the unconverted unit to make sure everything was cool with the rifle, I tore everything down and have since Installed a ACE internal reciever block and pistol grip. I am awaiting my RSA trigger group and will be sending my fsb off to dinzag for his bore out treatment for muzzle devise attachment. The problem is that I installed my bolt/carrier assembly and gas tube back onto the rifle and now the bolt doesn't want to ride all the way home. It gets kind of sticky in the last inch or two of travel. If I let it fly home It wants to stick there and requires a lot of force to open the action. I believe the hangup is in the gas tube like something is missaligned. I used to have to give my gas tube a little slap to seat it properly to prevent this from happening but this no longer works. Can anybody shed any light on this problem? I don't believe I have bent or tweeked anything. I only have Fifty rounds through the rifle. It is an older 2003 model that was unfired when I got it. It is as clean as a whistle. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thats the thing!!! There is no trigger group in the rifle at all right now! Thats what has me so confused. There isn't anything in the rifle for the bolt carrier to be hanging up on. I just installed the bolt and carier with the recoil spring and top cover mostly just to keep all the stuff together while the conversion is underway. But the rifle should "cycle" smoothly by hand like this. I just can't seem to figure this one out.

Sounds like the tube isn't all the way in. The lever must go all the way down. This (gas tube) can be a bitch the first few times, the thick rusky paint gumms it up and it is hard to get the tube far enough foward to get it to lock down propperly. I had to clean the part the tube goes into and the tube ends with a small wire brush.

If you have changed the gas tube, this could be the problem. There is a lug on the rear of the gas tube that locates into a slot at the front of the rear sight block. Because the .308 barrel is fatter then a 7.62 or .223 barrel this lug hits on the barrel before the gas tube is fully seated. This causes the gas tube to sit up slightly higher at the breach end and causes the gas piston to bind on the gas tube.

It's not always apparent that this is happening as often you can still rotate the gas tube locking lever to the locked position with the gas tube incorrecly seated. Unfortunately this raises the gas tube a bit higher and actually makes the problem worse.

Compare an original .308 gas tube with the new one and you will see the lug on the .308 is lower and slightly different in shape. The solution is to carefully reshape the lug on the new gas tube to match the original until the new tube seats fully and doesn't rise as you rotate the locking lever.

The other problem may come when you fit the new trigger. On the original trigger the profile of the lower edge, where it catches the hammer, is different to most, and holds the hammer lower as the bolt cycles. If you fit a "normal" profile trigger it will allow the hammer to sit up a little higher. As the bolt comes forward it will catch on the hammer, stopping it dead. My solution is to use a trigger that matches the original profile or you may be able to reshape the top of the hammer.

Hope this helps.