What do you all think is the best Ammo for defense

I am interested in buying 500 or 1000 rounds maybe more of either 00 buck or #1 2 3/4 shot shells. What do you all find in the most cost effective but at the same time the best "bang for the buck" I want to use them for home defense as well as blowing up things at the range and I also want to use them in my new

20 round magazine when it arrives in october or november. Does anyone have there choices? Im not sure what is the best way to go could use some help. I am new to shotguns. I am more familiar with pistol ammo,any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Ken

I am interested in buying 500 or 1000 rounds maybe more of either 00 buck or #1 2 3/4 shot shells. What do you all find in the most cost effective but at the same time the best "bang for the buck" I want to use them for home defense as well as blowing up things at the range and I also want to use them in my new

20 round magazine when it arrives in october or november. Does anyone have there choices? Im not sure what is the best way to go could use some help. I am new to shotguns. I am more familiar with pistol ammo,any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Ken

if you dig a couple months back...

boxoftruth.com i think is the name... tested and showed that #4 was good

it was posted here anyhow

it convinced me... but i'm only 1 opinion

My cop friend now carries some junk called poly shot which is supposed to perform well on human flesh but not go through barriers to injure bystanders. Damn bystanders. Buckshot loads will go through walls and maybe injure johnny and janie in there beds. #2 and #3 has plenty of pellets and less mass to pass through barriers. At hallway distances I wouldn't want to get shot with anything out of a shotgun. I've always wondered what 7.5 would do to flesh at point blank range but that's obviously too small for real world. Ernest says EEWWEWEWWEEWW

Edited by EZDontLeadEmAsMuch
My cop friend now carries some junk called poly shot which is supposed to perform well on human flesh but not go through barriers to injure bystanders. Damn bystanders. Buckshot loads will go through walls and maybe injure johnny and janie in there beds. #2 and #3 has plenty of pellets and less mass to pass through barriers. At hallway distances I wouldn't want to get shot with anything out of a shotgun. I've always wondered what 7.5 would do to flesh at point blank range but that's obviously too small for real world. Ernest says EEWWEWEWWEEWW

that is what the boxotruth was talking about

lol... i wanted to use flechettes on a scumbag

Any buckshot is dangerous in a house, I'd use birdshot. It maintains a very small spread at short distances (duh), doesn't like to penetrate many walls, and any ricochets are patheticly weak. I'd still keep buck on hand, because beyond 70 feet birdshot isn't going to do anything.

Any buckshot is dangerous in a house, I'd use birdshot. It maintains a very small spread at short distances (duh), doesn't like to penetrate many walls, and any ricochets are patheticly weak. I'd still keep buck on hand, because beyond 70 feet birdshot isn't going to do anything.

i took a 00buck ball ricochet to my shin bone... smarted a bit... left a dent in the skin too

that would be magnified indoors... as i was outdoors and at 50feet away

For home defense, I'd say the underpowered tac loads the police are issued would be the ticket. Both Buck and slug. I think I heard that #4 buck was thier choice, but check it out. Rational is that it has plenty of power and penetration, but allows faster follow up shots.

I always vote against birdshot. I'm sure it will kill, but you are more interested in instant incapacitation (you should only be shooting to stop a threat, imo). You will stop more constistently with penetration. Heavy leather jacket, 350 lb attacker, side shot thru the arm, penetration helps in a multitude in situations.

If you have kids, you might rethink. My choice is an AR because of the kids. But that's a discussion for another day.

Do research, I wouldn't trust me or anyone elses single opinion. But the LEO and military groups have vetted a lot of ideas (and always seem to be evolving). Currently the typical entry weapon is a short ar. But I'd add that being comfortable with a firearm is likely the single most important decision, so choose what you shoot best, and train into the firearm you think would be best. Make sense?

i took a 00buck ball ricochet to my shin bone... smarted a bit... left a dent in the skin too

that would be magnified indoors... as i was outdoors and at 50feet away

Yeah I meant birdshot ricochets don't hurt, buck hurts as much as you'd think it would. Especially because of the deformation of the pellets, giving them sharp edges. Birdshot ricochets from 20 feet feel literally like a bug bouncing off of you, like a housefly just bumping into you.

Based on research (I can get you the links if you want) #1 buck is the best anti-personnel load. It penetrates the recommended 12" in calibrated, cloth covered gelatin. It has greater cross sectional density than 00 buck, and hit probability goes way up with 16 projectiles vs. 9.

The home defense challenge is that any weapon/load that will penetrate 12" to reach a vital organ for instant stop on a zombie will also penetrate interior walls.

Many LEO's are now using fragmentation rounds. They are similar to "door busters" or Hatton rounds. They are essentially sintered metal that is held together with wax. They fire as a slug, so you have to aim. When they strike an object the full energy is dumped into the target and it does massive damage. If you miss and hit a wall, it will put a huge hole in the wall but the impact disperses the sintered metal and everything beyond the wall (your kids, etc) is safe.

I've seen videos of rounds blowing a hole through a door with a balloon 10 feet behind it remaining intact.

Bird shot is for birds, it will make nasty, shallow wound, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Hell, i use 00buck exclusively...i may want to shoot thru a wall/door to get to the armed scumbag that just snuck in to my house in the middle of the night to do harm to me and the wifey.Ive narrowed my buckshot loads down to two for price and dependability... 2 3/4" Wolf 00buck,its dependable and as cheap as it gets.The only thing is you will have to wait on Mikes 3" drum version for them to work,they are a bit longer.Federal buckshot will work in the 2 3/4" drum..good stuff but a bit more price wise.Theres others that are good but these are what im sticking to.

