File the Mag or Mag Catch?

I'm creeping closer to a conversion and was wondering if I should file down the bit on the mag that is too thick on standard AK mags, rather than filing down the catch. I don't see myself picking up mags from enemy soldiers anytime soon and a lot of the ranges I frequent don't allow more than 10 rounds anyway and I don't want the OEM Magazine to rattle around.

Anyone else take this route?

freebie from a dead enemy.

but zombies and democrats don't have guns.... :haha:

dems maybe not, but the next wave of zombies could be packing heat.

Ever see The Hills Have Eyes? :eek: ...or the aftermath of hurricane Katrina?

freebie from a dead enemy.

but zombies and democrats don't have guns.... :haha:

dems maybe not, but the next wave of zombies could be packing heat.

Ever see The Hills Have Eyes? :eek: ...or the aftermath of hurricane Katrina?

Ever since I joined the forum there has been an RV parked down at the end of our street. On the plate it says "only 1 of 1000" used.

Anyone know what that could mean?

louielouie :haha:

Edited by louielouie
Just mod the rifle catch. One-time deal. Then you can slap in any mag whether it's a $5-$10 gunshow special or freebie from a dead enemy.

I know we are talking about the Saiga 7.62 X 39 Rifle here, but it is rather awkward to get a file up in there and a Dremel runs the risk of cutting the face of the catch at an angle. What is your method?

I took a long screwdriver and held it perpendicular to the mag catch (to give me more area to hold), then I held the mag catch about halfway between "open" and "closed". used a chainsaw sharping stone, went slow (like speed 4 on the dremmel)

I took a long screwdriver and held it perpendicular to the mag catch (to give me more area to hold), then I held the mag catch about halfway between "open" and "closed". used a chainsaw sharping stone, went slow (like speed 4 on the dremmel)

scoutjoe,

I am being serious now.

I have a 2 speed Dremel. I don't have a chainsaw and I am not familiar to the sharpening stone you are referring to. Is it a Dremel attachment?

louielouie

scoutjoe,

I am being serious now.

I have a 2 speed Dremel. I don't have a chainsaw and I am not familiar to the sharpening stone you are referring to. Is it a Dremel attachment?

louielouie

so where exactly are we filing on the mag catch? anyone got any pics?

if you guys can hold off till tonight I can post some pictures but I'll try my best to describe it again

its a 7/32" chainsaw sharpening stone that I'm plugging into my dremmel, I run it about speed 4 (I have the battery dremmel which has 1-10). So try it on low speed on yours first. I file the part of the mag catch that is closest to the reciever. There should be a gap in there that you can get the stone into. Just remember to go slow, don't "hover" too long in any spots because you don't want a dip in it (if your going slow it shouldn't be a problem just keep moving back and forth, ie side to side on the mag catch). Check often with a metal mag then if you have a drum check it after you get the stick mag to fit (tabs seemed to be thicker on them

Hope that helps, if not pics are on the way tonight when i get home from work

go to the dremel display at home depot and look for the tiny diamond bits that the package says is ok for hardened steel. it's just a tiny steel rod that tapers to a point, about the size of a pencil lead, with a 1/3 of an inch rough patch (the diamond stuff) on the tip. costs about $8 bucks. this works great and is small enough to get into the space safely. it also helps to have someone hold the rifle upright for you, get very good light, and maybe borrow some reading glasses. and check the fit OFTEN. as previously stated, you can't put anything back !

Just mod the rifle catch. One-time deal. Then you can slap in any mag whether it's a $5-$10 gunshow special or freebie from a dead enemy.

I know we are talking about the Saiga 7.62 X 39 Rifle here, but it is rather awkward to get a file up in there and a Dremel runs the risk of cutting the face of the catch at an angle. What is your method?

I filed the catch with a needle file. I did exactly as scoutjoe said and propped it 1/2 way with a screw driver. It took about 20 minutes. I was going to attempt it with a dremel, but my dremel-fu isn't up to par.

You want to keep that whole surface parallel with the existing on, just remove enough to get them to click in. The first one I did like that I colored the bottom of the test mag catch with a sharpie so I could see where the rifle catch was rubbing it and the filed there, rechecked, etc, etc until it clicked in. Then check other mags to see if fit is the same and that they all click in.

post-1914-1186625848_thumb.jpg

its supposed to be pink..stupid flash

post-1914-1186625859_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1186625872_thumb.jpg

OK so I couldn't hold the camera and take a shot of me with the screwdriver and the dremel at the same time.

