Tromix 12" SBS (pic)

• 5 months later...

Tony,

Just wanted to say the gun looks and feels great. If there is any reduction in recoil or noise, Ill be glad I got the 12" barrel. Maybe when the kids grow up, ill get a chance to try it out. Keep up the great work.

• 4 weeks later...

Just so you all know: I work with the guys over at www.fbmginc.com We have one of Tonys 8" monsters. We took it out to a shoot and ran it over my chrono. A 1 oz slug load that did 1400 out of an 870 was still doing 1074 out of that 8" shorty. So not as much velocity drop as you'd think.

We quit testing after my chrono took 2 direct hits from wads, or I'd have more data.

• 4 weeks later...
It was moved back 2".

Tony

Not sure if it's a company/weaponmaker thing.

But can You post at what length You've found You can cut without moving the gas system back?

Thanks. I've asked before, and all I got was Yeah....we could figure it out. Or yeah! Tromix can do anything! I like the spirit/confidence of your fans. But I've got a boring S-12K factory look I'm going for. And people keep posting replies with drastically altered gas systems.

As many SBS's You've done Tony. Figured I'd ask the man a straight up question, for a straight up answer without someone else answering.

Looking at the reality for a future SBS through You. If You won't answer. That's cool. I'm interested in what I have to work with.

Thanks in Advance.

I don't believe I have built any 12" guns since early 2005. These days about 90% are 8" and 10% 10".

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

12inchB.jpg

Honestly I think that gun looks much better than it would if the bbl was any shorter. A beefy gun like an S-12 needs to have some barrel hanging out there IMO. I just don't get the fascination people have with making the bbl as short as humanly possible til the damned brake is all you see peeking out of the HG.

Maybe it's just me...

I like balance.

My personal gun is a 12". I don't care for the blast that comes off those 8" tubes right in front of my face.

There is no definitive answer as to how short you can cut the barrel, since the power level of the shell makes such a huge difference as to whether the gun will cycle or not.

If you want to shoot bird shot and not have enormous gas ports, the gas block needs to be moved back 2" for a 12" gun and 3.75" for an 8" gun. With that gas port position, you can use the factory .073" size gas port holes.

However, if you don't mind running over-size gas port holes and only shoot magnum shells, you can cut the barrel back to 11" and leave your factory gas system as-is.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

My personal gun is a 12". I don't care for the blast that comes off those 8" tubes right in front of my face.

There is no definitive answer as to how short you can cut the barrel, since the power level of the shell makes such a huge difference as to whether the gun will cycle or not.

If you want to shoot bird shot and not have enormous gas ports, the gas block needs to be moved back 2" for a 12" gun and 3.75" for an 8" gun. With that gas port position, you can use the factory .073" size gas port holes.

However, if you don't mind running over-size gas port holes and only shoot magnum shells, you can cut the barrel back to 11" and leave your factory gas system as-is.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Appreciate the info Tony. I bet You have that damn gas system down by now....LOL

I remember the cut 22" barrels down to 18.5", and everyone shitting if they had one hiccup with some low shot!

We've come a long way around here...lol

post-3950-1201649565_thumb.jpg

Peek - a - BOOM !!!!

Granted, this is a 10" barrel with a stock handguard........ Balance is fine !! Just about the same length from the mag to the back of the stock as it is from the mag to the tip of the brake............

Different strokes.................... :haha:

Did u do the work on that 11 inch barrel and did u make the gas system any shorter?

post-3950-1201649565_thumb.jpg

Peek - a - BOOM !!!!

Granted, this is a 10" barrel with a stock handguard........ Balance is fine !! Just about the same length from the mag to the back of the stock as it is from the mag to the tip of the brake............

Different strokes.................... :haha:

Yes, the gas system on that gun was moved rearward about 3".

That particular gun is a bit of an oddball however. Since then, I have standardized the gas block positions to either 3.75" back on 8"- 10" guns, and 2" back on 11-14" guns.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I don't believe I have built any 12" guns since early 2005. These days about 90% are 8" and 10% 10".

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

12inchB.jpg

YOWSER! I have a 13" Ithaca M37 SBS that I conside to be about right. :blues:

An S-12 of about 10" to 12" would be about as short as I would want to go...

The muzzle blast seems VERY significant on anything much shorter than that!!!!

Tony - What's a 20 ga. SBS Saiga like? :wub:

post-1473-1201824614_thumb.jpg

post-1473-1201824625_thumb.jpg

Edited by macbeau
Did u do the work on that 11 inch barrel and did u make the gas system any shorter?

Shooter,

It's a TROMIX gun.........(see Tony's post, above)

Thanks for all info guys... i was also wondering about the 308's i saw the 8" shorty and was wondering if i wanted to shorten the barrel to say 10-12 inches will i have to shorten the gas system to do so or can i leave it stock lenght???

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you appreciate the info I will try it when my S12 arrives, and should say when my paperwork gets back for the SBS...........

Has anyone around made a s corp or corporation to get class III stuff so you don,t need the letter?

Also did anyone get a sbs saiga form red stick or jed jackett arm?

Live in New Orlean so to try to get a letter is a waste of time. :killer:

Has anyone around made a s corp or corporation to get class III stuff so you don,t need the letter?

Live in New Orlean so to try to get a letter is a waste of time

Getting a Class III is alot more involved then you think, your annual fee is I beleive last time I checked like over $700.00 you need a business location in most states, you are open to BATF inspection, you must provide transaction history- to prove you are really in business, you must provide tax returns indicating the business is real, and you must first go through the background through your CLEO and the BATF. If you can't get a sign off for a SBS from your local CLEO you might wanna consider the logistics of moving out of the state, for me although Maryland is kinda bad, we can own machine guns and class III items but we can't carry legally which is a big deal to me, and hopefully soon I will be moving to Virginia just a little tired of Maryland.

Live in New Orlean so to try to get a letter is a waste of time

Getting a Class III is alot more involved then you think, your annual fee is I beleive last time I checked like over $700.00 you need a business location in most states, you are open to BATF inspection, you must provide transaction history- to prove you are really in business, you must provide tax returns indicating the business is real, and you must first go through the background through your CLEO and the BATF. If you can't get a sign off for a SBS from your local CLEO you might wanna consider the logistics of moving out of the state, for me although Maryland is kinda bad, we can own machine guns and class III items but we can't carry legally which is a big deal to me, and hopefully soon I will be moving to Virginia just a little tired of Maryland.

The gentleman is asking about doing corporation purchases not becoming an FFL/SOT from my reading of his post. I'd go the trust route. Check with AR15.com or subguns.com NFA archive. Lots of information.

Jake