High Cap. Mags For Saiga .308

I was in hope that someone else would begin manufacturing high cap. mags for the Saiga .308, but it doesn't seem any manufacturer or individual is going to have anything marketable anytime soon.

Since I have some experience in modifying High Cap mags to fit other rifles, i.e., MG-13 for Hakim & Metric FAL for MAS 49/56, I have some ideas I'm starting on next Monday for converting High Cap mags to fit the Saiga .308.

Anyone that is interested in High Cap. converted mags for their Saiga .308 please PM me. Thanks, Cajun

Word to the wise: Look at the G3 first. It seems to be the closest fit in sock form. I think the major issue is the mags are too wide at the front portion where the trunion is located, which doesn't make a conversion easy. If you come up with something, let us know.

RooK, That is certainly one of the first mags I will be working with from the start. Once I get a workable conversion, I'll post the info. Appreciate your post.

KySoldier, I must have missed that post. I hope they aren't overpriced like the Shotgun mags. Please post the thread. Thanks, Cajun

Ill. Irish, I know if Kerry wins, the new version of the Assault Weapon Ban will be high on the agenda for him. Even Bush isn't a sure bet after the election, for some type of Assault Weapon Ban.

Rather than wait on others, I'm modifying High Cap. magazines now for the Saiga .308, and some other rifles & pistols I own. Also modifying receivers for pistol caliber High Cap. magazines.

At least if a new AWB comes soon, I won't be saying I should have done that, instead of sitting on my A$$.

BattleRifleG3, You can get a throwaway Digital Camera at Wal Mart or most stores. They put the pix on a CD, so posting them shouldn't be a problem. Prior to the sunset of the AWB, I assumed you were working with G-3 mags cut off to 5 rounders, and already had the conversion figured out. That's what I get by assuming something, and not asking.

First, I fabricated 6 bottom flats that duplicate the bottom of the Saiga .308, as they cost a few cents plus a little time to make them. I'm not modifying a rifle until I'm close to a finished product. I did remove the rear mag catch, and mounted it to the flat with machine screws. The flats are the only way to go when modifying Mags when you have no measurements.

G-3 Magazine - What I've done so far is fabricate a front catch for the G-3 Mag that is mounted just in front of the mag well. The matching part will attach to the front of the G-3 magazine once the location for flawless feeding has been found. Just a short piece of flat stock with a beveled end at the mag well, and two holes, which will be attached to the receiver with hardened machine screws. The receiver must be drilled and tapped to attach the front mag catch.

Duplicating the front of the Saiga Magazine on a G-3 mag with a dremil tool is easy enough. Just forget about the Saiga front mag catch, as that is too hard to duplicate, and the new install mag catch and matching Mag part takes it's place.

Duplicating the rear catch on the G-3 magazine is also just taking measurements, fabricating the catch, and attaching it to the G-3 mag.

I'm using steel G-3 magazines which allows me to button weld mods to the mag.

Next comes the follower and feed lips.

I've taken lots and lots of measurements of the Saiga receiver with the original Mag installed, and duplicating the same.

MG-13 Magazine - I've yet to start on this one, but have seen it used before, and they are one tough magazine. After that, comes the metric FAL & inch pattern L1A1. Make sure you get steel mags, and test them with a magnet.

Anyone else want to jump in on this project, feel free, as I plan to put the magazine modification on a website to share with everyone. It used to be a lot easier, as I put high cap mag mods, AK receivers (welded flats & machine screw), FAL parts interchangability, on Text files on Limewire and Napster as downloads, but the greedy corps and musicians shut down the music, along with access to the text files.

Gotta run, Cajun

Have I missed something? Probably. With the AWB gone, can we modify existing mags, like the G3 mag, without their still having to fit the original gun? This could open up vast new possibilities.

Yep. See how important that stupid law sunsetting was?

Cajun, can't wait to see some pics.

Because:

- There is no delivery date/guarantee.

- No price, most definately the same or more than 8rnders (expensive).

- You'll get hicaps sooner and possibly have a larger supply should something happen, say a new AWB.

The election is less than a month away, and it's looks like a photo finish. Kerry is very clear about his Anti Gun position. So I work on and finish as many projects as possible that were a violation of the law under the old AWB, and anything that I think might be covered in the event there is a new AWB. High Cap. mags are a priority, especially with rifles/sghoguns for which there isn't a production High Cap. mag. available in the USA.

Start working on those G-3 Mags for the Saiga .308, as conversions are legal, at least under Federal law.

