How do you say it?

Hello, saoirse

Apparently, the makers of these fine weapons pronounce it "Sie-ga" ("Sie" rhymes with "pie") as opposed to "Say-ga" which is fairly common here in the States.

I'm thinking the manufacturers know best!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

I say Saiga myself. But i've heard it pronounced Saiga by others.

LOL

What does it matter? I've heard it pronounced different ways, all by people who knew alot about the rifles. I find that only a snob-nosed gun-elitist would correct you on your pronunciation of a foreign word.

But in all seriousness I'm pretty sure the correct pronunciation is ZeyeGuh. NOT SEGA.

I say Saiga myself. But i've heard it pronounced Saiga by others.

LOL

What does it matter? I've heard it pronounced different ways, all by people who knew alot about the rifles. I find that only a snob-nosed gun-elitist would correct you on your pronunciation of a foreign word.

But in all seriousness I'm pretty sure the correct pronunciation is ZeyeGuh. NOT SEGA.

I used to work at a plant nursery. If they know what you're talking about when you're done talking, you said it good enough.

figures I'd get knocked down by Briarious :cryss:

and speaking of Masamune Shirow, Have any of you seen that new bullpup style AK? I got to check one out the day I got my saiga, but I don't like how the 30 round mag is hard to load/unload du to the grip. Maybe it would work with the Saiga-12, their extended mags have a gentler curve.

Edited by dayan inikhaton

I encourage everyone to apply english as they learned it in school.The worst thing in the world is hearing someone with a southern drawl suddenly hit one word that they use the queen's english for.

For an intermediate example imagine trying to speak with a fake english accent , sigh-ga would probably fit right in.

For an extreme example if we were in mexico everybody probably calls George Whore-hay.

Edited by gdblair
I encourage everyone to apply english as they learned it in school.The worst thing in the world is hearing someone with a southern drawl suddenly hit one word that they use the queen's english for.

For an intermediate example imagine trying to speak with a fake english accent , sigh-ga would probably fit right in.

For an extreme example if we were in mexico everybody probably calls George Whore-hay.

Sounds a lot like my HS English teacher! We had to read the tales of "Don Jew'-un."

Bill

There is wisdom in what you say GDB.

A question, though. Why, after 5 months as a member. have you chosen to break your silence on this topic?

Edited by pogy
I'm new to this weapon and don't want to sound like an idiot when I go to the next gun show. How do you pronounce SAIGA? I really enjoy this site and plan on getting a .223 cal soon. Thanks in advance

The Correct way to Say the name of Our Favorite Weapon, which we All Need To Know, since we spend untold dollars and time playing w/ them.....is.........and the Envelope Please.......

"Saiga"...Just how it Looks! LOL....

Really, it's Saiga, JUST LIKE YOU PRONOUNCE 'SAIGON' - as in Vietnam..."Saiga, like Saigon , replacing the 'gon' w/ a 'ga' (guh). End of that subject! * A Russian Told Me That! ......try it.... "Sai.....Guh" ...got it?

BS012

AK-Defense-Force

Edited by BullShark012
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Or how bout a newbie who wants to learn it right, and not sound like a jackhole?

I'm not snobby nosed, I just want to respect the inventor, and pronounce they way it was intended.

But it is "sigh-ga", a lot of people here(USA) pronounce it wrong. Kind like the M-1 Garand