Disclaimer: I used a dremmel...if that goes too fast for you get a file and go slow. Just because I did it that way don't mean diddly so YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics - I dremeled mine this morning! Now, The AK mags are nice and tight, the Saiga original mag still fits (although a bit loose) and they both chamber rounds when I rack the slide with my hand. (It's raining so I can't go to the farm this weekend to test). Is there any reason I shouldn't use the original saiga mag also?

I have both a .223 and a x39. If I switch the mag catches, it would work out perfect. The wrong mags fit perfectly in the wrong guns. How would I go about Switching the mag catches????? Pop rivet?

They are fun to change out. You have to hold the spring in place while you replace the pin. This takes two people or 3 hands.

The pin is just peened in place, it can be driven out with a punch. When you're done swapping, just knock it back in and repeen it.

I have both a .223 and a x39. If I switch the mag catches, it would work out perfect. The wrong mags fit perfectly in the wrong guns. How would I go about Switching the mag catches????? Pop rivet?

They are fun to change out. You have to hold the spring in place while you replace the pin. This takes two people or 3 hands.

The pin is just peened in place, it can be driven out with a punch. When you're done swapping, just knock it back in and repeen it.

What is the best way to do this?

What is the best way to do this?

It's pretty easy to see how to do iit once you get it on the work bench. Be careful of the flying spring as you knock out the pin. Edited by nalioth
  • 5 months later...

Hey Nalioth,

What is your method for peening? The mag catch pin on my S-12 is loose and I'd like to get it to stay in better. Do you just pound on it with a ball peen hammer with a backing bar on the other side?

Thanks

Hey Nalioth,

What is your method for peening? The mag catch pin on my S-12 is loose and I'd like to get it to stay in better. Do you just pound on it with a ball peen hammer with a backing bar on the other side?

Thanks

Yep. I have a small steel block I use as an offset and I back up the pin with it (I usually stick some old worn out leather from the cheap gloves between the two metal parts). Gently peen the pin with the hammer.

You'll also want to make sure the pin is all the way in from the backside before you start peening, too.

Just for clarification... are you filing the part that moves ( the latch with the spring pushing on it) or are you filing the part of the receiver that the mag is wedged against?

You file the latch itself (the part that moves). Try locking in a 30 rounder, and you can see where you need to file, the top of the latch.

Just for clarification... are you filing the part that moves ( the latch with the spring pushing on it) or are you filing the part of the receiver that the mag is wedged against?

You file the latch itself (the part that moves). Try locking in a 30 rounder, and you can see where you need to file, the top of the latch.

I could sort of see what they were referring to in the picture with the red circling the area to file but not 100% sure? It is the part that sort of see-saws and you are filing the top of that part down? Is this correct?

I could sort of see what they were referring to in the picture with the red circling the area to file but not 100% sure? It is the part that sort of see-saws and you are filing the top of that part down? Is this correct?

Yeah, just make sure you go slow, and try to lock in a mag often to see if it fits.

The part that you push with your finger or thumb to release the magazine. The bottom is where you put your finger, the top is what snaps in behind the magazine locking tab and there is a pin in the middle for it to pivot upon.

The top part should be polished slowly (check often for mag fit) until your mags lock in.

galilbuild01_.jpg

The part that you push with your finger or thumb to release the magazine. The bottom is where you put your finger, the top is what snaps in behind the magazine locking tab and there is a pin in the middle for it to pivot upon.

The top part should be polished slowly (check often for mag fit) until your mags lock in.

galilbuild01_.jpg

Very good, thanks for the response. Now, where is one of the better places to buy mags online and what kind (brand, type, etc..) should I buy?

Very good, thanks for the response. Now, where is one of the better places to buy mags online and what kind (brand, type, etc..) should I buy?

If you buy by "brand", you may end up with a POS US made 'thing'.

Buy military surplus mags from former communist countries. Any milsurp mag will work fine.

Current production Bulgarian polymer waffle mags work great, too.

galilbuild01_.jpg

So from what I understand, the AK mags. have a thicker stud sticking out of the back and that is why you have to file some off of the catch to have them fit? Is this correct? I only have two Surefire mags that I bought the other day (before finding this forum) and have never actually looked at an AK mag, nor compared the two side by side to see the differences.