Unconverted vs Converted

Got talking to a guy at work about my x39, he knows nothing about guns, but hit me with a question I couldn't answer. I explained to him the whole conversion and 922r stuff, and how most people want them converted and what not. Then he asked me about mine being non-converted and asked "Well would it be worth more in the future converted, or kept in factory configuration?". I guess I had never thought about it, but what do you guys think? Would there be a substantial difference in price between the two, years down the road? Kinda like collectibles that are unopened or untampered with being worth more. Or would it not even matter? I've had the time to save a little more money, and would definitely be up for getting another x39, keeping it factory, maybe even unfired in the box, if it was worth it. Also, maybe it would gimme some balls about doing the conversion, knowing I have a another on hand :rolleyes: .

Edited by 22_Shooter

Good question.

Well, IMO, it depends on the buyer. If the buyer knows nothing about AKs, then you can get the going price for AKs for it. If he is a collector and it is 20 years from now, it will prolly be worth alot less, although Its possible that 20 years from now, potato guns will be refered to as assault weapons, in which case if you are selling it 20 years from now, it will be in some desolated area at 3 in the morning.

If it is a person who knows quality AKs and the conversion is done right, it will be worth more.

Here is the skinny: You need to do this conversion. The knowledge you will gain from doing it is priceless. After doing the conversion, you will be able to field strip that puppy and if anything ever goes wrong with it, you will know how it works and what to look for. A converted Saiga is the best quality AK you can get, save for a milled receiver AK, but milled AKs are like ARs, you wouldn't dare take it out and shoot it in the rain (if you were to shoot it at all).

She is a hot sexy little Russian that someone dressed up like a librarian. Strip those clothes off of her and let her hair down. She deserves to be a saucey hotblooded Russian AK. When you shoot her, don't baby her. You can be rough with her, she likes it, da!

I see what you mean. I was just looking at it like an investment and wanted to see what people thought about it. About the conversion, I know, trust me. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the gun all the time. I think the time is coming soon......hopefully. Well, as of right now, I have no means of buying online anyway (long story), but next week or so, I will. So maybe then, I will start finally picking up some parts for the conversion. I'm sure after I do it, I'll be like "Damn, that wasn't THAT hard, why did I wait so long??". One more thing Vermiform, you mind if I take your last paragraph and use it in my sig? That was frickin' priceless! :lolol:

P.S.

Almost 100 views and only 1 response??? Come on you bastards :haha: :haha: .

Ok Ok I'm busted, now personally I think that if you have a conversion done right nobody will be able to tell its a conversion. The only way they would know is if they recognized the "saiga" name on the side, and put 2 and 2 together to make 4.

If you do a good job its worth more, if you weld the bullet guide in and fubar the truinon well...there ya go making expensive paper weights again

All very good points. I guess I will just convert the one I have, and not worry about stashing one for the future. BUT, I have been thinking about getting one in another caliber. :unsure:

P.S.

I'm gonna go ahead and take that paragraph I wanted from Vermiform's post :haha: . Credit will be given of course :D .

(Vermiform, if for some reason, you don't like the idea, lemme know, I'll remove it.............maybe :devil::haha: )

I see what you mean. I was just looking at it like an investment and wanted to see what people thought about it. About the conversion, I know, trust me. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the gun all the time. I think the time is coming soon......hopefully. Well, as of right now, I have no means of buying online anyway (long story), but next week or so, I will. So maybe then, I will start finally picking up some parts for the conversion. I'm sure after I do it, I'll be like "Damn, that wasn't THAT hard, why did I wait so long??". One more thing Vermiform, you mind if I take your last paragraph and use it in my sig? That was frickin' priceless! :lolol:

P.S.

Just a thought, but I would never look at a gun or jewelry you buy your wife as an investment. It may appreciate but don't count on it. I have pre-89 weapons that are supposedly worth 4-5 times what I paid for them, but they aren't for sale. An investment is something that you purchase with the intent to sell, if that is the case there are more appropriate venues IMHO.

An investment? Hmmm, in saving your life when SHTF, yes! It's not going to matter which way you go, except when you have a lot of people after you and you can run those hi-cap magazines and keep it cool with a vented handguard. Get lots of ammo.

Remember, people!!! the Feds just cut the Fed Funds Rate AND the Discount Rate by half a point each today! This means inflation. Get out of the dollar! Put your dollars into supplies, ammo, more guns, especially silver/gold!

By the time SHTF, America might have fallen and the US Dollar just a piece of paper no one will take!

An investment? Hmmm, in saving your life when SHTF, yes! It's not going to matter which way you go, except when you have a lot of people after you and you can run those hi-cap magazines and keep it cool with a vented handguard. Get lots of ammo.

Remember, people!!! the Feds just cut the Fed Funds Rate AND the Discount Rate by half a point each today! This means inflation. Get out of the dollar! Put your dollars into supplies, ammo, more guns, especially silver/gold!

By the time SHTF, America might have fallen and the US Dollar just a piece of paper no one will take!

I have always thought of my firearms as investments. I have never bought one single rifle or pistol that wouldn't sell for more now than when I bought it. I am not saying all guns are money makers, but take something like the SKS rifles. You could buy unissued ones for $129 a couple of years ago, and now are $200.

This year I have been buying some silver eagles (minted by US Mint). They are 99.9 percent pure silver (one troy ounce) and I paid about $16-17 each.

I checked Ebay today and the price on most of them today jumped to $34 or more . It may go higher tomorrow, but I will start selling soon.

I am not saying I have a lot of silver, but if I sell now I could buy another Saiga with my profit.

louielouie

I'm not a big collector. All I care about is performance. The only physical difference That I see is that the trigger group is closer to the back of the reciever. I have big hands so that doesn't interfere with reloading, though I may want to find a mag well guide. I think the money I save for not making the Saiga more AK looking will go to other things- sling, mags, reflex sight- ect.

I think the money I save for not making the Saiga more AK looking will go to other things- sling, mags, reflex sight- ect.

I have been wanting an EOTech badly, so maybe that will be my next purchase.......after my conversion.

Edited by 22_Shooter
This year I have been buying some silver eagles (minted by US Mint). They are 99.9 percent pure silver (one troy ounce) and I paid about $16-17 each.

I checked Ebay today and the price on most of them today jumped to $34 or more . It may go higher tomorrow, but I will start selling soon.

Ah, ah! No! It is not time to start selling any time soon! You wait until the right time, you'll be able to buy ANYTHING you want. PM me to find out why! No, I'm not going to sell you anything, just to clarify something.

Ah, ah! No! It is not time to start selling any time soon! You wait until the right time, you'll be able to buy ANYTHING you want. PM me to find out why! No, I'm not going to sell you anything, just to clarify something.

PM me and tell me too. You have my interest piqued.

PM me and tell me too. You have my interest piqued.

Yes, please tell. I'd like that PM too, if that's OK with you :D .