3 1/2" buchshot in an S12

Just wondering if anyone has tried shooting 3 1/2" out of their S12.

I accidently picked up a couple boxes. And didnt realize till I got home and saw the recipet for $30 for 3 5rd boxes.

I only have a couple buddies that shoot the 3 1/2" but they dont want it because it's #4B.

Anyways long story goes is I tried it out in the gun and it seats fine and ejects when the bolt is racked hard.

Would it be safe to shoot one or 2 rounds just for shits and giggles? Would the gun blow up in my face?

Thanks

AJ

Edited by killasoundz

Short reply, no. The forcing cone probably isn't long enough to handle the longer shell as it is fired. :killer:

Not taking into account what gas setting you would use. :unsure:

They usually stamp those "use 2-3/4" or 3" shells *ONLY*" warnings on the barrel there for a good reason. :cryss:

Not saying the Saiga-12 couldn't probably handle it. :up:

But it still is probably not a good idea though. :eek:

the extra length of the 3 1/2" shells is there to provide for more shot payload, and thus more weight, and as a result a much higher chamber pressure.

the saiga chamber probably will handle it fine, but being gas operated, will probably send that bolt carrier back just a TAD fast, and will probably damage the action or receiver of the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I would NOT assume that the Saiga-12 can handle it just fine. You're gambling against the longevity of the gun and your own health and safety. Not only does the 3.5" shell have higher pressures, but it will extend past the regular chamber and constrict the shot as it's being fired out. And NO this is NOT just what a choke does. When shot reaches a choke it has already built up a bit of velocity to pull through AND much of the powder is already burned.

Just because a gun doesn't blow up with the first few rounds doesn't mean it can be safely fired with them. DO NOT fire any more of these rounds out of your S-12.

I know what 3 1/2" out of my old mossy 835 does to me -vs- 2 3/4" or 3" buck.

I'd say it's got about 50% more wallop.

I agree with above^^^don't do it.

However if you do, set up a camcorder! :unsure: Ya know, just for $hits & giggles!

• 4 months later...

like i said, the barrel could probably handle it, but the rest of the gun I doubt could. I wouldnt try it unless someone GAVE me a gun to put in a vice and fire it with a string....a very long one at that.