Top cover velocity

I have a 16 inch barreled Saiga 308 and have been experiencing the top cover over the receiver ejecting to the rear and striking the shooter in the head. It usually happens once or twice in a magazine load of cartridges. When I replace the top cover and slam the bolt to the rear as hard as I can, it happens less frequently than when I just replace the top cover. The take down button protrudes further to the rear after I slam the bolt back two or three times. I ensure the front of the top cover is in the groove at the front of the receiver.

Any ideas how to fix this? I am starting to flinch when I shoot this neat little rifle.

I have a chronograph and could measure the velocity of the receiver top cover as it flies to the rear, but if someone here has already done it, I will accept their velocity figure as representative. :)

Yes, I am new here. Alleycat was my mission name when flying over Laos in the late 60s during the Vietnam war. We worked at night. :)

Edited by Alleycat

I have a couple of the 308 Saigas and I never experienced that problem. I would guess that the hole in the cover is a bit off and not letting the "push button" come all the way back. I would try pushing it in and checking for any binding, then open the hole up with a fine file till it fits just right without binding. If it comes most of the way back now, it should'nt take much to get the proper relief. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed EAA and they said to ship the rifle back to them for repair. I will take a close look at the button that holds the cover on the receiver and see whether it is binding due to being a tad off. It makes sense to file the square hole a bit. I have found almost no one having this problem. Most folks are quite happy with their SAIGA .308. I wish I had the longer barrel though as the blast and fire ball are impressive on this short one. :angel:

Edited by Alleycat
  • 1 month later...

I had the same thing happen to me,first shot from my saiga .308,I was using handloads so there`s always that feeling of doom.........then pwammmm! the top cover comes flying off.Freaked me out big time,I thought I had a KB.put it back on and everything was fine for 20 or so rounds then it happened again.I learned that when you put the top cover on you have to insure that the latch is fully extended,the other AK`s I`ve had just snapped in place,no problems ever. The .308 seems to be a bit tricky,when you put the cover on,the latch will protrude from the hole like it`s supposed to,but if you give it a good whack with the heel of your hand the latch will stick out about 1/16" further and the top cover will not come flying off.Havent had any problems since I figured this out,it just needs a little more influence to latch securely than the other AK`s do.

Bossman

• 2 months later...
:rolleyes: I did not mail my SAIGA back to EAA. I saw a 12 guage version at the local gun store and it had a verticle button on the top of the take down button. A fine solution to retaining the top cover. So... I took a #29 wire drill and drilled a hole through the button, tapped it with a 8-32 tap and screwed a hex end bolt into the take down button. I used my Dremel to relieve the clearance between the top cover and the new button retainer. It looks good and I will try it tomorrow. I use a piece of duct tape to hold the Allen wrench and a spare tiny bolt to the side of the butt. I think this will work.

:super: I took the rifle out for a spin and the home made fix worked just fine. No cover flying off. The rifle digested two different brands of ammo - Hertenberger and PMP. Fun to shoot. I was breaking rocks at 105 meters with the rifle. Only issue now is the sights were off a bit for my eyes. I will do the math and then adjust the front sight to shift the group to center from about five inches high and five inches right. There was a fellow there who had a Krebs modified Saiga in 7.62X39 and he offered to loan me his sight adjusting tool. He was using it himself to sight in his rifle. I have one here in the house and the dial micrometer needed to measure the distance I move the front sight. Probably get it done tomorrow after church.

I was using a Merit Sight Disk to sight through so I could see the rear sight. Without it I would have been unable to obtain a sharp sight picture.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...