Saiga 12 magazine issue on wiki

I was reading about the saiga 12 on wikipedia and it said that leaving 12ga shells in the mags for a few days will cause the shells mouth to turn into an oval and will cause a failure to feed.

Is this true? Have any of you had this happen?

I was reading about the saiga 12 on wikipedia and it said that leaving 12ga shells in the mags for a few days will cause the shells mouth to turn into an oval and will cause a failure to feed.

Is this true? Have any of you had this happen?

they left out the "on a closed bolt" part

Yes

LOFL !!!!! I love it !!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

just gotta love the blunt to the point directness

Aw, Mc............Tony's not really blunt........He's just really concise when he replies!! If you could just get that from everyone, wow............. :smoke:

that's what i mean by blunt... say it like it is... concise

went to wiki and changed the wording to

Ammunition left in loaded magazines will acquire a oval shape caused by the magazine spring squeezing the shells together in the magazine. This will cause a failure to feed if shotgun shells are left in a loaded magazine inserted into a closed bolt shotgun for more than a few days.

Just out of curiosity, I know Silver Bear isn't exactly the healthiest ammo for your receiver to shoot, but does it offer a fix for this problem? In theory, you could leave a silver bear at the top of a magazine you wanted to keep in the gun, and the metal hull shouldn't deform under stress, could you not? This is, of course, after you have field-tested the functionality of chambering, firing and ejecting metal shells in your gun.

Slugs, being solid don't deform like shot. However if stored in the mag unnder the bolt in HOT (car) places the plastic itself may flatten some.

The steel hulls from Barnul/bear don't have this problem. HOWEVER steel hulls are fragile at the mouth of the shell and will bend/dent if dropped or banged around-not suitable for bandoliers!

Does this still apply if your mag is loaded with slugs?

Seems like someone reported a problem with slugs a little while back ... which did surprise me. IIRC, the slug was recessed in the shell, the only the end plastic deformed, but that was enough to fail to chamber.

So, like was said, try it with the rounds that you would like to use, then you'll know.

I don't know how long it a sufficient period. i.e. if it's ever going to flatten, then it'll happen in XX days.

Maybe I'll have to test this again ...