Nice, so essentually our beloved weapon is named for a wild, horned goat.

The "little people" of South America will love this- peasants there call the AK-47 the "Cuerno de la cabra" meaning "Horn of the Goat" because of the shape of the magazine. AK enthusiasts in the US always laughed at this as a quaint little peasant thing, but it turns out they were right, eh?

Well, I suppose its what we get for buying into a country who fields a Sub Machinegun named a "Bison"..... growing up on a farm I guess I never imagined herd dwelling herbivors something that struck fear into the hearts of my enemies... :lolol:

First Saiga hunting rifle had his name because of first saigas was designed for hunting this animals with 7.62x39 military round (or neibour 5.6x39 - I don't remember). After that the whole weapon family inherit this name.

Gunfighter84:  Well, I suppose its what we get for buying into a country who fields a Sub Machinegun named a "Bison"..... growing up on a farm I guess I never imagined herd dwelling herbivors something that struck fear into the hearts of my enemies... 

Hmmm... I didn't posess any farm-related knowledge but as I know such animals can ram with all their enormous mass and horns. Thats for fun. :wacko:

IMHO bison(2) SMG just has bison-like shape (mostly due to Calico-like tubular magazine) and got it's name from it.

bizon-1-sm.jpg

Silenced model (bison-3) is definitely not this case

bizon-3-sm.jpg

A) I was just kidding

B) If I'm going to take game, I think I'd rely on one of the what, two hundred million odd 7.62x54 bolt action rifles still in circulation? Something about hunting any game with a mag-fed semi-auto that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dunno, may be its just me.