Just bought a Norinco Hunter

I've been meaning to buy another Saiga x39, but I just happened to see a Norinco Hunter on auction ( $385.00, VGC.) and I bought it on impulse. I've heard some pretty good things about this gun, and I just clicked on the BUY IT NOW button before I could stop myself. :rolleyes:

Anybody here have one of these? I plan to keep it in sporter style, so conversion isn't an issue. How does this rifle compare to a Saiga?

From what I hear they're great, but the trigger angle feels a little weird until you get used to it. I've seen someone do a Galil style conversion with one of those since the upward slope of the receiver in front of the magazine gives it a similar profile to the Galil. It's cool to have a Galil in 7.62x39, but keeping git in the original configuration should still be fine.

Congreats dude, that's a good deal.

Had one when thry first came out. Worked ok but wasnt very accurate with the Chinese ammo. Manual said expect 7 inch groups at 100 meters. They were right. Never tried premium ammo so it might be more accurate with that. The scope mount was a stamped piece of crap that screwed to the reciever. Came loose every 3 shots. Didnt have a side mount so I had one installed. Still got the same groups at 100 with the scope. Nice looking gun, though. Looks like a mini BAR.

Do you mean it was screwed to the receiver cover? Cause that's what I got. :lolol: It looks good, but it might be a problem if I want to actually hit anything.

I've heard that it's luck of the draw with these guns - some are super accurate and some are so-so. I guess I'll be finding out which one mine is pretty soon.

Had one when thry first came out. Worked ok but wasnt very accurate with the Chinese ammo. Manual said expect 7 inch groups at 100 meters. They were right. Never tried premium ammo so it might be more accurate with that. The scope mount was a stamped piece of crap that screwed to the reciever. Came loose every 3 shots. Didnt have a side mount so I had one installed. Still got the same groups at 100 with the scope. Nice looking gun, though. Looks like a mini BAR.

That sounds about the same as the accuracy I used to get out of my MAK90. I know the Chinese guns have a great reputation, but I'm definitely underwhelmed by them. Personally I'd get a WASR10 before I got another Norinco.

I been shooting a chinese Hunter for a couple years (approx. 600rds.) I'd buy another--right time,right price! It took a couple hundred rds.throught it before I could depend on the trigger returning forward on its own.They were made with at least four different types of sights arrangments--my flip-up leaf rear had to be cut-loose from the dovetail & re-welded to the right to get the front post centered satisfactory. Solid milled receiver,long barrel,takes all reg.ak mags & drums---do a 922r with RedStar adj. trigger group,Tapco piston,& pistolgrip of your choice / double-couple some 30rd.mags---plenty of firepower to make your vote count!---- Accuracy : Bowling pins at 100yds. / Clay birds at 100yds.----Wham, Bam,-Thank You, Mam!

The only problem I've had with mine is the sights. I have one with the flip up sight. It came perfectly zeroed. Golden Tiger 124gr gives a bit better than typical AK accuracy. Handloads were better - 1/4 inch at 25 yards. The sights are a real handicap. The trigger is light but gritty. If Krebs ever got around to selling that rail that goes over the receiver cover and locks in at the back (I think it includes an AR type sight at the rear), I wouldn't hesitate to it on there.

"Solid milled receiver,long barrel,takes all reg.ak mags & drums---do a 922r with RedStar adj. trigger group,Tapco piston,& pistolgrip of your choice / double-couple some 30rd.mags---plenty of firepower to make your vote count!" - john762

Okay, I hate to ask another 922r question, but I guess you're saying that I have to do the identical thing with this gun that I would have to do with my Saiga to make it compliant. Does that mean that these guns are post-ban? I thought I heard that some are pre-ban. Is that true? Would I still have to switch out foreign parts on a pre-ban gun, or would it be exempt?

"Solid milled receiver,long barrel,takes all reg.ak mags & drums---do a 922r with RedStar adj. trigger group,Tapco piston,& pistolgrip of your choice / double-couple some 30rd.mags---plenty of firepower to make your vote count!" - john762

Okay, I hate to ask another 922r question, but I guess you're saying that I have to do the identical thing with this gun that I would have to do with my Saiga to make it compliant. Does that mean that these guns are post-ban? I thought I heard that some are pre-ban. Is that true? Would I still have to switch out foreign parts on a pre-ban gun, or would it be exempt?

I believe that 922r was before any concepts of "pre- or post" and applies to all foreign imports. Both the Hunter & the saigas are complient in their stock imported configerations.Adding an "evil feature" such as a pistop grip to either and 922r needs to be considered.The Hunter was approved as "suitabe for sporting purposes" & was imported with the ability to accept all standard ak-type mags. The saigas were import approved with 10 or less round mag ability-- does using a larger than 10rd mag justify a 922r consideration? Some say yes / some say no---Congradulations on your impulse to "GET IT"! The milled receiver gives a totally different "feel",than a stamped-type receiver.
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to have one, and I regret selling it. Mine was doing 3" groups with Russian surplus ammo (the little white box stuff) & iron sights. The awkward trigger was already broken in I guess, because it felt fine. The generic flip sight was actually very good to me at 200yds. I bet it was a 2.5" rifle or better--if I had tried more ammo or mounted a scope.

The main negative with my rifle was that when hot, it would toss out some 2-3 round bursts. I've heard later that it may be due to something about Chinese firing pins when dirty. I don't know if that applied to my rifle or not.

Good luck, sounds like a good purchase to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Anybody here have one of these?

I just purchased one myself and am awaiting it to arrive. Glad to see some discussion on conversion involving it. Any updates from anyone here along those lines? Also, can anyone put up an image of the rifle without the front handguard on? I am curious what the gas tube retainer looks like. Is it it typical milled AK & just hidden?

Edited by red_metallic
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice looking rifle, I've heard of them - but why would I want to spend ~ $400 instead of just getting a new Saiga for $250 - $300?

You might not, but someone wanting a Galil clone w/o paying the "Galil" money might...

dcp01579rx5.jpgCIMG0023-1.jpg

The Norinco Hunter is a copy of the Valmet Hunter.

Valmet worked with Israel and produced the first Galil receivers for them, until they could get their own production facilities going.

The receivers are very very similar.

Edited by nalioth
  • 11 months later...