Just a quick update for anyone interested:

Everything's going fine for current orders except that everything's taking much longer than expected. This is due to stocks themselves taking longer to make as well as many interruptions in my schedule. The stocks themselves are coming along smoothly, just slowly.

In order to prevent such a backlog in the future, I'm suspending taking new orders until 2008. In this time I will be finishing custom orders due or overdue, (none were originally estimated to be done later than September), and in whatever time is left I will be working on some ready-made furniture. Hopefully the availability of ready-made furniture and some time to clear out the current custom orders will bring lead times to something I don't have to constantly apologize for. I've developed enough designs and used enough woods that I'm starting to get an idea of what is popular enough to stock... provided I have time to make it.

Feedback I've gotten is that many people think my prices are far lower than they would expect, at which I'm honored. There are only three ways in which prices will be raised in the near future.

1. Base prices will be raised a total of $10 per set, but the first level of wood upgrade will be incorporated into the new base price. So if you're getting a maple or mahogany set, both woods that I'm finding very agreeable in manufacturing ease and resulting quality, nothing will change.

2. Some options are being repriced, mainly wood choices.

3. Some of my ready-made items will be loaded with options and priced accordingly.

I thought that I could fit in expedited orders by taking them individually for a fee, but with only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week, and the belief that expediting fees don't justify bumping other orders back, that's just not feasible (all expediting fees have been credited back towards the purchase price). So those willing to pay extra for something done sooner will hopefully be served with option-loaded ready-made sets. Custom orders may begin to have a substantially longer lead time estimated from the start. I've tried to be careful and say that an estimated delivery time is just an estimate, but when I'm almost always wrong something has to change.

Also, in order to avoid taking up forum bandwidth, and since I finally learned to use my E-mail list feature, I'm going to start an E-mail list to which people can subscribe. So if you want updates on how things are going, what's new, answers to FAQs, and such, please send an E-mail to my screenname at hotmail with the subject "BR Subscribe Me". I will probably not read the text. Just a warning that there may be moderately sized attachments sent via this E-mail list.

Other assorted bits of news:

I'm wrapping up my use of walnut and spanish cedar wood. While I consider their strength acceptable for gunstocks, I don't feel that the resulting quality is worth the price of the wood and work. Many other excellent woods are available, and I frequently try out new ones.

My most popular woods seem to be red oak, honduran mahogany, and jatoba.

I have no clue if I will ever get the mag adaptors ready for sale. I'm at full capacity doing furniture orders and that's something I'm sticking with as long as people want it. But aside from time, there's nothing preventing me from making the adaptors.

I can currently model furniture for any stamped AK in the US with the exception of Krinkovs, VEPRs and angle-cut AKMs. The exceptions could be made using buyer supplied dimensions and some final fitting required.

Items for future development include one piece AKM and Saiga style handguards for AMD rifles and pistols.

All grip styles can now have the option of a medium width ferrule.

I'm seriously considering BobAsh's suggestion of "Fidoglass" as a novelty that would actually be pretty practical.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.