LibertyMags introduces new 308 Saiga Mag?!?!?

Copied from Survival Blog

Note from JWR:

Today we welcome our newest advertiser, Liberty Mags, in Casper, Wyoming. They offer a 17 round magazine for the Saiga .308 series rifles. These magazines work without any modifications to your existing rifle. They are based on modified steel HK91 (G3) magazines and retain the original feed lips and reliability. All the magazines are made with new surplus magazines and are completely refinished using zinc phosphate Parkerization. Their price is $35 each for each freshly-modified and refinished magazine, or $25 each with your steel 20 round HK91/G3 magazine supplied as a trade-in. These mags are guaranteed for 100% function in the Saiga rifle system and each comes with a full replacement guarantee. Presently, their "on hand" supply of completed magazines is limited to less than 100 pieces. Orders are shipped in the same order that payment is received, ("First come, first served.") For ordering information, contact Liberty Mags: libertymags@hotmail.com

Anyone play with these yet? Anyone heard of this company? Is this even possible?

Edited by Vermiform

Note from JWR:

Today we welcome our newest advertiser, Liberty Mags, in Casper, Wyoming. They offer a 17 round magazine for the Saiga .308 series rifles. These magazines work without any modifications to your existing rifle. They are based on modified steel HK91 (G3) magazines and retain the original feed lips and reliability. All the magazines are made with new surplus magazines and are completely refinished using zinc phosphate Parkerization. Their price is $35 each for each freshly-modified and refinished magazine, or $25 each with your steel 20 round HK91/G3 magazine supplied as a trade-in. These mags are guaranteed for 100% function in the Saiga rifle system and each comes with a full replacement guarantee. Presently, their "on hand" supply of completed magazines is limited to less than 100 pieces. Orders are shipped in the same order that payment is received, ("First come, first served.") For ordering information, contact Liberty Mags: libertymags@hotmail.com

Anyone play with these yet? Anyone heard of this company? Is this even possible?

I'm trying to order some. The guy hasn't responded to email yet.

If you hear from him, I'd very much like to know. It has now been a full week since I emailed him, and still no response. JWR indicated in an email to me that the guy was going to be out of town, and planned on sending a mass mail to all who had written, but it's possible that mine was overlooked, since I wrote him prior to his ad going online.

he answered me today. said it's a $10.00 shipping fee if you order 1-9 mags and free shipping if 10 or more. sent his name and address for sending orders in.

said he takes postal or similar m.o.'s and personal checks too iirc, but he waits until the checks clear. said to include my email addy that way he could notify me when he receives payment, and when the order ships.

said he's about 3 weeks out on shipping 'cause he makes them in batches.

Does he have a website? If not, this guy needs to post something here... like a pic... otherwise my interest in his product rates somewhere near zero. Besides, isn't this the place if you are trying to sell something Saiga related?

I really want to know why he can't get 20 rds out of a 20 rd mag. That said, another hi cap option sounds alright to me.

Also, if he can do it, we can do it. So whats he doing that hasn't been done here already?

Does he have a website? If not, this guy needs to post something here... like a pic... otherwise my interest in his product rates somewhere near zero. Besides, isn't this the place if you are trying to sell something Saiga related?

He may not even be aware of this forum. The blog he is using to advertise caters to the preparedness crowd, who have thus far discounted the Saiga for their use, mostly since it isn't practical to *really* stock up on extra hi-cap magazines. Mostly they are into FALs, G-3s, etc. In an earlier letter that was posted to the blog, the guy behind Liberty Mags offered to show how to convert the mags in addition to selling them ready to go. Being able to convert a cheap and plentiful mag will make the Saiga a viable option to many of that site's readers.

I really want to know why he can't get 20 rds out of a 20 rd mag. That said, another hi cap option sounds alright to me.

I think he is removing a sliver of metal and narrowing the top of the mag, and then welding it back together, before adding the tabs needed to lock into the Saiga mag well. This would decrease the internal volume slightly, which would explain the 17 round capacity.

Also, if he can do it, we can do it. So whats he doing that hasn't been done here already?

