Anybody Weld On Ghost Rings to Dust Covers?

Hello

I'm seeking a rear sight to match a Krebs clamp-on S12 front sight. I'm thinking the ghost-ring type (HK?) that Tony installs might be the best way to go. I'm probably going to use my existing rear sight base for a rail mount, I'm hoping to set up some BUIS that will be tall enough to clear the mounted rail.

Anybody know of a source to get a rear sight welded to the dust cover? And a source to purchase the HK-type rear sight?

Does this sound like a rational way to go with it?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated....

guido2 in Houiston

• 1 month later...

I don't personally see the point in ghost rings, but will the standard sights get in the way? I wonder about welding a set of fixed sights over having a rear sight you can adjust.

I prefer the Saiga rear blades to the SKS, the notch is much more prominent. Don't have to rely on flash sight pictures so miuch at close range...

I have no idea how it matches to the front sight for elevation. But the parts can be had http://www.robertrtg.com/g3rearsight.htm

Or as I posted in another thread. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=16767.0

The home made sight base is a nice one. I prefer it to the HK sight, I would take the CETME sight over the HK one if I could get one to weld to my top cover.

I made a fixed aperture sight with protective ears which had to be cut away to allow using the side rail ComBloc scope so mine looks like a fixed FAL sight. I found the aperture location by using a small laser aimed thru the factory sights. I used screws to hold it while I test fired the rifle and later I had the sight base welded to the top cover.