STOLEN S 308

I regret to report my S .308 was stolen in West Palm Beach Saturday 7/14/07. Serial # XXXXXXXXXXXXX . Pistol grip, front site pushed back against gas block, & AK 74 comp permanently attached to make 16' total. Romy side folder. Was still in locked car, hoping to go to the range the next day. I live in a gated community with minium wage security guards. LOL. West Palm SO case # 07-097738. Gun was in locked trunk but they pulled out the rear seat to get in. If anyone sees this gun please contact me. Gary Taninbaum. 954-709-3200. I don't care about the $. Just don't need another gun on the streets in the wrong hands. Lots of gang shootings in the hood nearby. Thanks. GARY N4KVE

Edited by Juggernaut
Now that weapon has bee recovered, no need for Serial #
I regret to report my S .308 was stolen in West Palm Beach Saturday 7/14/07. Serial # XXXXXXXXXXXXX . Pistol grip, front site pushed back against gas block, & AK 74 comp permanently attached to make 16' total. Romy side folder. Was still in locked car, hoping to go to the range the next day. I live in a gated community with minium wage security guards. LOL. West Palm SO case # 07-097738. Gun was in locked trunk but they pulled out the rear seat to get in. If anyone sees this gun please contact me. Gary Taninbaum. 954-709-3200. I don't care about the $. Just don't another gun on the streets in the wrong hands. Lots of gang shootings in the hood nearby. Thanks. GARY N4KVE

Sorry to hear that. Bummer.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I regularly go to the range, so people do see me carry black cases to the car. I don't think they were looking for a gun. I think they were looking for a cellphone or other neat stuff. I have a Motorola 2 way radio on ham frequencies, & they left that. Apparantly the back seat easily folds down & voila, the trunk is there. They saw my gym bag on the back seat & upon finding empty mags, ear & eye protection, decided to look further. They did handle some mags which I gave to the SO, hoping to get some prints. When I filed the report, he deputy said he had an AR-15 stolen, & never saw it again, however my neighbor who also lost a shotgun got it back real fast. It was in a pawnshop. Thanks again. GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE
Sounds like they knew it was in the trunk before hand. Like they seen you put it in the trunk.

I like that proto call for finding a stolen weapon. ....do a function test with live rounds. :devil:

A few years ago I heard that Palm Beach County had a rather nasty policy with

regards to stolen guns.Someone had told me that stolen weapons when

recovered by law enforcement were to be destroyed by the county as per ordinance.

I would hope that has changed since then.

Edited by my762buzz
someone saw you put it in the car, if they pulled the rear seat out to get into the trunk....

Someone that lives there I'd add.....it happened to me like that in san diego once. Was an asshole that was 2 car ports down. Must have seen me put it in, and take it out of my truck. I left it in there one night, forgetting to take out. But he was a dumbass after taking it ,and didn't have enough sense to not keep my gun case that wasn't common.....fuckin dumbshit. I called the cops. Got my dads sks back from his girls apartment. Someone saw him come by with my red case. I had given a description of the case, and posted it thinking fuck it? why not. It was spendy/nice. Didn't think someone would chuck it, if they did take it. I was right. Neighbor called my number. I called cops. Thank God.

Stolen guns often turn up in other investigations. With the plea bargin system, if the gun charge is bargined down then the gun is not need for evidence. So no checks are made on it and it is just destroyed. Too much work to look it up I guess.

I had a friend get a call from the police dept about 3 months after it had been pinched from his house. Relatively painless process to get it back, he just went in and signed for it, no questions asked. They handed it back in a 7-11 paper bag, totally dirty and trashed as shit! Was a good reminder for me to write down sn's of mine. He didn't have any record of it, luckily he had it registered on Ft. Hood, and the MP's gave him the serial number so he could put it in the report.

Unfortunately no word from the police yet. This might be a terrible thing to say, but if I had to lose a gun, I'm glad it was the Saiga. I have some much rarer or unreplacable guns, & if they were stolen, I couldn't find another. How often do you see an Israeli LB FAL? Or a Bulgarian milled Krink in 7.62? The Saiga I can replace tomorrow. My big worry is there is another AK in the hands of a gang banger. I'll give it some time before I replace the Saiga. This sucks. GARY N4KVE

hate to hear this gary.

at least now i know that my paranoia is just.

i never ever leave my guns in my vehicles. especially overnight. even at the house.

especially that one morning that i was on the way to work and i looked back in my rearview mirror and noticed an odd looking smudge on the back glass. upon closer inspection i noticed it was the outline of someones face! my back and side windows are factory tinted pretty dark. guess they wanted to get a good look at what might have been on the back seat or floorboard.

vehicles are very simple to get into. alot simplier than most people think.

thats why my babies go back in the safe.

and my biggest thing is to not let ANYONE see me bring my guns in and out of the house. in a case or not. there is alot of traffic on my road and anyone of those bastards could be watching. but what they don't know is that i am watching them as well! :devil:

i'll also add another note.

another good reason to not leave them in the vehicle is escaped convicts running through your yard!

might sound far fetched but it actually happened to me.

ya'll remember McNAIR? escaped from POLLOCK FEDERAL PRISON in LOUISIANA?

well, bastard cut through my backyard just minutes before i got home from work with my pistol in hand.

the railroad tracks where the BALL police officer that let him go are near my house.

just can't imagine how i would feel if he would have broken into a vehicle of mine and stole a weapon. then worst case scenario he would murder again with my gun.

just goes to show you never ever know what is going to happen or when.

hope you retrieve your saiga back gary!

• 1 year later...

Well, this is amazing. Almost 2 years to the day & I'm going on vacation tomorrow. I've called a few times to the PD to see if my Saiga was ever recovered, & I was always told no. I decided to check again at the 2 year anniversary & this particular Sgt decides to dig a little deeper. He just called me back & the gun was recovered 1 year & 9 months ago. He can't understand why I was not notified since I haven't moved & my phone #'s are the same. He doesn't know where it is right now but will tomorrow. I'm going away on vacation at 6 AM but he gave me his cell # to contact him when I get back. I was upset that the price of the gun went up $200 even before our new Prez was elected so I wasn't planning to replace it. So my immediate thoughts are was it destroyed, & if not, what shape is it in? I feel like I won the lotto. I'll get back as I know more. GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE

GOOD NEWS. I doubt it was destroyed. there is a specified time period before the gun can be destroyed or sold at a police auction, and I dont think its under several years.

Well I'm on vacation in Canada this week, but I received a call from the Sgt @ the county PD & the rifle is definately at a local city PD in their evidence locker. I will pick it up when I get back to town. I'll post more as I find out. GARY N4KVE

This is like the #1 post I've ever ready that had a good update years later.

I just hope your 308 resembles your last memories of it. Luckily it was in the locker for year + 9mos.

Hope to see you at the Sheriff's 20 mile bend range some time. I'm the Saiga .223 (keeping my 308 unfired till I decide what direction I go with it).

Well I got back from vacation & went to the PD to get my Saiga back. I had to fill out a form, get it notarized, & wait a few days. I asked to see it & it looked just like new. They all knew about the gun as it was part of a 20 lb pot bust. It should just be a few more days. GARY N4KVE

Well I got back from vacation & went to the PD to get my Saiga back. I had to fill out a form, get it notarized, & wait a few days. I asked to see it & it looked just like new. They all knew about the gun as it was part of a 20 lb pot bust. It should just be a few more days. GARY N4KVE

It sucks that they sat on it for so long, but it's great that you are getting it back, and as a consolation, if you compare what it was worth when it was stolen versus what it is worth now, not many other investments have done so well...