If he can do it, *some* of us can do it. The majority of shooters, lacking metalworking skill and precision welding equipment are probably better off buying their mags pre-converted, or from FBMG. Others will attempt JB weld type conversions like in that old thread on converting M-14 mags, and wonder why it doesn't work out. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find he has made up a jig to ensure that all of his converted mags are the same, but that is just speculation on my part.

He may not even be aware of this forum. The blog he is using to advertise caters to the preparedness crowd, who have thus far discounted the Saiga for their use, mostly since it isn't practical to *really* stock up on extra hi-cap magazines. Mostly they are into FALs, G-3s, etc. In an earlier letter that was posted to the blog, the guy behind Liberty Mags offered to show how to convert the mags in addition to selling them ready to go. Being able to convert a cheap and plentiful mag will make the Saiga a viable option to many of that site's readers.

I think he is removing a sliver of metal and narrowing the top of the mag, and then welding it back together, before adding the tabs needed to lock into the Saiga mag well. This would decrease the internal volume slightly, which would explain the 17 round capacity.

If he can do it, *some* of us can do it. The majority of shooters, lacking metalworking skill and precision welding equipment are probably better off buying their mags pre-converted, or from FBMG. Others will attempt JB weld type conversions like in that old thread on converting M-14 mags, and wonder why it doesn't work out. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find he has made up a jig to ensure that all of his converted mags are the same, but that is just speculation on my part.

I emailed him and told him just what you said. He needs to be advertising on this site so he can get his product reviewed.

I'm going to order a couple to see how they work.

Hey,

Let's see if he will do a GROUP BUY on these!

Let's save some bucks and let him do a bunch at once!

At this point, I would settle for getting him to respond at all... I hate wanting to send somebody money in exchange for things they claim to want to sell, and getting ignored. I'll have to drop him another email.

Edited by Netpackrat
Hey,

At this point, I would settle for getting him to respond at all... I hate wanting to send somebody money in exchange for things they claim to want to sell, and getting ignored. I'll have to drop him another email.

I emailed him last night and had a response in my inbox this morning, says he is 3 weeks out at this point, I also requested pic's. So we will see. I'm in for a group buy.

Hey,

I emailed him last night and had a response in my inbox this morning, says he is 3 weeks out at this point, I also requested pic's. So we will see. I'm in for a group buy.

Count me in for a group buy - I'll take 2. Only one thing - how will we get the mags to everybody without paying shipping?

Edited by fossten
Does anyone want to start a group buy thread for this, and be the contact for this seller?

I would think we should get a better price if we get enough confirmed buyers.

Anyone have any experience in running a group buy? :unsure:

I've never done one, or I'd be glad to. I guess somebody's got to ship out the mags after receiving the group shipment. That's going to cost ship money. I suspect it will cost each of us $10 each anyway.

Whats all this talk about a group buy?

Look, I'm not normally a naysayer, but wouldn't it be nice to know a little bit more before we all start throwing our cash at someone who rarely answers emails, and for a product that no one here has even seen? He probably does a great job and I do look foreward to learning more, but geez...

I'm as interested as the next guy, I think. Deep breaths fellas, we will learn more in time. I for one hope that if he does come around here that he isn't driven off like FBMG was by an impatient, crazed mob. It sounds like he might have more to offer than just magazines.

My $.02 FWIT. I don't understand why you guys want to buy from this guy. Hey, maybe he's on the up and up. But I haven't seen anything posted here that gives me the warm and fuzzies about this company. All I'm saying is I would do a little research before giving these people any money. I mean, it could just be a small company. That's cool. But I'd want to know why most on here seem to have been ignored.

My $.02 FWIT. I don't understand why you guys want to buy from this guy. Hey, maybe he's on the up and up. But I haven't seen anything posted here that gives me the warm and fuzzies about this company. All I'm saying is I would do a little research before giving these people any money. I mean, it could just be a small company. That's cool. But I'd want to know why most on here seem to have been ignored.

+1

I would wait until a picture is posted here and someone I trust takes a look at it, like BattleRifleG3, Dinzag, Vjor, etc. Please don't buy from this guy until we see he is on the up & up. I brought this link to the forum and I would hate to be party to a scam. Since BRG3 was working on an adapter, maybe he can tell us if he thinks these mags are even possible........

