New .223 member. What mags can work in Saiga .223?

I'm a longtime member of the Saiga 12 and 7.62x39 forums and I'm very interested in getting a .223 Saiga to convert for some more accurate target shooting. I currently have 3 Saigas: a convered Saiga 12, a converted Saiga 7.62x39 and a stock but soon to be converted 7.62x39 Saiga

What mags have worked for people in their converted Saiga .223s? I have read about Bulgarian waffle mags, Galil mags, Orilite mags, Bakelite mags, Weiger mags and Bulgarian slabside mags.

Which work with just adding a homemade feedramp under the trunion and trimming the mag catch?

Do I need to add U.S. made .223 followers to these 5.45x39 mags and who sells them?

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of these mags, will they work?

M-74BIO.jpg

dont need to trip the magazine catch.

I went with rpbusa bakelite mags for $4.25 each and robarm follower. though you may want to get new unmodified mags. the rpb bakelites have been worked on some and are kinda pita. may require some epoxy/2part polymer to fix what rpb did to the mag to get it right.

the feedramp unless you are able to find thick pipe will need a beed welded on piece of pipe you plan to use to raise the 223 case enough. you have to get it just right or you get problems. real pita.

might need to modify receiver to accomidate ak74 magazines. the protrusion in the magwell above the magazine catch lever. not sure havent tried ak74 mags.

some ak74 mags may need little work on the feedlips use a file and go slow it does not require alot of grinding. some of my bakelites required no work to the feedlips. its where the feedlips contact the trunion. I also had to grind the unside of the magazine precisely where the shoulder of the 223/5.56 casing is to improve feeding. otherwise would have to tap the bottom of the mag for the spring to hicup and push the casings up. may not have to with polymer ak74 could be just bakelites.

anymore I am thinking of picking up couple AR15's and am thinking of converting to rifle to AR15 magazines somehow.

Edited by mrapathy2000