AK-103 clone is complete!

HUH?

I guess the main reason is because I'm mental! :devil:

And the second reason is that I wanted a real Russian AK-103 clone, not some bastardized-for-import sporter rifle...

Edited by micah360

Within the constraints of 922r and NFA rules, a Saiga AK103 clone is as close to an authentic 103 you can get in this country. The receivers are made in the same factory. Mine also has dimples, as does Micah's, and Cyrillic markings for the S/F positions sugesting that it may have been pulled from the military assembly line. The US trigger is superior to the stock sporter trigger. Other than a full auto position the clone appears identical to an authentic Russian one. Red Jacket did one, I did mine, and neither cost 'thousands' of dollars but perhaps a few hundred more than a stock rifle. One would think that is at least as good as a converted sporter that has inconsistent altered features, and more aesthetically pleasiing. But, to each his own. Folks can do whatever they wish with them.

• Like 1

micah, nice conversion just like all the others that I've seen of yours. Hey, I don't blame you one bit, most of the quality buider conversions are Saiga or VEPR's, and I do believe that both it probably handles better and the trigger pull is better than a stock Saiga.

Shannon will get this even if nobody else does-it's the difference between a Mustang Two, and a Mustang Cobra Two. Both Mustangs, yet very different creatures. Besides, it looks really nice.

... it's the difference between a Mustang Two, and a Mustang Cobra Two. Both Mustangs, yet very different creatures. Besides, it looks really nice.

Good comparison 6500, I was going to use a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Toyota Corrolla.

In addition to the better trigger, my Saiga can use any AK-47 magazine... not just the Surefire $40 jobbers.

Well said Mark and Doc. Dude wtf are you doing here knocking one of the nicest Saiga conversions to be displayed on these pages??? You obviously need much more educating :rolleyes:

That Saiga compared to your ....well nevermind, at least you like it....is more like a Shelby GT500 compared to a Pinto if you ask me.

Within the constraints of 922r and NFA rules....

Speaking of 922R, Old_ironsights is your gun compliant?? I'm having a hard time picking out 5 compliant parts. Muzzle device (maybe), piston (maybe), handguard, buttstock (maybe)....did you do something with one of the fire control group parts or do you have US parts in your magazines? Not that it matters to me...just raising the question so no one gets surprised some day.

For someone who claims to have "stock" rifle, you've certainly made some significant changes. Muzzle device, skeletonized stock, new handguard -- why shouldn't other people want to do the same thing? It would cost about $50 more than what you spent on your rifle to do a full conversion to an AK style. Actually, it would probably cost less because with a US pistol grip, stock and fire control group you don't need to replace the handguard.

Personally, I prefer the ergonomics of the AK over the sporter style. The fact that it looks better (to me) and it's more practical (easier to carry in a vehicle) with the folding stock is another plus.

Jim

Within the constraints of 922r and NFA rules....

Speaking of 922R, Old_ironsights is your gun compliant?? I'm having a hard time picking out 5 compliant parts. Muzzle device (nope), piston (maybe), handguard, buttstock (nope)....did you do something with one of the fire control group parts or do you have US parts in your magazines? Not that it matters to me...just raising the question so no one gets surprised some day.

For someone who claims to have "stock" rifle, you've certainly made some significant changes. Muzzle device, skeletonized stock (that is one of the STOCK versions available), new handguard -- why shouldn't other people want to do the same thing? It would cost about $50 more than what you spent on your rifle to do a full conversion to an AK style. Actually, it would probably cost less because with a US pistol grip, stock and fire control group you don't need to replace the handguard.

Personally, I prefer the ergonomics of the AK over the sporter style. The fact that it looks better (to me) and it's more practical (easier to carry in a vehicle) with the folding stock is another plus.

Jim

and yes. i agree with you 100% on your post navy

Edited by jailbait

To my stock Saiga I added a $10.00 muzzle brake to ameliorate recoil and a $22.00 (eBay) handguard to facilitate cooling of the barrel assembly. Hardly "significant changes". The mag in the picture was added only to show the similarity in weapons. $289.00 for the stock Saiga plus $32.00 is $321.00.

You wrote, " It would cost about $50 more than what you spent on your rifle to do a full conversion to an AK style."

Hmmm. Where can I buy an AK-103 "clone" for $371.00, Jim? For that sum, I just might be enticed into buying one.

2004_0101saiga762x390003.jpg

saiga762-0017.jpg

you may want to check for 922 compliance with that buttstock...

I don't believe that your stock is us made and it adds a pistol grip. (AKA assault configuration)

You may have saved a few bucks, but for your own protection, you may want to be sure you are compliant!

Nice gun BTW!

