.308 win --> 7.62x54R

Anyone converted a Saiga .308 into a 54R? I only ask because I have a Mosin and i LOVE the round. Plus I have about 200 rds of steel-core Hungarian which shoots 1-1.5"MoA or better out of my Sako M39. . . . Although it does a number to the iron target holders at the range when I hit em.... "on accident"

The point is, I'd love a 54R saiga.... well really I'd love a Draganov but that's probably not going to happen. Besides, 54R is a WAY cooler round than .308win. :)

On a side note, will 7.62x54R Bullets (not rounds) fit in a .308 casing?

Edited by SaigaNoobie
Anyone converted a Saiga .308 into a 54R? I only ask because I have a Mosin and i LOVE the round. Plus I have about 200 rds of steel-core Hungarian which shoots 1-1.5"MoA or better out of my Sako M39. . . . Although it does a number to the iron target holders at the range when I hit em.... "on accident"

The point is, I'd love a 54R saiga.... well really I'd love a Draganov but that's probably not going to happen. Besides, 54R is a WAY cooler round than .308win. :)

On a side note, will 7.62x54R Bullets (not rounds) fit in a .308 casing?

The Russian 7.62x39mm uses .311" bullets. My reloading manual does not have any data on the 7.62x54R. To run in a Saiga you probably have two isues aginst you if the bullet diameter are the same (and I don't think that they are: (If I remember right) Over all length of the 7.62x54R round is longer than the .308 , and the width of the case (at the rim) would take up too much of the bolt face. The case length the round may be over came if you went to a Saiga 30-06 weapon, but you probably still have the bullet diameter issue and the bolt face.

If you have some micrometers available you could compare the two

.308 Winchester/7.62NATO

Case head .473"

Case OAL 2.015

-edited to add .308 demensions

oAL

Edited by Longhunter-CO

I understand cartridge lust, I still have affairs with the 300wby and 6.5 sweede now and then.

It's kind of like a comparison of a rimmed 30-06 to the 308. Both are excellent rounds, but the 308 is a shorter action and lower recoil. The 7.62x54 is more power and a longer action. Less of a bullet selection for the 54. Both are good on energy for the practical range of most guns. The 54 has that sort of distinguished appeal that the 06 does in it's long history. I have bolt guns in both 7.62x54 and 308 and the 54's kick a lot harder for not a heckuva lot more practical range. 54 surplus is still plentiful and cheap if you don't mind shooting corrosive ammo. I think the trend toward downsizing from 30-06 to 308 to 223 happened for good reasons. However IMO the 223 is maybe a bit too far on the small side for a SHTF gun, and in most states 223's are not legal for deer.

It's definately a tough decision between 54 and 308... The simple answer is I'd want both ;-)

The detailed answer is that I'd probably want the 308 due to bullet selection, lower recoil for the same practical energy, and mostly the fact that I have a tight grouping bolt gun in 308. To each his own however, both are good choices. In your case, having a fine shooter in 54 would definately tip things the other way for good reason. Maybe a budget romak would make you happy?

I don't think you could convert a saiga 308 to a 54 in an s308 without creating essentially a new gun. The action is longer and the bullet diameter of the 54 is larger. Then you'd have the mag issue. If you want that sort of pop then take a serious look at the saiga in 30-06 or one of the import 7.62x54 semi's like the romak or a chinese drag. Even a browning semi is a decent choice for a high power semi, but capacity constrained.

I'd never dream of actually doing the conversion when for probably the same money you could get a SSG-97 in 54R. But I'd just thought I'd ask for the fun of it. How about a 25-06 conversion for the Saiga-100??? Could you say "Verynice"? Plus I hear the best things about 25-06 from shooters. Big enough for Deer, small and accurate enough for "varmint" hunting.... of course that's in bolt guns.... but none the less... 25-06 Saiga? I'd call it the Sai-25-06-ga :)

Edited by SaigaNoobie

.308 and 7.62R are so simular ballistically that the compensator 'scopes for either are interchangable. Accuracy would go to the .308, mainly due to the availability of good ammo. The Finns have a reputation for superior accuracy-but that is just good gunsmithing. A solid bolt action in .308 would be as good or better. A .308 is a bettter semiauto or full auto round, due to the rimless case loading and extracting more reliably.

The rounds are so close that personal prefrence is more a factor than science in deciding..

I'd love to have my 16" .308 in 54R just because of the ammo cost. (15.6 cents/round) I've got an SSG-97. As fun as it is to shoot, I must admit a saiga handles the heat waaay better, and it's a lot more fun to shoot.

Are there non-drum hi-caps available in x54 already?? 10 round SSG mags for 40 bucks just don't impress me.