BattleRifleG3, are you going forward with your conversions, or???. My conversions are for my own guns, and I do plan to share the info on a website. There are quite a few people who would prefer just to buy modified mags, as they don't have the time, skills, or tools to do the job, so you still have a market. As I previously said, I thought you had the conversion nailed using a 5 rd. G-3 mag, so switching to High Caps would be easy after the sunset of the AWB. Once I found out you hadn't perfected the conversion, I decided to make my own High caps. My intensions are to fabricate High caps, and share the info with others, not compete for sales of High cap. magazines, so please stay focused on production of modified G-3 magazines for those who prefer to buy their mags already modified for the Saiga .308. My goal is to get as many High caps produced by anyone before another AWB comes along. Cajun

Can't you use two 10rd mag , take the floor plate off, joint them bottom to bottom, and use a longer mag spring, then glue or tape or use bracket to solidly hold these two mag bodies together? you can load now it from either end, and when you only load it from one end that make a real 20rd mag; if you load 10rd from one end and 10rd from the other, it works like two 10rd. :rolleyes:

Could you just cut the top part of a Saiga mag off, and attach it to a G3 mag (or any other 20 rd .308 mag) with its top off? Then you could have a 25 dollar 20 round mag. I know this wouldnt be too easy, but I would give it a try. Since you are trying to attach metal to plastc, a bolt on bracket would be the only way.....hmm.

Edited by CFII

All neat ideas for sure. As far as my conversion goes, I have the time conflict of being a full time student. When I have chunks of time away from school, then I'll be able to produce more.

Another fact about my mag conversion is that it does take quite a bit of work on the gun by the user. I won't touch another person's gun, only send a kit. While the skills required are distinctly different, I'd say converting a mag pales in comparison.

I think gun owners need to stick together at this time and support each other's innovations, so I'd be happy to see if you come up with something new in the way of mags, Cajun.

Has anyone tried actually cutting a G3 or other mag at the front right down the center (removing some material in the process), inserting a metal block to hold the square shape at the rear and bent the front inward and then weld it back together? Then you could just alter the floorplate and follwer accordingly and see if it functions.

I don't know what the other mags' dimensions are, but it seems like something that might work.

RooK, I've sandwiched mags before, sometimes altering both the front and rear dimensions, or only the front dimension. The method I used was just what you described, and worked well.

I'm currently working with the MG-13 magazine, as it is my favorite for conversions, as I like a heavy duty magazine. The front of the mag is the hardest part, without using a new front catch installed to the receiver. It's possible to shorten the MG-13, and use the receiver lip as the front catch. A feed ramp may be necessary much like the x39's & .223's.

I'm trying different mags to see which is the easiest to modify, and still have a functional magazine that you can depend on to work everytime.

I've also considered a magazine catch like the French MAS 49-56, that external on the right side of the magazine, and catches in a milled out place in the receiver. Then it would be just a matter of shaping the Magazine to feed properly, and fit snugly. I used this method on Metric FALs, for use in the Century converted .308 MAS 49/56's.

The Hakim modification to a MG-13 magazine required some Mag work that was simple, and a very light mod to the rifle mag well. The tough part on this modification or any modification with the MG-13 is grinding "horns" off the follower. Ole Hitler made them use some very hard steel. Their toughness is worth the trouble for such a tough magazine.

Will be working again this weekend to see what I can come up with. Cajun

I've found the easiest way to use the G-3 or FAL is by fabricating an Adapter, which is attached to the receiver with hardeded Machine Screws. The Magazine well extends below the receiver, and allows you to get the correct angle for flawless feeding. I opened up my receiver to within 1/16 inch of the side walls of the receiver. The magazine well is just tack welded in place until you determine the correct angle for flawless feeding, along with the correct height for the magazine. A mag catch/release like a M-16 will work fine. Even simplier, a Sten Gun Mag catch/release. Just design your mag well like a G-3, Cetme, or FAL, depending on the magazine you use. The angle will be a bit different as the unique way the Saiga magazine feeds.

I see that 20 rd. mags are now available from EAA or EEA, so this is the best way to go for people who don't like DIY projects, as an adapter does require quite a bit of modes to the receiver, along with fabricating the Magazine Adapter.

All I can say is get what you need ASAP, especially if Hanoi John wins the election. He burned POWs' in D.C., then again in Paris, and is responsible for unknown numbers of MIAs', now may be the next President. If this happens it will be a sad day for the USA, the U.S. Constitution, all Verterns, and all Gun Owners. Cajun