How can a barrel be threaded?

There's plenty of general threads on the forum about threading the barrel.

I haven't done mine yet, but I hear all you need to do is punch the pins holding the FSB on and move it back one pin and then thread the section of barrel that shows with a threading die.

Just for info, my 308 outer diameter is .695", which I think is thicker than x39 barrels, so you may need to file the diam. down some.

Best of luck!

Acer

I haven't done mine yet, but I hear all you need to do is punch the pins holding the FSB on and move it back one pin and then thread the section of barrel that shows with a threading die.

Just for info, my 308 outer diameter is .695", which I think is thicker than x39 barrels, so you may need to file the diam. down some.

Best of luck!

Acer

In your description, did you skip a step or do you not feel that drilling a new rear pin groove in the barrel is necessary?

Best of luck!

Acer

In your description, did you skip a step or do you not feel that drilling a new rear pin groove in the barrel is necessary?

He hasn't done his...

To do it 14x1 LH threading you need to turn the barrel down.

Otherwise if you want to thread the barrel without turning, you can do 5/8-24 or M17x1 depending on the diameter under the front sight block.

Then you need to bore the front sight block so it can sit rearward about 0.600", then reinstall and drill and new rear pin hole.

Then just find an attachment with the proper threading. (Or someone to rethread and existing one)

You will need a muzzle nut or a crush washer to index the attachment if it need to be indexed.

:up:

I may have a Dinzag adapter for sale soon.

I need to do a post mortem on my "beast" break it had some "issues" the other day at the range.

I will wait untill I can work on it objectively before I clean it up and figure what happened.

Of course I will post pix.

Best of luck!

Acer

He hasn't done his...

To do it 14x1 LH threading you need to turn the barrel down.

Otherwise if you want to thread the barrel without turning, you can do 5/8-24 or M17x1 depending on the diameter under the front sight block.

Then you need to bore the front sight block so it can sit rearward about 0.600", then reinstall and drill and new rear pin hole.

Then just find an attachment with the proper threading. (Or someone to rethread and existing one)

You will need a muzzle nut or a crush washer to index the attachment if it need to be indexed.

:up:

If you are going to the trouble of turning the barrel-I had to pull my bbl so I could put it between centers (bbl too big to fit through tailstock hole). Since you turn it down for the 14x1LH thread, just cut the step for the front sight on the bbl. back a little, rather than boring the sight base.. I also had to cut off the front crown on the sight. Then two new cross cuts for the pins. Now I can put all 7.62-38 accesories on my saiga 308... you can file index,too. Screw down your muzzle brake of choice, until it bottoms out under some torque. Remove and carefully to remain square, file a little with a fine file off the back (where it bottoms on the sight base)Try again. And so on until it come up to where you want it. Takes time, but neat and tidy.

• 4 weeks later...