It is against 922r compliance for you to use a magazine that holds over 10 rounds in a Saiga rifle as imported, if you make the rifle 922r compliant by removing a few Russian parts and adding a few American parts then it is not a big deal.

Of course this only applies to America, everyone else gets the cool version of the Saiga from the factory.

It is not hard to find higher capacity magazines for a Saiga, there are all kinds of retailers that sell them online.

Well they are no more illegal than your state laws regulating hi-cap mags, and they aren't that hard to find. There is a 30 rounder made specifically for Saiga .223's (look up Joe Lowe Clips on the internet) or Eurpean made 5.56's (see J&G's website.) Galil Orlites work also and they are either 35 or 50 rounds. Just look around a little more--you'll find them.

Edited by tritium
do i have to mod my .223? i hear alot of ppl talking about modding the gun or the mags

The Saiga specific ones need no mods. Orlites need just a bit of shaving of the width. Think there is info in the tech section on this and also on modding Weiger mags.

im gonna get the joe lowe ones.

You don't have to modify your gun to make them work, but you do have to make mods to use them legally -- that's Federal law. Depending on where you live, your State may also have limits on magazine capacity (like Kalifornia, Maryland, New Jersey and New York).

Make sure you read up on 922R -- that's the section of US Code that applies to imported rifles like the Saiga. I tried to put some of the information together on my web site.

Just make sure you understand the legalities -- and the fact that just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's legal.

Jim

anyone happen to know why swapping parts that I'm assuming don't affect performance in any way or make the gun somehow select fire should make a gun compliant? I mean 30 round mags aren't illegal, this gun isn't illegal, but put them together and you have a potential SWAT situation? :cryss: What's the deal? Sounds hard to enforce anyway.

Edited by dayan inikhaton
im gonna get the joe lowe ones.

You don't have to modify your gun to make them work, but you do have to make mods to use them legally -- that's Federal law. Depending on where you live, your State may also have limits on magazine capacity (like Kalifornia, Maryland, New Jersey and New York).

Make sure you read up on 922R ................the fact that just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's legal.

Jim

Are there any HC mags with US parts? I can't tell from the descriptions on the web - Joe Lowe Clips and SureFire aren't specific....any first hand info? .....anyone....anyone.....Bueller....