OK,I know this is a big no-no shooting the wrong caliber in ANY gun but for a SURVIVAL SITUATION and all you could find in a fallen down cabin was a box of .22LR how safe would shooting a .22LR in a Marlin bolt action .22Mag and would it extract and not cause bodily or firearm damage?I once saw a takedown Marlin .22Mag at a gunshow and I maybe moving to Alaska in the future.If I see it again,I may buy it.

Question #2.I had a really crappy Henry AR7 and the factory could not fix the problems and they traded out a lever action to replace it.I miss the package and I'm almost willing to try again to see if I get a good one this time.Should I bother?I remember how much of a joy it was to pack in a backpack and carry.My thought is I always can sell it,this time I won't even worry about dealing with Henry,either shoots good or sell off.Am I outta my mind?

If you drop the 22lr shell in the chamber and pull the trigger, and IF it goes off, just chunk the gun, because it'll most likely put the entire thing into the barrel, the 22lr casing will drop into a 22 mag casing, but since we are talking, you said ALASKA and 22LR, ah hell, go ahead and do it, it won't hurt the bear, but I bet he'll die laughing his ass off, just like I told my wife about pulling out her P22 with the A2 flash hider, even if you don't hit the guy, he won't go far, because he'll be laughing too hard to run. I wouldn't go there with anything less than 44 mag (22mag in Alaska), consider the 454 to 500 pistols, but not no FRICKING 22LR. :):):):):):) you gotta be peeing on our legs, claiming it's raining.

If you're looking for a small packable .22lr, consider the Marlin Papoose. Very light gun, fun to shoot, and if I was any good, I'm sure I could hit squirrel-sized targets at 100 yds. But like termite said, Alaska probably needs something a little more substantial.

Firing a 22lr in a mag chamber would work but the brass will split and you may get some hot gas coming out of the action. Not recommended. The AR-7 was meant as a survival rifle, not a combat gun. Most of them work OK but you may have to try a number of magazines to get one that will feed. You can also set up a 10/22 as a lightweight with a folding stock and a carbon fiber barrel.

Well,I had a stainless synthetic shocked Marlin Papoose once and it ALWAYS jammed!Nobody could fix it,like my gunsmith and the factory,so I sold it off.I have the big guns,just looking for a backpack for a squirrel gun.I do have Taurus pump rifles that break down.I did think about the Ruger 10/22 thing before as I already have one I could pimp... B)

A .22 would only be good for rabbits and such in Alaska or anywhere else. As for the Henry, I have an old Armalite AR-7, and have never had any problem other than it's a bitch to strip for cleaning (it comes apart easy enough >-BUT-<

there are 2 pins and 2 springs that LOOK identical to the eye - however they will not interchange. It is also "fussy" about mags, Henry mags are worthless in it. Armalite mags work flawlessly as long as the feedlips are not mangled.

Yeah,I think for takedown .22's I'll settle with manual operated guns,no semis. I do like the little Browning .22 but not the price.I have a Chinese clone that works well enough but the sights are mounted really low and are hard for a 6' guy to use.

Well,I had a stainless synthetic shocked Marlin Papoose once and it ALWAYS jammed!Nobody could fix it,like my gunsmith and the factory,so I sold it off.

I used to have the same problem with mine, but I narrowed it down to ammo. The only one that doesn't FTE on me every 4th round or so are CCI Stingers, which are a hotter load than the other brands. The worst offender I found was the cheap Federal ammo (guess what I got a whole brick of? :rolleyes: ).

• 2 weeks later...

Well,I was just to a gunshow today and saw the little takedown Marlin .22magnum rifle I wrote of earlier in mint condition for $185 but I passed on grounds of still the overall length and the weight of the large wooden stock.I have a .22mag Taurus takedown pump that is much better for packing.I just saved $185! :rolleyes:

Edited by THE_HUNTER
  • 3 weeks later...

OK,now I'm thinking of selling off my Norinco Browning .22 knockoff and buying the takedown Marlin .22 mag after all.More accuracy,power,better fit and more dependable.I can also mount a scope on it and buy the chamber adapters I spoke of earlier for up close smaller vermin in .22 long rifle.How accurate will a .22mag rifle be when using a chamber adapter by MCA Sports for .22 long rifle as the LR bullet is of a lesser diameter?I know my Ruger Single Six rocks in .22mag and is OK in .22LR,but not the same accuracy.

Funny thing is my Ruger Single Six shoots same point of aim with both! B)

Edited by THE_HUNTER

Ar-7's are sensitive to the mags. They only like some of them. (Armalite don't like other brand mags). And like all Stoner designs it must be CLEAN AND LUBED. That said, with well tested mags it is verry reliable-just keep it stored in the stock so it stays clean.

If you leave it assembled and toss it behind the seat of the pickup it will soon be worthless.

Cool about the homemade .22mag-LR adapter.I'll have to play around with that one.As for the AR7's I've owned,all were Henry and I tried atleast 5 mags,along with some hicaps and babied the gun,kept it stored unassembled and lubricated but they were still worthless.I have a black cloud hanging over my past AR7's.... :ded:

• 1 month later...

Figure I would bring this post outta the mothballs and post the pic of my newest gun,the "Marlin" that I spoke of that is actually a Savage!I sold off a Sub2000 and a Norinco Browning clone .22 rifle and had plenty of money for that, a new bow and gadgets.Here is a woods pic of it in action with all of the extras I mounted.Funny thing is I already have the synthetic stocked version of this rifle with a heavy barrel I murder groundhogs with :super: Pics of both!

post-4588-1193227008_thumb.jpg

post-4588-1193227030_thumb.jpg

Question for hatedrug: if you file the rim off a magnum shell to use as an adapter for .22long rifle,how would you keep the shell from getting stuck in the chamber?I would think only the long rifle shell would be extracted,leaving the magnum shell "tube" stuck in the chamber.

I had posted about http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm in another section appearing to be defunct.They have the adapters I wrote of earlier in this post and it bugs me that I cannot get them!Buggers...

In Alaska you might want to consider a lever gun that would shoot both 45LC and 454 casull. The 45lc with lead bullets could bring down small game without mutilating it, and the 454 casull through a 16 in plus bbl could make mr bear think twice about attacking you. A 12 ga saiga might be even better, but ammo would be harder to carry in quantity.

As for a survival 22, you might also want to consider something like a cz youth model. I scoped my daughter's old cz and improved the trigger. Now it's a fine and handy 22 to tote through the woods. If I improvised some sort of folding stock on it, it would really be a good deal.

Sorry to drag out the old post, but the question of the best survival gun in situations without the "war aspect" is always interesting to ponder. Everything from a 10mm, to 357 mag, to 12 ga, to various 22's seem to float to the top of my list (lower 48 states that is). I bought an izhmash 22 over 20ga that really had me convinced it was the real deal as the ultimate backcountry survival gun, that is until I took it to the range and the 20 ga bbl wasn't lined up anywhere near to correctly, sigh.

I have a Savage .223/ 12 Gauge and it's quite heavy.I have alot of little .22 takedowns and stuff but always interested in new thangs.Springfield M6 is cool but only with a .410 shotgun barrel and .22.Kinda light on the shotgun side.Up close though I've made kills with it.Plus I have a red dot scope on it.Pretty accurate.