i received this mail from IZHMASH today

Thank you for your interest in our products. The saiga M series could be available later in the year. We have submitted the paperwork to bring them into the country and are awaiting approval. When they become available I will post them on our web site. It is usually about 4 months between approval and the arrival of any rifles.

Clyde Woods

Sales & Marketing

Russian American Armory Company

http://www.izhmash.ru/pix/saiga_m_g.jpg = shows photo

cheers,

hoke

• 6 years later...

Ancient thread, but does anyone have one of these?

Getting some photos emailed to me later.......someone is offering a trade for my sons .410

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/89758-wtt-saiga-410/

Looks to be "converted trigger group"?

Does it have a bullet guide, etc?

Found this photo on the internet......this is how he described it to me.....

post-22193-0-51878500-1377873437.jpg

Edited by Saiga Power

Nope. You buy the kit, and drill and tap the hole in front of the chamber, then use some loctite on the threads of the screw, and simply screw it down. Care must be used though when tapping. Go slow, and blow out the debris often so it dont bind the tap. It can be done in under an hour if you never done one.

The good thing about the guide is that it will feed standard AK mags, but you will have file the catch down, and then mod the mags that have a built in bullet guide. Its not hard at all to do that. I have a thread here in the Vepr 5.45 section that gives you a great idea of how much material to remove from the mags that have a built in guide.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80377-vepr-545-closer-look/

Theres some good info in this if you need it.

• Like 1

I have one. Its really nice. Wood is kinda semi-finished. Could use a coat of something to seal it. I started a refinish project on mine.

Converting is as simple as adding a bullet guide, and filing the mag catch. As always, file the catch to accept a comblock stel mag, then file other mags to fit that. Tapcos can be a tight fit. Watch your 922r count.

Its a great shooter, but the trigger is pretty miserable. Random break point, gritty, even after a few hundred rounds. Changing the FCG is not easy because the safety lever cant be removed. You can see this in your first pic, the part of the safety lever inside the receiver has a wide 'tail' that extends down, when you rotate the safety lever to remove it, that contacts the rear of the FCG, making removal imposible. Someone more knowledgable than me could probably file/dremel something back there, but im afraid to mess with it. I may end up having a smith install a Red Star arms FCG for me, because i really wanna see what it will do with a good trigger.

You better be happy with the wood, because converting the rear is difficult. One poster here tried a Vepr adapter, but the angle was wrong. I have a TAKD ace block adapter that I relieved to fit the tang. TAKD also has an AR adapter plate that also allows the tang to not be cut, thats next on my list. When put on the rifle it covers the slant cut, and is black-on-black, so doesnt look bad. But the screw doesnt go all the way down on mine, so it needs some fitting.

I have a weaver 2-10x56 that I really want on this thing, but it desperately needs a cheek riser. I didnt wanna cut the wood, so I wont stop til I get an AR stock on there smile.png

The thing is heavy, and wood is not as nice as the Vepr, and build quality not as nice as the vepr (but nice), and aftermarket isnt as nice as the vepr (non-existent). But a vepr is $600 and this cost me $430. If centerfire still had $500 veprs, no contest, but if you can get an M series at a good price, its a really good gun. I have a similar bipod mounted like the one pictured, works great.

Mine is NOT threaded under sight block. You will most likely need a new FSB to get a flash hider there. Also, the leaf sight is 300m, you may wanna eventually get a 1000m leaf.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1