Are Saiga 12 AOW's possible? I'm pretty sure AOW's need to be made from a virgin receiver or a factory pistol gripped shotgun. Has anyone produced a USA made Saiga 12 receiver?

FYI No SBS's in my state, only AOW's. That's why I'm asking.

Yea, the shotgun has to be manufactured as an AOW. The $200 tax gets paid by the manufacturer and evey transfer after that is $5.

Remington makes an AOW pump shot gun based on he 870 but they don't sell it to civilians. I don't know how to find it on their site but I have seen it.

As far as I know you can't make an AOW out of a pre-existing shot gun. But you could get like a T/C pistol, form 1 it and stick say a choped down 20ga barrel on there. It wouldn't be an auto loader but you would have your AOW.

Now maybe if some one like Tromix could clone a sagia, make the main parts from scrach into an AOW then maybe.

The $200 tax gets paid by the manufacturer and evey transfer after that is $5.
The license the manufacturer has allows them to make as many NFA weapons as they want to. They don't pay anything 'per item'. If you want one, transfer fees for AOW are $5 and $200 for SBS/SBR.
Saiga would have to manufacture a weapon as an AOW for it to qualify. You as an individual cannot make your own into an AOW. You could however make your own into a SBS but you have to pay the $200 tax stamp.

And he'd have to move out of state.

Short answer is ... No. Never heard of anyone doing it. I'm no gunsmith either.

So, seems like the way to geterdone would be to:

Study your existing shotty and decide if a build where you took all the parts off the Saiga and installed them into a virgin reciever/unbent flat(?) would be possible.

OR

Challenge a "artistic" gunsmith with the above. If you look at all the stuff tromix did before he got into the saiga buisness, I'd say he's a the type of gun smith you are talking about. I don't know if he still takes on the "exotic challenges" any longer, or if this would be of interest to him. If not him, maybe others know of "adventuresome gunplumbers"?

GL.

Are Saiga 12 AOW's possible? I'm pretty sure AOW's need to be made from a virgin receiver or a factory pistol gripped shotgun. Has anyone produced a USA made Saiga 12 receiver?

FYI No SBS's in my state, only AOW's. That's why I'm asking.

i'm still learning our acronyms...

pray tell... what is AOW?

Here's a quick primer ... from the web.

An AOW is:

"...any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the

person from which a shot can be discharged through the

energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a smooth

bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell,

weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12" or

more, less than 18" in length, from which only a single

discharge can be made from either barrel without manual

reloading, and shall include any weapon which may be readily

restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or

revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons

designed, made or intended to be fired from the shoulder and

not capable of firing fixed ammunition." 26 U.S.C. sec.

5845(e).