Just to go back to your list of MBR; my 16" Saiga shoots every bit as good as my CETME's, G3, M14.. don't have a FAL to compare.

My 21" Saiganov with scope does just that little bit better than the others, but they have open sights so how do you compare?

Once you get out to 200 yds you are dealing with a lot of other variables beside the rifle.

And to the mention of bedding a K31.. everyone I have seen or shot does a lot better when the barrel is free floated; my K1911 tightened up considerably when I relieved the stock off the barrel.

I love my Sako M39 but with the Straight-bolt and the lack of a non-tap scope mount, it has it's limitations. But the ammo is cheap and i've never had a problem. After about 100 rnds through it at the range there's some fouling and I sometimes have to run the cleaning rod through it to clear out any debris. Oh and I wouldn't carry it around on a hike, the damn thing weighs a TON. BUT for the money and with the ammo so available, it's a sweet gun. You can add a side scope to the receiver and either get a bent bolt or cut the bolt and add an adapter to allow it to cycle with a scope on... I Just can't bring myself to desecrating the 64 year old girl.

And to the mention of bedding a K31.. everyone I have seen or shot does a lot better when the barrel is free floated; my K1911 tightened up considerably when I relieved the stock off the barrel.

I've seen improved results both ways, but when I say bedding of an older bolt action I mean all along it's length (not just the lug and action). Maybe a free floated K31 with minimal bedding around the action would be the best combo. For any improvement you pretty much have to bed in the whole bbl for consistency or eliminate all obstructions (free float it). Two ways of skinning a cat. Might be fun to see which has better results since the guns are relatively inexpensive.

My biggest issue with the Mosin and Enfield is that I'm a lefty. They are really designed for righties. It's not just cycling the bolt; it's the bolt traveling over your left hand as it pulls back. I'd have to reach over the top with my left hand and operate the bolt. I'd rather use an SKS.

And I bought my Sako M39 for $120.

Anytime recently? If so, where'd you get it. Thx.

Unfortunately it was a couple years ago. I was in a little hole-in-the-wall gunshop in Largo, Fl. They had a few M39's and I picked the one with the smoothest bolt... only later did I figure out it was a SAKO :)