.308 gets new clothes

So I finally got the furniture from BRG3. (No offense meant, any wait seems like forever.)

Tomorrow I may be finishing up the sanding and staining. I tried staining today but it needs more sanding for the stain to "pop" in the right color for my tastes. Eventually she'll be a redhead of the purple variety. Red Mahogany, I believe it's called. Then probably a very thick glossy clearcoat.

Anyways, wanted to post the new shape up, and also show the wood grain. So without further ado:

BEFORE:

DCP_2453.jpg

DCP_2450.jpg

And AFTER fitting:

DCP_2447.jpg

DCP_2435_1.jpg

The grain follows the shape beautifully. Notice how it curves down with the grip while remaining straight with the stock.

DCP_2437.jpg

DCP_2443.jpg

That rifle is a sex machine! Definatly the best looking unconverted .308 I've seen yet. The lengthened handguard kind of reminds me of the rifles in the original Planet of the Apes. Thats the cool thing about Saigas, people never seem to stop puting their own spin on them. Good work, to be certain.

not sure about the extended handguard.

I kept putting my left hand on the front edge of the handgiard AND the barrel. :unsure:

Those thicker barrels take a while to cool down. :ded:

I too, think I'll use the synth stock for hunting in 2 weeks. They are nearly the same weiight for handguard + buttstock in plastic vs. wood, but gotta go with what I'm used to for this season.

That rifle is a sex machine! Definatly the best looking unconverted .308 I've seen yet. The lengthened handguard kind of reminds me of the rifles in the original Planet of the Apes. Thats the cool thing about Saigas, people never seem to stop puting their own spin on them. Good work, to be certain.

Sexy I've heard, but this would be the first time I've ever heard a rifle referred to as a sex machine. While I wouldn't mix guns with sex, I'll take that as a compliment. :D

I'll probably be trying out a future version that goes all the way to the front site, in what I think they'd call the "International" or "Mannlicher" style or something like that. Ruger offers a number of guns with a really FULL length stock.

• 1 month later...

Well, after one coat of stain, it looked like further coats would downplay the red and made the stock more brown. So I only put one coat of stain of, then took a week to get 4 coats of polyurethane on.

Took it to a ARF shoot last weekend, it got a lot of looks. I guess people there aren't used to seeing AKs that aren't thrashed and beat up. People seemed to be pretty impressed with the finish. I was a little critical of my clearcoat job, but noone else noticed the imperfections from this being my first time finishing a stock.

I didn't get any really detailed pics of the finished project, but these should give you some idea how it looks. And now you guys won't think I'm a gorilla. :haha:

d67abe99.jpg

b6d32fa5.jpg

:wub:

Thanks again BRG3!

From the pictures I'd say you did a great job finishing the stock. Something I've found in stock making and finishing is that it's easy to white glove your own work and find things wrong with it, and you'll always find a high grade stock out there that will always look nicer. But compare it side by side to a lot of typical furniture and it looks pretty good.

All right fellas..last final (for 6 months) was today. On to the pics.

Plz. excuse out of date camera (no manual focus and low MPs.)

DCP_2950.jpg

DCP_2955.jpg

The thick polyurethane makes focusing difficult:

DCP_2956.jpg

DCP_2957.jpg

DCP_2966_1.jpg

But I did get a couple decent ones of the grain.

DCP_2965.jpg

DCP_2968_1.jpg

And the forend, at least the ones that came out.

DCP_2969_1.jpg

DCP_2971_1.jpg

Edited by busy_squirrel