Sellier and Bellot #4 buckshot for me with spare mags of OO Sellier and Bellot buckshot.

Me too.................. (Thinking about adding some of that new Federal 00 to the mix, though...................Tight like the Speers........a little pricier.....)

Edited by Jeaux E

I recommend everyone read this article on defense ammunition for shotguns.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

12 Gauge Shotshell Ammunition

For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

What ever you decide to get make sure it works 100 per cent in your gun. A manually operated gun can shoot everything but a semi is limited somewhat. My choice is 00 buck. Its a proven load. The feds tried the #4 buck load for a time but penetration was too shallow beyond about 15 yards and it was soon dropped. The tactical low recoil 00 is what I have in my home defense gun. Tight patterns and good control. As with any load, hit the center of mass and overpenetration shouldnt be a problem. Picture this: your mother/wife/ daughter/girlfriend calls you and says a guy broke into the house. She asks what ammo to load the shotgun with. Are you going to say skeet loads? I dont think so. Other loads MAY be good but the track record of 00 is a known quanity. Just my .02.

2 3/4" Wolf 00buck,its dependable and as cheap as it gets.

Pointer, have you noticed any inconsistencies with the Wolf 00 buck? I bought a bunch of it and noticed my first trip to the range that about 1 in 5 or 6 rounds had a distinctly different report than the rest. The recoil and patterns seemed to be the same, but some rounds made a much, much deeper 'boom' than the rest. The amount of muzzle flash seemed to be different, too.

I'm curious to know if you (or anyone else) has encountered that...

2 3/4" Wolf 00buck,its dependable and as cheap as it gets.

Pointer, have you noticed any inconsistencies with the Wolf 00 buck? I bought a bunch of it and noticed my first trip to the range that about 1 in 5 or 6 rounds had a distinctly different report than the rest. The recoil and patterns seemed to be the same, but some rounds made a much, much deeper 'boom' than the rest. The amount of muzzle flash seemed to be different, too.

I'm curious to know if you (or anyone else) has encountered that...

I cant say i have noticed,altho im using shells that i had bought in bulk(800rds) about 4-5 years ago.I did buy another 300rds about 6 months ago but havent been into that .

All I can add for sure is I would never recommend birdshot for anti-personnell use.

I have personally treated patients with birdshot GSWs, and all you get is a messy, shallow crater. Sure looked like it hurt like hell but my x-rays revealed there to be no penetration deeper than about 2-3". Fella did manage to catch a few in the eyesocket though, so I guess birdshot will work if you just wanna blind em.

Side note: Sportsman's Guide has 250rds of Nobel Sport 00BK for $97. Cheaper than Wolf.

All I can add for sure is I would never recommend birdshot for anti-personnell use.

I have personally treated patients with birdshot GSWs, and all you get is a messy, shallow crater. Sure looked like it hurt like hell but my x-rays revealed there to be no penetration deeper than about 2-3". Fella did manage to catch a few in the eyesocket though, so I guess birdshot will work if you just wanna blind em.

Side note: Sportsman's Guide has 250rds of Nobel Sport 00BK for $97. Cheaper than Wolf.

Thanks very much to all REALLY I appreciate it. I will try a few and do some more reading.I picked up Nobel LE OObuck 250 rds for 89.50$$ and Sellier & belliot 00buck for 89.50 shipping on each was only 14 dollars so it was like 41 cents each round. Not bad.Also picked up #4 shot 250 rds for 87.50 -14$ shipping I also am bidding on some others but I am still waiting on my conversion so I have a little time. The way this ammo is going up I dont think I will get stuck with anything at all if I dont like it. The winchesters and Federal brands are about 65 cents a round not sure why I should pay the difference.

Thanks again

Ken

That Nobel Sport wont work in Mikes 2 3/4" drum,its even longer than Wolf..ya gonna have to wait on the 3 incher.In not sure about the S&B size,but im bettin its about the length of Wolf or Noble Sport.Can anybody do a comparision with some Fed or Rem 2 3/4'? I havent bought any S&B

Edited by Pointer
That Nobel Sport wont work in Mikes 2 3/4" drum,its even longer than Wolf..ya gonna have to wait on the 3 incher.In not sure about the S&B size,but im bettin its about the length of Wolf or Noble Sport.Can anybody do a comparision with some Fed or Rem 2 3/4'? I havent bought any S&B

Does it work in the 10 round mags? I hope so.......

Hey can someone tell me which Loads will work with Mikes 20 rd 2 3/4 drum? Im sure its not the cheaper ones never happens to me that way(grin) But I would be interested in which ones work.

Thanks again

Hey can someone tell me which Loads will work with Mikes 20 rd 2 3/4 drum? Im sure its not the cheaper ones never happens to me that way(grin) But I would be interested in which ones work.

Thanks again

10 round mags are 3 inch compatable, so no issues.

Someone should start a chart on these shells, but the truth is the only one it REALLY affects is a shotgun that had 2 3/4 in capacity (USAS 12, knoxx?, others? and possibly the WM and Mikes).

I'll say this, I'll commit to postinig info on any shells that won't work in the WM and Mikes when I get one. But I will begin reloading soon and mostly shoot birdshot, so I don't know how much info I have to offer.

Edited by kmoore

Yes,they will work in the 10rd mags.Mikes explained this in his main threads that there are differances in the lengths of shotshells.Most US 2 3/4" like Fed,Rem,Win should work in the 2 3/4" drum...most of the overseas clear rolled crimped stuff like Wolf and Noble are a bit longer and will work in the 3'' designed drum.