Micah, Man..if I ever get the chance to meet you face to face, I love to compare our Red*Jacket's

and go shootin'!

Yet ANOTHER nice new weapon!!!

To my stock Saiga I added a $10.00 muzzle brake to ameliorate recoil and a $22.00 (eBay) handguard to facilitate cooling of the barrel assembly. Hardly "significant changes". The mag in the picture was added only to show the similarity in weapons. $289.00 for the stock Saiga plus $32.00 is $321.00.

You wrote, " It would cost about $50 more than what you spent on your rifle to do a full conversion to an AK style."

Hmmm. Where can I buy an AK-103 "clone" for $371.00, Jim? For that sum, I just might be enticed into buying one.

While I disagree with Juggernaut on the buttstock making it an "assault weapon" (skeletonized/thumbhole stocks don't count), the addition of a muzzle device does, so 922R applies.

I didn't say you could do AK-103 cloning for $50 -- I said a full AK conversion. You talked about spending hundreds or thousands to make it something "it's not" -- I was just pointing out that it doesn't cost that much...and probably no more than what you've paid to make your Saiga something it wasn't when it came from the factory.

Different strokes...everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I think Micah has a sweet weapon. Would I want one? Probably not, but then again people will think I spent too much converting my Saiga. Personally I think skeletonized stocks are fugly, but if you want one - go for it.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy

...nicer to look at is only about a third of it. The more important two thirds are performance and balance (ergonomics) or ease of handling. I dare anyone to try holding one of those neutered, bastardized imported weapons by the wrist of the sporter stock, grip of the skeleton stock, or one of those rediculous stock / PG combination jobs, and hold a real AK or properly converted Saiga by the PG in the other hand. Hold them both out in straight out front of you for as long as you can and see which one drops first. My money's on the ugliest one. These rifles were never intended to be used in this configuration when they were originally designed.

And yes old ironsights, that is a totally non compliant "assembly" of an imported "assault weapon" you have there. It has nothing to do with price. It's not only bad for you to let the BATF see you posting pictures of it online, but it's bad for other noobs who come here, see it, decide they like it, and go make the same mistakes on. You could responsible for getting someone else in trouble. They might not actually care that much about 922R compliance unless it's an add on charge, but it's just not a good example to set. We try our best to steer people in the right direction here...

Micah...once again, AWESOME rifle bro! Geat job Will!

The rifle actually didn't cost me as much as you might guess. Will is a stand-up dude and takes care of his customers.

I'd rather have one of mine than two of those. It's quality... not quantity!

Edited by micah360
saiga762-0019.jpg

VERY nice indeed!!! Congrats The catch system looks like a work of art!

Not to high jack the thread too much...but I have often wondered about something on the stock catch on rifles like these. Besides making a pure copy of the 103, I can't imagine why folks (Outside of Red Jacket and Tromix) go to all the trouble to add this to our Saiga's (NO offense intended at all) when there are so many folder stocks with built in systems that retain it in the folded position. (IE ACE etc.) For the life of me, I can't imagine why someone doesn't have this stock available with that available. Hmmm...I wonder if I can get a K-var stock to work with the ACE internal block....just some rambling thoughts.

Again...beautiful rifle!

PS....So tell us more about the sling too. Type, where from, cost?

Edited by TOU
saiga762-0019.jpg

VERY nice indeed!!! Congrats The catch system looks like a work of art!

Not to high jack the thread too much...but I have often wondered about something on the stock catch on rifles like these. Besides making a pure copy of the 103, I can't imagine why folks (Outside of Red Jacket and Tromix) go to all the trouble to add this to our Saiga's (NO offense intended at all) when there are so many folder stocks with built in systems that retain it in the folded position. (IE ACE etc.) For the life of me, I can't imagine why someone doesn't have this stock available with that available. Hmmm...I wonder if I can get a K-var stock to work with the ACE internal block....just some rambling thoughts.

Again...beautiful rifle!

Thanks for the kind words :) and my answer to your question , If all you're after is a folding stock , then oh Hell yeah , it's to much to go through [it's also pretty easy to have it go horribly wrong] . If that's the case , Ace block& hinge and either Ace or Tromix stock . This set-up is for the "as close to real as I can get" collector . Like buying the MilSpec AR-15 to collect US military .

PS....So tell us more about the sling too. Type, where from, cost?

It's a Russian sling that I found on one of the other forums. I payed $25 shipped for it and thought that was an decent price. It has a white stamp of what looks like a stag with some other Russian markings on the underside. It seems to be older and is super good quality.

Nice gun and nice work done by red jacket, I guess some people allways have to talk bullshit, but hey

each its own.

I still say, congrat mica nice gun.

Edited by vjor