Just FWIW, I've had three email correspondences with the guy and he's replied quickly each time. He did tell me that the reason it took a few days to respond to the first email was because he was out of town on business. Each time after that he's responded within one day.

I urged him to advertise on here and post pics and he said he was going to do so.

Just FWIW, I've had three email correspondences with the guy and he's replied quickly each time. He did tell me that the reason it took a few days to respond to the first email was because he was out of town on business. Each time after that he's responded within one day.

I urged him to advertise on here and post pics and he said he was going to do so.

I want to clarify here. I am by no means saying not to use this company. Just saying I personally would check them out a bit more before they got any of my hard earned money. I would also want to know how long it takes to ship once an order is placed. We ship within a week, weather permitting (we can't ship when the temps go over 91). JMHO.

I'm in the wait and see mode. Wasn't a similar deal on Gunbroker last year, and everyone lost their money that sent any? I would send him a query on COD's because just about any legit business will do those.

Show me something, and a review, then I'll open the checkbook. Maybe.

At this point I would rather have one of BRG3's G3 mag adapters for mine, because I already have plenty of alum. G3 mags.

So who's on his list already that can do a review of the mags?

If you are, let us know. If not, then I'll send him $45 just to give FBMG some competition.

This guy answered his email right away and claims to be three weeks out. FBMG went from June to July to September (not to mention the shipping fiasco's with their pre pay "incentive" deal last year). I've ordered two sets of mags from FBMG and they screwed up each order. Not to be too critical of FBMG as the product is good, but I think this guy is worth a look.

So, if you're already on his list, please let us know and be so kind as to do a review/test once you get the product. If nobody replies, then I'll send him some cash early next week to get the ball rolling.

So who's on his list already that can do a review of the mags?

If you are, let us know. If not, then I'll send him $45 just to give FBMG some competition.

This guy answered his email right away and claims to be three weeks out. FBMG went from June to July to September (not to mention the shipping fiasco's with their pre pay "incentive" deal last year). I've ordered two sets of mags from FBMG and they screwed up each order. Not to be too critical of FBMG as the product is good, but I think this guy is worth a look.

So, if you're already on his list, please let us know and be so kind as to do a review/test once you get the product. If nobody replies, then I'll send him some cash early next week to get the ball rolling.

Sounds good to me. Let us know!

I would wait until a picture is posted here and someone I trust takes a look at it, like BattleRifleG3, Dinzag, Vjor, etc. Please don't buy from this guy until we see he is on the up & up. I brought this link to the forum and I would hate to be party to a scam. Since BRG3 was working on an adapter, maybe he can tell us if he thinks these mags are even possible........

Well, I'm the guy who hasn't gotten a response, and that is probably because I haven't followed up, having been out of town for most of the last week. So I think that at this point, wait and see is the best policy. AFAIK, they are a new company and are still getting up to speed. My email probably just got lost in the shuffle. I'll let you know what I find out.

As for BRG3's adapter, it was my understanding that a big part of its reason for existence was to be able to use mostly unmodified G3 mags, that could still be used in the original rifle, for compliance with the 1994 magazine ban, which no longer exists. So a big part of the reason for that is now gone. BRG3 has already posted that the STOCK G3 mags won't work without an adapter, since you would have to remove too much metal from the receiver. It is my understanding that the "Liberty" mags are modified to the point where they probably won't work in a G3, although that is still speculation on my part. Hopefully one of us can get our hands on some of the converted mags and post a review.

Note from JWR:

I have got a HK91 and a butt load of mags. I guess my concern is that if the conversion is not readily obvious that I could get the mags confused with each other. I am looking foward to pictures.

Got an email back tonight saying that he got my payment, and that my mags are in the current batch, due to ship in about 3 weeks. I don't expect to have my conversion done by then so I can actually use them, but at least they are on the way. If they work, and if I can duplicate the mods, I will make up a few more, otherwise order from him. Nothing against FBMG and what they have been able to accomplish, but I'd rather have a metal mag, so I am really hoping these work out okay.

I have got a HK91 and a butt load of mags. I guess my concern is that if the conversion is not readily obvious that I could get the mags confused with each other. I am looking foward to pictures.

That is easily fixed with a black permanent Sharpie, my friend.