this is the letter I have sent to all the local networks, and some of the major news papers - I checked they are all guilty:

"I have watched the recent news reports that this station has aired concerning assault weapons in general. I have noticed that your reporters have used the term "automatic weapons" in describing assault weapons of any kind. This is highly inaccurate! It is a well known and enforced law that the people of this state are prohibited from using "automatic weapons". An automatic weapon is described almost exclusively, AROUND the world, as a weapon that fires continuously when pulling the trigger, one time. These weapons have been banned since the 1930's. Why then are your reporters using this phrase? People that support the second amendment are largely opposed to the use of these weapon as well as people in favor of gun control.

There are two facts that are misleadingly being omitted concerning this issue:

1. EVERY SEMI-AUTOMATIC assault type weapon that is (for now) legal in this country, are admitted into this country and produced in this country, on the basis that they can NOT be illegally converted into FULLY-AUTOMATIC weapons. The U.S. military's M-16 that is sold to civilians, the AR-15 (and derivatives), are specially made with metal to fill in the parts of the gun that can even make it fully-automatic. AK-47's that are imported are CAREFULLY inspected for components that could be used for this application. By the ATF, and the gun shop owners. THEY are SEMI-automatic. 1 pull of the trigger, 1 shot. This is the same result as almost EVERY hand gun which is allowable by law today, revolver or semi-automatic = 1 pull of the trigger, 1 shot. What's the difference? none.

2. The amount of crimes that actually do happen with assualt type weapons are completely dwarfed 1000 times by the crimes that happen with handguns (remember they have the same functionality, exactly). Check the amount I'll bet the ratio is even higher.

Please refer to these weapons as semi-automatic weapons. you are grossly misleading the public! The right to bare arms in this country is more important than playing word games.

thank you,

life long oregonian and observer of the law."

I used the name of the station or news paper where applicable.

I invite any of you to cut and paste some or all of this to do the same ifn' ya want'a!!!!!

If you go to nra.org they have a section called the six ways to make an impact or something. any way they will link you to ALL of your local media if you put in your zip.

thanx guys.

the next is puplic tv. i'll look into it this afternoon, over here our local public tv station is nestled right in between the major networks! we'll see, I'm pissed!

Edited by Siagalova