There was a guy at work last night. He is a new employee and a former policeman. He started telling me about how Kel-tec P3at's were constantly,

catastrophically failing, and they should only be shot a few times. Has anybody else heard of this?

Granted, the guy didn't seem too bright. To quote my foreman, "That guy is ate up with dumb-ass."

I've seen one bulge in the middle after firing and had to be sent back. Don't know that the little guns are dangerous and prone to failure...for all I know they guy could have shot +P though it. My buddy bought a new Kimber, part of the frame broke after only a few mags. I found a $2500 DSA FAL that wouldn't release the first mag we put in it...had to send it back, mag still attached.

Hello, jeffmack

I have never heard of a failure in a P3AT, but I've never really searched, either.

I own two of them, one of which my wife carries, the other I carry.

The only personal experience I can attest to is pushing a 250 round box of UMC .380 ammo through each of them in an afternoon at the range, just to "break 'em in", loosen 'em up, and ensure reliability.

I would have to say that both pistols held up better than I did, I developed a nasty blister on my right hand after 300-400 rounds.

One of the pistols initially would FTE about 1 in 20 rounds, that smoothed out and they both wound up very smmoth and reliable guns. The other one I don't believe ever hiccupped all afternoon.

From my limited experience, your acquaintance is indeed, "ate up with the dumb-ass", but he may be privy to info that I am not. I will say that these little guns are not likely taken out and shot just for the heck of it very much. They are not fun, recreational-type guns, but their niche market (concealed-carry) makes them very desireable for that purpose. Could be that if they were shot recreationally, there may be more reported failures. I just don't think it's a popular gun to use that way.

JMHO...

guido2 in Houston

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Do not should Magsafe Ammo in P3AT's.They will make the gun come apart but other than that,I've heard of no problems and I own a first generation P3AT that has shot ALOT of ammo.Check KTOG.org in bulletin section for more info about P3AT's. B)

As I understand it, Magsafe Ammo is +P! Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) is Not to be used with +P ammo

There are plenty of hard hitting types of non +P ammo, in fact Cor Bon now has DPX in .380

Cost is high, but when you see the depth of the hollowpoint in the DPX, you'll be a believer!

I also like to stagger my ammo, like a hardball round, hydra-shok round,dpx round, etc..

I have heard it's bad news to stagger ammo, but it's also bad news to be shooting at some-

body behind something the hollowpoints won't go thru!

When I got my first Gen Kel-Tec .380 first thing I did was put 200 rounds thru it, it's not the

only Kel-Tec I have done that with as the first Gen guns were prone to jamming until finally

fully broken in!

I think the translation would be:

"Use standard pressure loads for practice, shoot only enough +P to familiarize yourself with the round, and then use +P for carry round if you really need to."

• 2 months later...

I may have spoken to soon! My wife and I were shooting the other day, I had an older box of Remington Kleen-bore standard pressure .380. My wife shot and then yelled out in pain, the mag had expelled and hit her in the hand. I honestly thought she was just being wimpy and had hit the mag release as it was recoiling so I chambered another round and fired. It was the harshest recoil I'd ever felt and sent a "shockwave" through my hand and launched the magazine out the bottom of the gun. I've since ditched the ammo of course and inspected the gun thoroughly and can find no damage whatsoever. Apparently the gun did what it was supposed to and vented the excess pressure out the mag well. Just to be safe, I had the LGS inspect it and they don't see anything wrong with the gun either. As for the ammo, I'm not sure what happened unless the chemical properties of the old powder had changed over time, but I shoot all sorts of old and surplus ammo and have never had that happen.

As for the ammo, I'm not sure what happened unless the chemical properties of the old powder had changed over time, but I shoot all sorts of old and surplus ammo and have never had that happen.

I wouldn't think the powder would become stronger over time. Have you gone back to using the ammo you were before? When you say local gun shop do you mean competent gunsmith? I had a wolf 308 casing bulge (steal, wtf??) in the chamber of my fal, the extra pressure blew the primer off and vented out the bottom of the magazine, blowing the floor plate off. Kinda scary at first ;)